***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT wisconsin NEW YEARS EVE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I’m not talking about your officiating comments. Its everything. You act as if no one else has ever learned about, watched, played, coached or officiated the game. You make long, drawn out posts that go nowhere. You use catch phrases to sound smart but rarely take a stance. You know a lot but have to qualify every post about how much you were taught, who taught you and then qualify it all by talking about a slow motion frame by frame analysis.

Do you have access to camera angles the rest of us don’t?
Of course i do not have access for different angles than you do. I take stance on it being a well officiated game, i take a stance on being a poor defensive program for 7 years. Exactly what did i not take a stance on.Who taught me ? I never claimed no one else played the game, officiated or watched. Pass on my posts if you hate them so much. I pass on plenty and enjoy most, especially the healthy exchange of different opinions.

Of course i do not have access for different angles than you do. I take stance on it being a well officiated game, i take a stance on being a poor defensive program for 7 years. Exactly what did i not take a stance on.Who taught me ? I never claimed no one else played the game, officiated or watched. Pass on my posts if you hate them so much. I pass on plenty and enjoy most, especially the healthy exchange of different opinions.

I said you have some great posts but the % of them that includes how you were taught to watch or how smart people taught you is nauseating. We all know this by now. Its like when someone posts their thoughts and adds “IMO”. Very redundant.

I said you have some great posts but the % of them that includes how you were taught to watch or how smart people taught you is nauseating. We all know this by now. Its like when someone posts their thoughts and adds “IMO”. Very redundant.
Oh well we can not all post to your standard. I will strive to up my game. You have no idea who my teachers were.

Couldn't watch todays game but the shooting stats are brutal. We shoot 30% and WI 50% and from 3 it's 22/40%. We took 31 3's ouch.

Nailed it. Not much more needs to be said.

Tell us the names of your teachers.
Figures to bore people. 1st instruction was Pete Newell, Next was Phil Woolpert. Then after school i started scouting as a hobby, then worked Clinics. From there it simply never stopped and the best teacher i ever met was my father who taught us that everyone was our teacher. As i backed off a crazy business schedule i was introduced by clients to Dick Bennett whom coaches had always talked about. Most grateful to so many. In Minnesota i learned things from Ken Novak, Dave Thorson and i had several long visits with Ray Finley, the old Breck girls coach who had a brilliant way of explaining how defense was the most important part of the game because of what it did to the other team and how it toughened your own team. He got that from a Bennett clinic but it brought us closer. I have learned things from people on here who by reading what they wrote caused me to pause, ponder, process and adapt to a different way of looking at things.

Why do we always complain about the officiating in these game day threads? Every single game.
Great question. Best i can think of is it is human nature to see what you want, believe what you want is human nature but often very different then seeing things for what they are, seeking truth. We live in a blame society. It is the refs fault seems a easy target. Complaining about officiating is not my thing. I respect the work they do. Difficult and thankless. Makes more sense to decipher how and the why we could not be continuious on defense for 40 minutes. We sure did it for 20. What adjustments did Gard make. How did they perfect the hard hedge. Did we run enough sides ? If not, why not. Did see good things again. Gabe has his feet, shoulders lined up and better rhythm . Robbins keeps going forward, Johnson showed a physicality.

Not a single person here even tried to blame the refs for the loss. But they sure as hell didn't do us any favors.
They are not suppose to do anyone favors. One thing we can all agree on is what a pleasure it was to see a game from the Kohl Center once again without Bo Ryan swearing at the refs.

All I know is that you can’t say Both without Boo!

He needs a reboot.

Why is the officiating so inconsistent?
Because refs are too slow to be perfect
Refs make assumptions rather than call what they see because if they just call what they see they miss a lot.
Some of their assumptions are wrong and lead to bad calls.

I don’t think there is any conspiracy for or against teams. I do think generally officiating in college basketball is really bad and inconsistent. It makes it hard for me to watch college basketball outside of Minnesota.

Great question. Best i can think of is it is human nature to see what you want, believe what you want is human nature but often very different then seeing things for what they are, seeking truth. We live in a blame society. It is the refs fault seems a easy target. Complaining about officiating is not my thing. I respect the work they do. Difficult and thankless. Makes more sense to decipher how and the why we could not be continuious on defense for 40 minutes. We sure did it for 20. What adjustments did Gard make. How did they perfect the hard hedge. Did we run enough sides ? If not, why not. Did see good things again. Gabe has his feet, shoulders lined up and better rhythm . Robbins keeps going forward, Johnson showed a physicality.
Thinking college basketball officiating is terrible and inconsistent isn’t the same thing as saying the gophers have a disadvantage because of it.

Because refs are too slow to be perfect
Refs make assumptions rather than call what they see because if they just call what they see they miss a lot.
Some of their assumptions are wrong and lead to bad calls.

I don’t think there is any conspiracy for or against teams. I do think generally officiating in college basketball is really bad and inconsistent. It makes it hard for me to watch college basketball outside of Minnesota.
Nice theory.
Missing calls that are blatant, such as Reuvers twice using a full shoulder while bent over, within 2 seconds, is intentional. Hard to miss a 7 footer bent over throwing shoulders. In a bb game.
Wi plays great defense. However their “reputation “ for playing so clean they rarely foul the opposition is full on rubbish.

Nice theory.
Missing calls that are blatant, such as Reuvers twice using a full shoulder while bent over, within 2 seconds, is intentional. Hard to miss a 7 footer bent over throwing shoulders. In a bb game.
Wi plays great defense. However their “reputation “ for playing so clean they rarely foul the opposition is full on rubbish.
Just curious, how is it that year after year they get far less fouls called on them then their opponents ? To my eye it is because they play defense by moving their feet. They stress not grabbing and clutching and spend as much time or more on every detail of defense. What are you seeing on a consistent basis that refs, analysts , journalists and coaches are missing.Being serious, just asking for your opinion. There should be volumes of video examples that reveal what is actually happening.

Thinking college basketball officiating is terrible and inconsistent isn’t the same thing as saying the gophers have a disadvantage because of it.
Agree but i do not think it is terrible, just really difficult.They miss calls, some get corrected. They try for equal application and consistency . The way they have to watch is so different than a fan. Fans often watch the ball, these guys try to watch everything.

Nice theory.
Google Hanlon’s razor

there is likely some implicit bias of some teams getting the benefit of the doubt though on a call here or there

Agree but i do not think it is terrible, just really difficult.They miss calls, some get corrected. They try for equal application and consistency . The way they have to watch is so different than a fan. Fans often watch the ball, these guys try to watch everything.
I disagree they do a good job.

I do agree with you there is no outright bias.

Just curious, how is it that year after year they get far less fouls called on them then their opponents ? To my eye it is because they play defense by moving their feet. They stress not grabbing and clutching and spend as much time or more on every detail of defense. What are you seeing on a consistent basis that refs, analysts , journalists and coaches are missing.Being serious, just asking for your opinion. There should be volumes of video examples that reveal what is actually happening.

Year after year? Their "reputation".

There are volumes of video examples. You proved yesterday - after you "missed" Reuvers and Davison doing what they do - that your lens is far, far from unbiased. Davison does the same thing - over and over and over again - pushing off. Never gets called. I thought that the chicken wing was a "point of emphasis" at some point not long ago?

I agree WI plays great defense. They dont play defense that leads to the FT attempt discrepancies that have been common in favor of WI for years.

Discussing players using nasty moves let us not forget Potter using an arm illegally to post up or get by a screen.
He was caught at least once last night and it will be interesting to see if the officials call it in the future as the season goes on.
When Kalsheur bumped Reuvers when both were under the basket Kalsheur tried to undercut Reuvers as he fell.

Google Hanlon’s razor

there is likely some implicit bias of some teams getting the benefit of the doubt though on a call here or there
More than here or there. Large FT discrepancies in favor of WI have been happening for a long time. That would not happen if it was here or there.

Not a single person here even tried to blame the refs for the loss. But they sure as hell didn't do us any favors.
Refs are supposed to call the game in a way that favors the Gophers.

😂😂😂😂😂 You can’t make it up.😂😂😂😂😂😂

More than here or there. Large FT discrepancies in favor of WI have been happening for a long time. That would not happen if it was here or there.
Minnesota has been top 20 nationally in free throws made 2 of the last 3 years, if the is a discrepancy...it is likely in our favor statistically

Google Hanlon’s razor

It does happen . I have seen coach K stay on refs and get egregious calls for his team on occasion. It is not perfection. For the most part them do a fine job at something that is hard to do.

To be honest, refs didnt call about 4 fouls on MN drives to the hoop in the first half. I think that scared MN and they didnt adjust and that's on the Gophers.

Badgers are good defensively but were benefactors of a very loosely called game. Pitino needed to adjust and didnt. The gophers then started settling for 3s bc they werent getting calls going to the basket.

Built, you can say WI is perfect but c'mon...the refs influenced the game...legally i may add. I feel as though it would be different if they played again in the barn.

Top Bottom