***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MICHIGAN STATE IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

They're that desperate for a TO? You've got TO at next dead ball. I understand the play. Guys were probably gassed.

I don't hate it. I don't think its genius.
Genius in the sense you don’t see it very often. Ben was innovative and the result was effective.
A timeout next deadball you could be down 9. Our fortunes are delicate. Each possession is critical. We do not have much spurtability to recover from momentum swings…so reminding, helping, resting, reassuring your guys before something backbreaking occurs is a large part of why we were in it.

Assuming Curry misses a few games (hope it's not more than that), what does that do to the lineup/rotation.

If Daniels starts, then I would guess the bench rotation goes Sutherlin, Ramberg, Thompson, and maybe Thiam. Ogele looks like a decent athlete, but we've seen so little of him it's hard to gauge what he's capable of doing.

Havent read any of the comments so may be overlapping but a few thoughts on the game/season.

Positive: I really like Daniels, not in the 25 min double-double type guy, but as a good role player who doesnt look like a disaster in 8-12 min a game. I would have loved to have him behind Oturu for those few years!

Negative: Last night was a bit better, and I understand the concept, but I would like us to at least send a guy or 2 once in a while to the offensive glass. I think its a big relief on defenses that as soon as a shot goes up they essentially know the possession is over. Again totally get the idea and its worked just would prefer not to be DFL in any one category ha.

Positive: We run GREAT out of timeout sets. This seems so small but whenever we come out of a break Johnson has something good dialed up. Such a refreshing change from the past few years.

Negative (kind of both?): We simply don't quite have the talent to win all these games. I think we played harder, smarter, and were better coached last night. Unfortunately MSU just has more physical talent. I dont know how many times I shook my head last night when we would push a guy out of position and get them to shoot the shot we wanted and the stupid thing went in. It is very frustrating to play a MSU/Ill where the team executes a good game plan and the other team is just more talented. The positive here is that hopefully we will build that talent base and combine that with good coaching/development turns us into a top tier B1G team.

Positive: I love Battle, I think at one point he was 3-10, and I still just assumed he wouldn't miss the rest of the game. Shame on Pitino for not getting him.

Finally, not sure if anyone caught it with the game going on, but PAYNE!! 36-10-6 blk! I don't remember who they played but who cares, thats a massive line, I am ready to see him in maroon and gold!

Havent read any of the comments so may be overlapping but a few thoughts on the game/season.

Positive: I really like Daniels, not in the 25 min double-double type guy, but as a good role player who doesnt look like a disaster in 8-12 min a game. I would have loved to have him behind Oturu for those few years!

Negative: Last night was a bit better, and I understand the concept, but I would like us to at least send a guy or 2 once in a while to the offensive glass. I think its a big relief on defenses that as soon as a shot goes up they essentially know the possession is over. Again totally get the idea and its worked just would prefer not to be DFL in any one category ha.

Positive: We run GREAT out of timeout sets. This seems so small but whenever we come out of a break Johnson has something good dialed up. Such a refreshing change from the past few years.

Negative (kind of both?): We simply don't quite have the talent to win all these games. I think we played harder, smarter, and were better coached last night. Unfortunately MSU just has more physical talent. I dont know how many times I shook my head last night when we would push a guy out of position and get them to shoot the shot we wanted and the stupid thing went in. It is very frustrating to play a MSU/Ill where the team executes a good game plan and the other team is just more talented. The positive here is that hopefully we will build that talent base and combine that with good coaching/development turns us into a top tier B1G team.

Positive: I love Battle, I think at one point he was 3-10, and I still just assumed he wouldn't miss the rest of the game. Shame on Pitino for not getting him.

Finally, not sure if anyone caught it with the game going on, but PAYNE!! 36-10-6 blk! I don't remember who they played but who cares, thats a massive line, I am ready to see him in maroon and gold!
Good points. I get where you are coming from on the offensive rebounding piece but against a team like MSU getting back on D is key because they have such good athletes and run the fast break really well.

I would expect that strategy to adjust based on the opponent and how good they are at getting out and running. But overall I would not expect it to change much this year because it has served the team well and allowed them to get in position on defense and avoid the ticky tack fouls that you often get in transition.

The one thing that I hope Coach Johnson got out of this game “squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Izzo won the game from the sidelines.

@leib0039 they had 12 offensive boards last night, whereas Michigan State had 5
Total rebounds were 31 for Michigan State and 30 for the Gophers.
No offense, but wrong game to harp on that one.
Right, and I’m not gonna go back and watch the tape, but I suspect MSU wings were leaking knowing that we don’t crash the offensive board out of principle. There were a few long rebounds that we could have snagged last night, but as soon as we try to hit the boards, I assume the other team will adjust if we do… but in that scenario our defense doesn’t always get set. If BJ had more rim protectors or post defenders who can keep the ball alive, I suspect we would see some more crashing of the boards.

Right, and I’m not gonna go back and watch the tape, but I suspect MSU wings were leaking knowing that we don’t crash the offensive board out of principle. There were a few long rebounds that we could have snagged last night, but as soon as we try to hit the boards, I assume the other team will adjust if we do… but in that scenario our defense doesn’t always get set. If BJ had more rim protectors or post defenders who can keep the ball alive, I suspect we would see some more crashing of the boards.
He said as much in an interview.

Bummer they didn't win (and that I didn't get a chance to watch any of it :confused:), but am impressed they pushed the Spartans to the brink. Good sign considering the first meeting between the two teams.

The one thing that I hope Coach Johnson got out of this game “squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Izzo won the game from the sidelines.
No he didn’t, we needed to make just 3 more FT’s and we win the game. I don’t give the big whiner any credit for that. The game was pretty well refereed.

No he didn’t, we needed to make just 3 more FT’s and we win the game. I don’t give the big whiner any credit for that. The game was pretty well refereed.
I thought the game was officiated just fine as well.

RJ blasted the officiating on his GI summary and I was not in agreement with that. Too easy to complain about officials all the time.

I thought the game was officiated just fine as well.

RJ blasted the officiating on his GI summary and I was not in agreement with that. Too easy to complain about officials all the time.
It wasn't horribly officiated but thought there were a few things that went against the Gophers. Travel on that last play wasn't called and weak flagrant on Loewe (or if you're going to call that, then should have been a flagrant on MSU late in the 1st half when their defender grabbed a jersey trying to foul). And still kinda shocked that the clock wasn't reviewed after MSU took the lead with about 0.6 on the clock. Highly unlikely it makes a difference but seemed really bizarre.

But there were many other things the Gophers could have done to come out with a win.

We had something like 14 offensive boards vs Sparty, they were definitely more aggressive in that department

It wasn't horribly officiated but thought there were a few things that went against the Gophers. Travel on that last play wasn't called and weak flagrant on Loewe (or if you're going to call that, then should have been a flagrant on MSU late in the 1st half when their defender grabbed a jersey trying to foul). And still kinda shocked that the clock wasn't reviewed after MSU took the lead with about 0.6 on the clock. Highly unlikely it makes a difference but seemed really bizarre.

But there were many other things the Gophers could have done to come out with a win.
The clock I also didn't understand, but I was also thinking that it may be pretty common in college basketball not to stop there. Play on.

The clock I also didn't understand, but I was also thinking that it may be pretty common in college basketball not to stop there. Play on.
Maybe that's changed but feel like it used to be done all the time. Almost to the point of overkill. Like they'd review the clock with 10+ seconds left sometimes. Certainly seems like a good idea at the end of the game where it's the difference between a team being able to get a shot off or not.

I feel like there was more than one occasion where I could read Izzo's lips telling the refs to look at or do something and they obliged him :/

CBJ doesn't really have the time to take from his players to address the refs though imo- he's so good at being engaged with them

Maybe that's changed but feel like it used to be done all the time. Almost to the point of overkill. Like they'd review the clock with 10+ seconds left sometimes. Certainly seems like a good idea at the end of the game where it's the difference between a team being able to get a shot off or not.
I'll just add that this is also partly Johnson and the coaching staff's fault. I'm guessing they take a look if they ask them too. It didn't appear like anyone did.

This Game Still haunts me.
I thought this at the time an still believe it is the right thing to do EVERY TIME !

Why did we not foul at the end ?
If I'm the coach,
I foul and send them to the line every single time in this scenario. Tie game ,bonus situation ,one of my best players hurt
Scenario 1 ,they miss an we are going on offense to win,worst, we are down 1 or 2 an still going for tie or win.
The way it went our best case scenario was to be going for overtime with one of my best players out.
I'll take option 1every time.
Any body else agree ?

This Game Still haunts me.
I thought this at the time an still believe it is the right thing to do EVERY TIME !

Why did we not foul at the end ?
If I'm the coach,
I foul and send them to the line every single time in this scenario. Tie game ,bonus situation ,one of my best players hurt
Scenario 1 ,they miss an we are going on offense to win,worst, we are down 1 or 2 an still going for tie or win.
The way it went our best case scenario was to be going for overtime with one of my best players out.
I'll take option 1every time.
Any body else agree ?
Giving the other team the lead with less than 30 seconds left? Is this a real take?

Giving the other team the lead with less than 30 seconds left? Is this a real take?
Maybe ,maybe not they miss 1 or both I'm willing to take the odds it's better than the way this game ended.I would rather loose trying to win it,than just loosing it.

In a situation where you're a substantial underdog, yes.

If you don't foul, there's a 50% chance they score and win the game. If it goes to OT you have maybe a 35% chance to win. Overall odds of winning: 17.5%

If you foul, there's a 30% chance they miss at least one and a 50% chance you go score to win. That's 15%. If they make both, you can take a 3 with say a 20% chance of making it. Another 10%. Alternately you take a 2 with a 50% chance and take your chances in OT. Overall odds of winning 25-27.5%.

Top Bottom