***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MISSOURI STATE IN-GAME THREAD***

Have not had a chance to watch either game, so I can't provide any incisive analysis, but a person can't be impressed by beating a bad team by only a few points. The Gophers are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to be able to compete against Big Ten teams. Looking at the box score, the depressing part is being outrebounded - both offensive and total - yet again. Will we have a game this year where we're not outrebounded?

And when we outrebound somebody by 10 and lose by 20 will you be happy? The team with the most points wins. Rebounding is a factor but one of many. If a team's most dangerous aspect is running and finishing off missed shots, then rebounding is critical. That's not who we are. We don't often outlet and bang, bang we got a layout. How do they do that? That's not us. Every team needs offensive putbacks.
It is an emphasis for all teams but it's a knack, a skill, a trait of somebody's individual game more than anything and we don't have those guys. Buggs and Morris knife through and deliver one here and there.
What's important varies with each game depending on the opponent. You can't get destroyed on the boards and win typically but getting beat on the boards by a handful is not the deciding factor very often.
You gotta score...you gotta contest shots...you do have to minimize second chance points...they'll kill you...but you can do that and still get out rebounded and win. jmo

There are two stats that most often tell you who won a game.
Rebounding and...turnovers.
Without looking at a score, give me those two stats and I will very likely tell you who won.

It's easy to see the improvement by Bakary already this year. Diedhiou on the other hand...it will be nice when we get the other big guys next year.

Diedhiou is still pretty raw but he's got a ton of talent, he needs to develop to the point where he can get some meaningful minutes in the second half and hopefully it happens by the start of the Big Ten season. Kind of hoping he red shirts next year.

Probably an unpopular statement ahead; however, I always feel better when King is on the bench near the end of a close game. Always have.

Why would you want the team's best overall shooter and one of the best free throw shooters on the bench near the end of a close game?

The team is not going to be good this year, but there is promise for the future. As for rebounding, what would people expect when our Power Forwards are Buggs and King; neither of whom show much ability/interest in getting rebounds. Konate is much improved, but that is it and we're not going to get much else.

We are building to be an athletic, perimeter oriented team. Right now, the lack of three point shooting is a much bigger issue than our rebounding. Next year, with the addition of Coffey and Hurt, I expect our three point shooting will be up dramatically.

Have not had a chance to watch either game, so I can't provide any incisive analysis, but a person can't be impressed by beating a bad team by only a few points. The Gophers are going to have to improve by leaps and bounds to be able to compete against Big Ten teams. Looking at the box score, the depressing part is being outrebounded - both offensive and total - yet again. Will we have a game this year where we're not outrebounded?

Just like the game against Temple, the big difference today was the contrast in performances of the starters vs. the bench. The starters shot 50% from the field, 65% from 3 point range, and outscored their starters 55-34. The bench shot 33% from the field, 33% from 3 point range, and was outscored 19-35 by their bench. We do not have quality depth but we do need to develop a more capable bench so I'm fine with Pitino being willing to sacrifice point spreads in order to develop the bench and rest the starters wherever he can.

Kind of hoping he red shirts next year.

You really want him taking a scholarship for five years instead of four? At this point I'm wishing that he only takes a scholarship for two years.

I don't see a "ton of talent" or skill. He does have a ton of size which he sometimes puts to good use in blocking a lane or setting a screen.

You really want him taking a scholarship for five years instead of four? At this point I'm wishing that he only takes a scholarship for two years.

I don't see a "ton of talent" or skill. He does have a ton of size which he sometimes puts to good use in blocking a lane or setting a screen.

I'm in the same boat, but I don't see it happening.

Flexible schedule allowed me to watch from start to finish today. Pleased with three point shooting and Joey doing what he needs to do. Very pleased with Bakary's play. Mason is solid. Dorsey will be very good someday and I can see him breaking out before this season is done. Pitino clearly has confidence in him having him on the floor at crunch time and I can see why despite the horrible turnover in the last two minutes. I'm with Selection on Morris. He is what he is, but appears more disciplined than last year.

The zone offense was really bad, though. Way too many threes without even a look inside. Hard to know if that's the players or the coaches not working on it much yet.

I'm not panicking on the fouls yet. The transition to the new rules is going to be rough and have lots of teams in foul trouble until it all settles. I'm liking the fewer timeouts and coaches not calling them while the ball is in play. It appears the game is being sped up a bit which is good.

Right now, based on limited viewing and early season growing pains, I am declaring it above my expectations so far.

Why would you want the team's best overall shooter and one of the best free throw shooters on the bench near the end of a close game?

Because he still makes a lot of silly mistakes. Mistakes he shouldn't be making this late into his collegiate career.

Because he still makes a lot of silly mistakes. Mistakes he shouldn't be making this late into his collegiate career.

I don't understand all the Morris and King bashing that goes on here. They have limitations, sure, but this team will win games because of Morris and King this year, not despite them.

I don't understand all the Morris and King bashing that goes on here. They have limitations, sure, but this team will win games because of Morris and King this year, not despite them.

Second that.

I seem to recall King being our best player in the B1G Tournament last year, and it appears that play has carried over into this season. Folks, Joey is never going to be a volume rebounder, so accept that and appreciate the other things he give us.

Ditto for Morris. Squirrel is going to make us pull our hair out from time to time with his shot selection (OK, lots of times), but he's still one of our best players. The freshmen are going to get a lot of minutes this year, and deservedly so, but the fact is if this team has any chance to surprise us, King, Morris, and Mason will have to do the heavy lifting.

Just like the game against Temple, the big difference today was the contrast in performances of the starters vs. the bench. The starters shot 50% from the field, 65% from 3 point range, and outscored their starters 55-34. The bench shot 33% from the field, 33% from 3 point range, and was outscored 19-35 by their bench. We do not have quality depth but we do need to develop a more capable bench so I'm fine with Pitino being willing to sacrifice point spreads in order to develop the bench and rest the starters wherever he can.

Dorsey will need to shoot a higher percentage. He does make his free throws, though, which is big.

People have said the same thing about Buggs and he is developing into an important contributor, I think Diehdiou is ultimately going to end up very similiar he just needs more time. He's got a ton of physical talent, not to many players his size that are as quick as he is, jaw dropping quickness, he just has no idea how to play the game yet.

I watched Oklahoma State today and they look very beatable...Aside from them the rest of the non conference isn't too bad. Clemson is at home and Texas Tech/Miss St will be easier than Temple in my opinion. The team could drop one against the cupcakes but could also come out of non conference with only 1 or 2 losses.

Doesn't tell the whole story, but he's had 1 turnover in four games. But you go ahead and hope he's on the bench because you're obviously such a basketball genius. Pretty sure we don't win without him today.

Well until Murphy or Gaston prove to be better or Konate can stay out of foul trouble. Not happening.

Doesn't tell the whole story, but he's had 1 turnover in four games. But you go ahead and hope he's on the bench because you're obviously such a basketball genius. Pretty sure we don't win without him today.

He probably wanted Malik to replace Austin two years ago, member that crowd lol

He probably wanted Malik to replace Austin two years ago, member that crowd lol

Lots of sensitive people on this board. I guess that's why we're Gopher fans - we're used to be beaten up on so we get defensive. I didn't say I didn't want him in the game (HELLO!), I said I prefer him on the bench late in the game when it's close and trust me, we may have won the game thinks to his hot shooting but like I said, he makes too many mistakes as far as I'm concerned. He fouled the Mo St guy with less than 20 seconds left and we had a 6 point game. This caused MO St to come to within 3.

I guess we think differently.

I watched Oklahoma State today and they look very beatable...Aside from them the rest of the non conference isn't too bad. Clemson is at home and Texas Tech/Miss St will be easier than Temple in my opinion. The team could drop one against the cupcakes but could also come out of non conference with only 1 or 2 losses.

In fairness to Oklahoma State, Cowboys played without their best player today, Phil Forte.

Lots of sensitive people on this board. I guess that's why we're Gopher fans - we're used to be beaten up on so we get defensive. I didn't say I didn't want him in the game (HELLO!), I said I prefer him on the bench late in the game when it's close and trust me, we may have won the game thinks to his hot shooting but like I said, he makes too many mistakes as far as I'm concerned. He fouled the Mo St guy with less than 20 seconds left and we had a 6 point game. This caused MO St to come to within 3.

I guess we think differently.
And Chris Weber called a time out when there wasn't one in the 93 title game. DRose was shooting free throws with a noose around his neck in 08. King's one of our better players, you put your best guys on the floor in winning time. Can't judge a dude on one play. Besides there isn't an adequate replacement on the roster for Joey in those situations yet. Same reason Squirrel was on the floor so much last year. Once Day Day got arrested there was no one Pitino could sub in to hold him accountable. If were going to judge dudes off on play murphy couldn't get a rebound when it mattered vs Temple, so how is he suppose t replace King. Buggs playes for Konate because he gets in foul trouble and Gaston, need I say more?

The Gophers won't win 6 Conference games. Why?
1. No inside game
2. Rebounding ( They refuse to block out )
3. Carlos Morris: He still hasn't learned from last year. He is all for Carlos
4. Buggs: Like .Morris, lacking in basketball smarts.
5. Marginal Freshmen. The only two I see as 4 yer contributers are Dorsey and Murphy.

If my comment was too harsh for your sensitive soul, perhaps you shouldn't read sports message boards.

You seem to be the overly sensitive one. You could be right, you could be way off, give it some time before you write him off and want him off the team.

The Gophers won't win 6 Conference games. Why?
1. No inside game
2. Rebounding ( They refuse to block out )
3. Carlos Morris: He still hasn't learned from last year. He is all for Carlos
4. Buggs: Like .Morris, lacking in basketball smarts.
5. Marginal Freshmen. The only two I see as 4 yer contributers are Dorsey and Murphy.

Pretty impressive that you can determine that after just three games.

(ruppertflywheel: 5. Marginal Freshmen. The only two I see as 4 yer contributors are Dorsey and Murphy.)
Pretty impressive that you can determine that after just three games.

excluding the marginal part, I generally expect them to learn for two years then become two year contributors as Juniors and Seniors. Having two of four turn out to be 4 year contributors would be outstanding.

One thing is clear: there are more quality players on this team than top notch analytics on this board. This team will get better, but will we???
Stay tuned...

One thing is clear: there are more quality players on this team than top notch analytics on this board. This team will get better, but will we???
Stay tuned...

Ouch! I resemble that remark! I'm retreating to my safe space so I don't have to read it any more!

Top Bottom