***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS MARYLAND BTT 2ND ROUND IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

We’ve made Maryland look very good the two times we’ve played. It’s a brutal matchup for us with their guards.

Stay in this thing as long as possible and see what happens in the end.

We’ve made Maryland look very good the two times we’ve played. It’s a brutal matchup for us with their guards.

Not a boxing fan, eh? Never heard of a rope a dope. Maryland won’t know what hit them.

Maryland are 2-3 in their last 5 games losing to Nebraska and Ohio state. Two teams gophers beat so there’s a chance lol
Maryland is like most of the teams in the Big Ten this year where they can look really good and they can look really bad. Looking at their schedule they have been almost unbeatable at home but have struggled on the road.

They are a tough matchup for us with their guard play but you never know. We will have to shoot as well as we did last night to keep the season rolling.

Gophers still playing while WI season is done. Ya love to see it
All snark aside--who do you think views the season more positively?

I know wisconsin had the better record but very disappointing for them. They had a few upper classmen they relied on heavily and their coach is (likely) on the hot seat.

The gophers were miserable for much of the season, played four freshman a ton of minutes and despite the Evans decommit--the coach seems prepared to be back next year. They also showed improvement down the stretch.

Neither team can be happy, and I dont know who is viewing it more positively.

True, but we've already avenged one of our 35 point losses so tonight we'll see how we can do against the other perpetrator.

I would say us right now because success has been very rare for us this season and not very common over the last four seasons. In other words, our expectations are lower and we're fairly happy with improvement and at least some feelings of positivity for the future.

Wisconsin has been good for so long that most of their fans probably barely remember what it was like to be unsuccessful (haven't been unsuccessful for about 30 years). The majority of their fans probably expect to make the NCAA tournament virtually every year so falling short of that would be considered failure. Many of them probably don't understand that the long successful streak of that magnitude was mostly due to hiring a Hall of Fame coach and those don't grow on trees. His successor was his protege and has done pretty darn well but likely can't match his mentor over the long run.

All snark aside--who do you think views the season more positively?

I know wisconsin had the better record but very disappointing for them. They had a few upper classmen they relied on heavily and their coach is (likely) on the hot seat.

The gophers were miserable for much of the season, played four freshman a ton of minutes and despite the Evans decommit--the coach seems prepared to be back next year. They also showed improvement down the stretch.

Wisconsin, IMO. Essegian looks like he’ll be a problem on the wing for 3 more years. He’s the best thing to come out of either team’s season. Plus, on the positive side for most wisco fans - they now have two reasons to get rid of Gard… he lost the locker room two years ago and now missed the tournament. Johnny Davis single handedly extended Gard’s reign by 2-3 years past what he’s earned. But that’s in the review mirror.

I would say us right now because success has been very rare for us this season and not very common over the last four seasons. In other words, our expectations are lower and we're fairly happy with improvement and at least some feelings of positivity for the future.

Wisconsin has been good for so long that most of their fans probably barely remember what it was like to be unsuccessful (haven't been unsuccessful for about 30 years). The majority of their fans probably expect to make the NCAA tournament virtually every year so falling short of that would be considered failure. Many of them probably don't understand that the long successful streak of that magnitude was mostly due to hiring a Hall of Fame coach and those don't grow on trees. His successor was his protege and has done pretty darn well but likely can't match his mentor over the long run.
I wonder how soon the natives start getting restless in regards to Gard. He hasn't been bad but has fallen well short of Bo Ryan, especially in the NCAA tournament.

Getting back to the game at hand tonight. No lose situation for the Gophers, nobody expected them to get by Nebraska....so they should just go out loose and try to pull another upset.

I understand our season likely ends tonight, but let's go out with a fight, not a 30 point lay down and take it kind of loss.
Right with ya. Play hard, take good shots.

Who else is pulling for a Ohio State Minnesota final?

Top Bottom