***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTH CAROLINA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Last edited:

What is a Tar Heel anyway and why is their mascot a ram? The whole thing sounds a little ridiculous to me.
Multiple legendary origins of Tar Heel. One already explained. Another is that during a civil war battle all other regimens retreated except for one from NC. The description given to the commanding officer was they held fast as if tar were stuck to their feet. The officer replied, "God bless the Tar Heel boys!"

For the ram mascot there is actual historical record. In 1924 the school wanted a live mascot like Georgia's bulldog. One of Carolina's full backs was nicknamed "the battering ram." So they decided to get a live ram. First game appearance for the ram was against VMI in November 1924. Late in fourth quarter the score was tied at nil. Before attempting a field goal Carolina kicker rubbed the ram's head. He kicked the fg, we won, and ram been mascot ever since. #GDTBATH

Multiple legendary origins of Tar Heel. One already explained. Another is that during a civil war battle all other regimens retreated except for one from NC. The description given to the commanding officer was they held fast as if tar were stuck to their feet. The officer replied, "God bless the Tar Heel boys!"

For the ram mascot there is actual historical record. In 1924 the school wanted a live mascot like Georgia's bulldog. One of Carolina's full backs was nicknamed "the battering ram." So they decided to get a live ram. First game appearance for the ram was against VMI in November 1924. Late in fourth quarter the score was tied at nil. Before attempting a field goal Carolina kicker rubbed the ram's head. He kicked the fg, we won, and ram been mascot ever since. #GDTBATH

All I got from this is “we want to be like Georgia and are not like Georgia”

All I got from this is “we want to be like Georgia and are not like Georgia”

Really man? I came in peace. We have no historical rivalry with you and ergo no shared disdain. No need to be a douche. And just FYI it was Georgia trying to he our doppelganger by using the same architect to build Sanford Stadium modeled after Kenan.

Ended up at a club with a bunch of Duke students until 2am. The 🍄 worked! Never too old for a good time. Let's f-ing clean some clocks out there today! Go Gophers!
There were a few duke fans at one of the bars we were at. Needless to say they are solidly rowing the boat on this beautiful day

On a message forum I was lurking on recently a South Carolina fan called people from North Carolina Yankees. I don't know if that's too common but I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

A a message forum I was lurking on recently a South Carolinia fan called people from North Carolina Yankees. I don't know if that's too common but I thought it was funny.
Yes.. we were talking to a group of folks and one said the same thing..

Really man? I came in peace. We have no historical rivalry with you and ergo no shared disdain. No need to be a douche. And just FYI it was Georgia trying to he our doppelganger by using the same architect to build Sanford Stadium modeled after Kenan.

Lol. I was just joking. I appreciate the history—especially about the ram. Also laughed at the 0-0 score because that’s big ten football 100 years later.

Lol. I was just joking. I appreciate the history—especially about the ram. Also laughed at the 0-0 score because that’s big ten football 100 years later.
All good man! You don't need me to tell you inflection gets lost in text. I am sure y'all deal with your fair share of difficult fans from other schools too. So i was just keeping in check. We get deluded with them being 8 miles from dook and 28 miles from the cesspool of ignorance that is NC State. In the ACC there are Carolina fans and ABC fans--anybody but Carolina. Sorry if I came off too sensitive and defensive!

All good man! You don't need me to tell you inflection gets lost in text. I am sure y'all deal with your fair share of difficult fans from other schools too. So i was just keeping in check. We get deluded with them being 8 miles from dook and 28 miles from the cesspool of ignorance that is NC State. In the ACC there are Carolina fans and ABC fans--anybody but Carolina. Sorry if I came off too sensitive and defensive!

All good my man. We are a pretty friendly fan base. Decades of irrelevance in men’s sports make everyone like you. We’re the Cubs or Browns of college athletics.

Most of us are just getting familiar with this Carolina stuff. BTW, I was just in Charlotte, great city, and Myrtle Beach where all the Yankees go, I guess. Think I heard more eastern accents (esp. Maryland and Pennsylvania) in Myrtle Beach than southern accents.

LOL @ GHj Tweet.

Yes.

Could have also said "Football."

Have a feeling CrAB might be back this game. His Instagram story is a pic of himself captioned "Lets go!"... Could be his season debut today RTB

Top Bottom