***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

At the last Maryland game I arrived early and watched the teams warmup. Maryland shot real well in warm-ups. They looked confident. They also looked more physically cut than the Gophers. Maybe these Gopber freshmen mechanically need two years of lifting and training to be like those Maryland seniors. Maryland shot like cyborgs.
I was there as well . They looked way more athletic than the Gophers.

Copper earned his way up a conference from a lessor one. Probably the best PG Gophers could get.
I was excited when we signed Cooper and thought he’d be solid.

Just hasn’t really worked out. Needs more guys around him. And really he’s not working with much but thought he’d be able to do more on his own.

I'm sure Battle will play a large role next year, but my lord he's got to learn how to play within an offense.

The stats are so empty. I'm down on him the more and more I watch.
The crazy thing about him is that he is so high volume usage yet he has only shot 27 free throws and he's our best free throw shooter. He scores about a point per shot, whereas Garcia is close to 1.3- just for comparison. His shooting percentages are terrible 30% from 3pt and 38% on 2s

The crazy thing about him is that he is so high volume usage yet he has only shot 27 free throws and he's our best free throw shooter. He scores about a point per shot, whereas Garcia is close to 1.3- just for comparison. His shooting percentages are terrible 30% from 3pt and 38% on 2s

Biggest misconception on Battle is that he is a great shooter. He’s below team average on 2s and 3s this season. The gophers rank 263rd and 340th nationally in those categories. Maybe he is still nursing an injury but he just isn’t shooting well.

This team's identity is Empty Possessions.

Well, once Maryland put their scrubs in (freshman?) we beat the tar out of them.
I think at least one of them was the student manager. But we dominated him!

Biggest misconception on Battle is that he is a great shooter. He’s below team average on 2s and 3s this season. The gophers rank 263rd and 340th nationally in those categories. Maybe he is still nursing an injury but he just isn’t shooting well.
Shot selection. He's not playing a team game. Half of his shots are forced.

Shot selection. He's not playing a team game. Half of his shots are forced.
Battle is at least a good shooter. Last year 37% on 3s, 45% overall, many were tough, contested shots. This year, since coming back from injury, he hasn't gotten his stroke back until recently. The team just doesn't have anyone that forces defenses to leave Battle, and he often ends up having to take tough shots near the end of the shot clock.

I'll be honest. I tapped out at halftime.

it's just too depressing to watch a Gopher team lose every d*mn game. I just want the season to be over with. And I am - or have been - one of Johnson's supporters on this board.

so instead of watching the second half, I was watching "The Bad Batch" on Disney+. given a choice, I'll take Star Wars animation over bad basketball.

it's just too depressing to watch a Gopher team lose every d*mn game. I just want the season to be over with. And I am - or have been - one of Johnson's supporters on this board.

so instead of watching the second half, I was watching "The Bad Batch" on Disney+. given a choice, I'll take Star Wars animation over bad basketball.
I think 2nd half viewers saw the Bad Batch, too....

Battle is at least a good shooter. Last year 37% on 3s, 45% overall, many were tough, contested shots. This year, since coming back from injury, he hasn't gotten his stroke back until recently. The team just doesn't have anyone that forces defenses to leave Battle, and he often ends up having to take tough shots near the end of the shot clock.
Payne/Garcia can draw doubles all day long if needed. There was one sequence during the game where we fed the ball down low, Maryland doubled, and then Battle was found for a wide open shot. I believe he missed but it was one of the better looks he's gotten all year. Considering the make up of our team, we should have been working inside out like that all year. For some reason they are only recently putting more focus into this strategy.

oof I'll still take an awful Gopher team of Disney Star Wars any day, to each their own!

Payne/Garcia can draw doubles all day long if needed. There was one sequence during the game where we fed the ball down low, Maryland doubled, and then Battle was found for a wide open shot. I believe he missed but it was one of the better looks he's gotten all year. Considering the make up of our team, we should have been working inside out like that all year. For some reason they are only recently putting more focus into this strategy.
Had to get the inbounds plays down first... Baby steps...

Finally someone who sees why Battle hasn’t produced like he did last year. Willis and the others moved the ball and they all got high quality shots. Last year although they were not most talented group I always felt like the team had a chance going into the games.

Finally someone who sees why Battle hasn’t produced like he did last year. Willis and the others moved the ball and they all got high quality shots. Last year although they were not most talented group I always felt like the team had a chance going into the games.
guards, guards, guards. In college basketball- you have to have good ones. Battle is not a lead player, he is a real nice complementary player if properly set up.

SW animation? That is kooky talk.

I would rather watch the Marvel Superheroes cartoons from the 1960s over bad basketball.

guards, guards, guards. In college basketball- you have to have good ones. Battle is not a lead player, he is a real nice complementary player if properly set up.
Agreed!!!

Top Bottom