***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA VS ILLILNOIS IN-GAME THREAD***

Yes, the failure of the coach to make offensive adjustments after the initial surge was frustrating, but there were questionable roster management decisions as well in the game.

1) I didn't understand why Pitino didn't have Dorsey (a much better free throw shooter than McBrayer and quicker in driving to the hoop) on the floor in the final minutes of regulation.

2) I can't believe I'm saying this but I think he should have played Bakary more earlier in the game. King was just too small to guard Maverick Morgan (or Michael Finke).

3) Given the difficulty of scoring in the final minutes of regulation, I think he should have taken the chance and put Carlos back in during the overtime.

Morris did come in for McBrayer about a minute into OT after McBrayer turned it over. I think Morris went for a floater right when we got the ball back and missed it pretty bad.

This game was lost when we were up 5, rolling, with just under 3 minutes to play, and we started playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Can't fathom that when you're an 0-7 (now 0-8) team. Absolutely nothing to lose. Then we get tight, miss free throws, and presto it's overtime.

Play to win instead of going into the end of shot clock garbage shots. Frustrating. Feel bad for the players. They're down. They need to taste a win real soon. Somehow have to beat somebody before Rutgers comes to town. Bottom line is Gophers don't know how to win right now.
The thing is a couple of the times even when they ran the shot clock down they had chances for good shots towards the end of the clock and still passed it up. The one time Mason penetrated and kicked to King for an open 3 with about 6 left on the shot clock and King pump fakes instead of shooting right away and gets himself into a way worse shot that I don't even think got the rim.

The thing is a couple of the times even when they ran the shot clock down they had chances for good shots towards the end of the clock and still passed it up. The one time Mason penetrated and kicked to King for an open 3 with about 6 left on the shot clock and King pump fakes instead of shooting right away and gets himself into a way worse shot that I don't even think got the rim.

That was very frustrating. He was open right away. Pitino got mad at him as well.

Carlos Morris is so freaking bad it's difficult to watch. I'm getting tired of the way Pitino rips into these kids too. They roll their eyes at him, flail their arms and can't even make eye contact with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to feel bad for the players because this team is absolutely dreadful. Rutgers will beat the Gophers in NJ and it's a tossup as to the winner at Williams. A lot of you say to wait until next year but I'm not sure a couple of new players is going to right this ship.

I'm high on him too. I'd like to see him knock down a few shots to help me be real high on him. But he'll be a force both going to the hole and in transition. He's also going to be very nice at the top of the press.

He's good at many things. But if he can't shoot 3's or FT's it's going to limit his ceiling. Right now you can't have him in there late in a close game because of the FT shooting, as we saw last night. I'm not sure that's something that comes in time. Usually shooting ability is what it is. At best, you can get modest improvement like we saw from Al Nolen, etc.

McBrayer will be a really good Big Ten player, if he chooses to stick around. I have no concerns about that. Tough night for him last night, no doubt.

He's good at many things. But if he can't shoot 3's or FT's it's going to limit his ceiling. Right now you can't have him in there late in a close game because of the FT shooting, as we saw last night. I'm not sure that's something that comes in time. Usually shooting ability is what it is. At best, you can get modest improvement like we saw from Al Nolen, etc.

3 point shooting may never come. Free throw shooting can easily change. Lots of players go from poor free throw shooters to good in one year.

Carlos Morris is so freaking bad it's difficult to watch. I'm getting tired of the way Pitino rips into these kids too. They roll their eyes at him, flail their arms and can't even make eye contact with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are lot of coaches who really rip into players but Pitino isn't one who I really notice it with I also haven't noticed guys rolling their eyes and not even looking at him like you claim but maybe I just missed it. There are times where Pitino really gets on the upperclassmen and usually it is well deserved for some kind of mental mistake. I've noticed Pitino talking to guys especially the young guys when they come off the floor and trying to pick them back up and help them learn from a mistake like when McBrayer came out after a couple mistakes in OT.

I noticed Jarvis Johnson was on the bench yesterday. Anyone know is he is usually there? I don't remember seeing him before.

I noticed Jarvis Johnson was on the bench yesterday. Anyone know is he is usually there? I don't remember seeing him before.
Yep always there home or away encouraging guys. Know it is killing him not being able to play but he seems like an absolutely great teammate.

Top Bottom