***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT PURDUE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

So when will we find out the Nebraska game time?

Yeah. They didn’t let bowling green beat them a second time by laying and egg today
Yes, the fear of a double loss to BG, the second one psychological, was very real. On the road in very tough weather conditions.

Last Gopher drive ending with the FG (which meant nothing more than a little field position...)

One more 1st down, or TD you ice the game.

You bring Cole Kramer into the game on 1st and 10 to run the Wildcat, letting a good defensive line know within 95% certainty what the play will be. THREE times in a row!

THAT was lunacy.

Yeah, I know we won, but you are just asking for lightning to strike and end up in OT.

That 3 play set cements my opinion of our OC.

He was bombing the ball today in aweful conditions! Great post!
Crawford had a really good game. His punts, in this weather, and with Purdue’s ability to move the ball, really were needed. He came through big. Did well as the holder of FGs in really bad conditions, too. I’m starting to feel a lot better about our ST play …
6 punts, 51.3 yard average with 4 inside the 20 including one of those on the 1. Crisp holding of the kicks all day including the final one in monsoon conditions. Serious candidate for game ball.

Yeah, I know we won, but you are just asking for lightning to strike and end up in OT.

Yes, but look at it this way. If we didn't kick that field goal, failed to make the first down, and Purdue scored a touchdown, then we likely don't even get to overtime.

Yes, but look at it this way. If we didn't kick that field goal, failed to make the first down, and Purdue scored a touchdown, then we likely don't even get to overtime.
Yeah, I am curious about other opinions, thanks!

Last Gopher drive ending with the FG (which meant nothing more that a little field position...)

One more 1st down, or TD you ice the game.

You bring Cole Kramer into the game on 1st and 10 to run the Wildcat, letting a good defensive line know within 95% certainty what the play will be. THREE times in a row!

THAT was lunacy.

That 3 play set cements my opinion of our OC.
I’m laying off the OC. The last offensive set’s primary purpose was to eat up clock and protect the ball. We’re simply not going to pass in this situation and let an incompletion stop the clock. We were, quite rationally, going to run on each down. If everyone knows we are going to run, we might as well have two running threats in the backfield. Let’s enjoy this win. It was important for the team’s confidence and morale. It was battle. We prevailed. There are better times to complain.

I love Tanner, he seems like an absolutely amazing young man, but I can’t help but envision the day when we have a true dual threat quarterback who provides a run threat as well as a passing threat (Athan someday?). The offense is designed for that, but it is just isn’t Tanner’s skill set.

Would have been nice if Morgan would quite starring at his receiver. several plays we had a second receiver open.

6 punts, 51.3 yard average with 4 inside the 20 including one of those on the 1. Crisp holding of the kicks all day including the final one in monsoon conditions. Serious candidate for game ball.
Kickers were awesome today. Punter had an amazing game, Trickett drilled 2 field goals in ugly conditions and 99 put most of the kickoffs through the endzone. Doesn't get much better than that for those guys. And they did it in bad conditions too boot.

I’m laying off the OC. The last offensive set’s primary purpose was to eat up clock and protect the ball. We’re simply not going to pass in this situation and let an incompletion stop the clock. We were, quite rationally, going to run on each down. If everyone knows we are going to run, we might as well have two running threats in the backfield. Let’s enjoy this win. It was important for the team’s confidence and morale. It was battle. We prevailed. There are better times to complain.
I'm ok with other opinions... just not the Wildcat on 1st and 10, and so on... three plays in a row, telegraphed to the defense.... with the game in the balance.

I'm ok with other opinions... just not the Wildcat on 1st and 10, and so on... three plays in a row, telegraphed to the defense.... with the game in the balance.
We had the lead, we weren't going to throw....have zero problem with going with Kramer in that situation. Oh yeah....it was also pouring....enjoy the win....worry about the OC later....plenty of time to complain about Sanford during the bye week.

Kickers were awesome today. Punter had an amazing game, Trickett drilled 2 field goals in ugly conditions and 99 put most of the kickoffs through the endzone. Doesn't get much better than that for those guys. And they did it in bad conditions too boot.
There are no easy road games in the Big 10. Game balls to the punter/holder, kicker and long snapper. And WHY are we not throwing more to Spann-Ford?

We had the lead, we weren't going to throw....have zero problem with going with Kramer in that situation. Oh yeah....it was also pouring....enjoy the win....worry about the OC later....plenty of time to complain about Sanford during the bye week.
I'd rather have seen them throw it at least once. Especially on 3rd down. Purdue had all the time in the world to go down and score even after we run it. They walked down the field with ease until the Nubin pick. Purdue had all day to score before the pick.

Have Kramer look for the pass, and if someone isn't wide open, then he pulls it down and simply runs it. We still get the field goal and the clock keeps running.

I love Tanner, he seems like an absolutely amazing young man, but I can’t help but envision the day when we have a true dual threat quarterback who provides a run threat as well as a passing threat (Athan someday?). The offense is designed for that, but it is just isn’t Tanner’s skill set.
I’m with ya here

Good to see the boys bounce back though and Tanner did make some nice throws today

I'd rather have seen them throw it at least once. Especially on 3rd down. Purdue had all the time in the world to go down and score even after we run it. They walked down the field with ease until the Nubin pick. Purdue had all day to score before the pick.

Have Kramer look for the pass, and if someone isn't wide open, then he pulls it down and simply runs it. We still get the field goal and the clock keeps running.
In perfect conditions I could see being more aggressive there. In those conditions with the way our defense was playing being conservative was the right move.

Yes Purdue moved the ball and then the defense did what they had been doing all game which was come up with the plays needed to keep Purdue out of the endzone.

Look, I would have been fine with going for it on 4th down, before kicking that last field goal. But I don't have an issue with playing it very safe in that situation.

Yeah, I am curious about other opinions, thanks!
I liked the field goal call. I was confused when the announcer said we should go for it. I would have been upset at the coaching staff if they went for it on 4th and 4 there, especially since I don't have faith in the offensive play calling in that situation.

Mike Brown-Stephens. Leading receiver. 2 catches.

Oh. But 105 yards and a 52.5 yard average. Sounds like my average (when I was playing defense).
It seems each week there is someone new and young showing signs of life. Hopefully making a complete offense for years to come. Just need to get the play calling to match the personel.

I wouldn't have condoned a throw either... Again, it is Kramer and the Wildcat three times in a row starting from 1st and 10, allowing the defense to completely key on the RUTM. Morgan and the regular offense had been moving the ball.

I like the discussion.

PS, I am ecstatic about the win!......

Give the O credit for eating up the clock at the end. PUs QB was in a zone and due for a miscue after 55 throws. Enter Nubin.

Gutsy win Fantastic game from ST’s

I liked the field goal call. I was confused when the announcer said we should go for it. I would have been upset at the coaching staff if they went for it on 4th and 4 there, especially since I don't have faith in the offensive play calling in that situation.

I agree with the FG call as well, it was the prior three calls, particularly the 1st and 10 call.

We won a road game in conditions that were far from ideal. I personally don't care about stats as much in heavy rain games. Obviously would like to have seen some more prolonged drives and success on O, but a win is a win. Defense gave up plays, but it felt like a bend-don't-break sort of gameplan for the D. Looking forward to a stress free Saturday next week :)

I wouldn't have condoned a throw either... Again, it is Kramer and the Wildcat three times in a row starting from 1st and 10, allowing the defense to completely key on the RUTM. Morgan and the regular offense had been moving the ball.

I like the discussion.

Little tough to tell in the broadcast but it looked like the rain got significantly worse late in the game. When they got down to that last series everyone knew the run was coming. Given that, putting Kramer in makes a ton of sense because he is more mobile and probably does a better job hanging onto the ball.

I loved when he would come on his wildcat runs he kept that ball tucked in there high and tight until it was time to hand it to the ref. :)

Little tough to tell in the broadcast but it looked like the rain got significantly worse late in the game. When they got down to that last series everyone knew the run was coming. Given that, putting Kramer in makes a ton of sense because he is more mobile and probably does a better job hanging onto the ball.

I loved when he would come on his wildcat runs he kept that ball tucked in their high and tight until it was time to hand it to the ref. :)
I also commented to my buddy that I was impressed with Kramers ball security.

I like the discussion.

We lose the game and pj would be on fire for the Kramer calls.

I loved when he would come on his wildcat runs he kept that ball tucked in there high and tight until it was time to hand it to the ref. :)
My only issue is that Kramer HAS to stay in bounds - he can't be trying for extra yards and get pushed out to stop the clock.

Top Bottom