***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT MARYLAND IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Cbj wanted TT.

Or, maybe because he more or less pledged to have more MN natives on the team (like the majority of people around here wanted), he didn't want to cut him loose.

Who's future? The rest of the Big 10 as they continue to kick out teeth in?
Well, once Maryland put their scrubs in (freshman?) we beat the tar out of them.

I assume that's a bad show?

It's was a movie and subsequent TV program that would show Grade Z horror and science fiction movies from the 50s and 60s with two audience members (one who is an alien) making quips throughout.

It wouldn't even seem possible to be that bad. Absolutely zero defense by the Gophers. Garbage.

At the last Maryland game I arrived early and watched the teams warmup. Maryland shot real well in warm-ups. They looked confident. They also looked more physically cut than the Gophers. Maybe these Gopber freshmen mechanically need two years of lifting and training to be like those Maryland seniors. Maryland shot like cyborgs.

It's was a movie and subsequent TV program that would show Grade Z horror and science fiction movies from the 50s and 60s with two audience members (one who is an alien) making quips throughout.
Wasn't there a robot too?

Or, maybe because he more or less pledged to have more MN natives on the team (like the majority of people around here wanted), he didn't want to cut him loose.
Get and keep the right Mn kids.

I agree the roster lacks talent, and recruiting a talented roster is the coaching staff’s responsibility. However, this team is better with Cooper than it would be without him.
Stop! Docker is coming!

I had an appointment that prevented me from watching the game tonight. So I did the "next best thing" -- checked the box score. Looks like Henley had a night?!?! 14 points and only one turnover? Plus three steals? Is there "more" to the story - or did he have something of a breakout night?

No, that excuse is not legit.

I am not making an excuse. I have said again and again PG is the one spot to fill if they have a spot open this off season.

I am just giving information on Cooper.

Another point I keep repeating over and over is that Gophers need Carrington, Henley, or Christie to pan out at SG/wing. Otherwise the rebuild will not succeed. That is for a couple reasons.

1. Team is set at paint players/forward ahead.

2. The team has no point guard other options. There are no freshman bets on the table at PG. The team is screwed if not one of the 3 SG/wing players doesn't pan out because they have another hole to fill and cannot use yet another scholarship on a SG/wing.

Go Henley!

Many of the quips were even better than what we get here on GH!

I had an appointment that prevented me from watching the game tonight. So I did the "next best thing" -- checked the box score. Looks like Henley had a night?!?! 14 points and only one turnover? Plus three steals? Is there "more" to the story - or did he have something of a breakout night?
He looked good. He came out aggressive (but not out of control) and made some nice layups. Hit a few open threes, and the commentators complimented his fight on defense (specifically fighting over screens). He's looking a lot more comfortable out there.

Get and keep the right Mn kids.

He looked good. He came out aggressive (but not out of control) and made some nice layups. Hit a few open threes, and the commentators complimented his fight on defense (specifically fighting over screens). He's looking a lot more comfortable out there.
Many thanks.

Yes, Henley probably had his best game.

The game was very close for half of the first half and then we had one of those stretches where we were absolutely smoked and we never really recovered because they started the second half hot as well.

It was one of our best offensive conference games but one of our worst defensive conference games.

Ish. Another game where a team whose defensive coach is Dave thorson got scorched…..we are clearly undermanned a crossed the board but man I figured we would have been able to hang out hat

There is individual improvements in any given game. You can see potential in almost every player.. But, there is no consistency. There is no guarantee there will be.
Team wise ... do we see a positive direction? A path to wins if we....?
We gotta play slow to lose by less than 30 but we can't win going forward playing slow...playing slow games are close....you gotta make free throws to win.
What if everybody likes going to school here? How much better to Christie, Evans, Ihnen and Fox make us? Better but how much?
There is no reason we couldn't be good on defense this year. No, we are not quick as a team but you can overcome that with a match up zone. Our guy recruited all these not quick defenders...he needs a plan to help them succeed.

He needs to get better MN natives.

At the last Maryland game I arrived early and watched the teams warmup. Maryland shot real well in warm-ups. They looked confident. They also looked more physically cut than the Gophers. Maybe these Gopber freshmen mechanically need two years of lifting and training to be like those Maryland seniors. Maryland shot like cyborgs.

I understand teams have incredible shooting performances now and then. We’ve all seen it. But it seems like every game the other team shoots out of the mind. Maybe the Gophers defense is the issue? Hard to say based on only a full season.

There is individual improvements in any given game. You can see potential in almost every player.. But, there is no consistency. There is no guarantee there will be.
Team wise ... do we see a positive direction? A path to wins if we....?
We gotta play slow to lose by less than 30 but we can't win going forward playing slow...playing slow games are close....you gotta make free throws to win.
What if everybody likes going to school here? How much better to Christie, Evans, Ihnen and Fox make us? Better but how much?
There is no reason we couldn't be good on defense this year. No, we are not quick as a team but you can overcome that with a match up zone. Our guy recruited all these not quick defenders...he needs a plan to help them succeed.
A couple of things might help:

Numbers- if most all return it will certainly make for better practices. How do they simulate in practice what Maryland or other teams do to us? Next year they should have the bodies. Also, if the make defense a non negotiable, guys that aren't playing it and learning it- can sit

Development- If Payne develops a tiny bit of range. If Henley's shot comes along. If Ola Joseph learns defense and rebounding in addition to his offense. Carrington becomes a sniper. Betts?

A point guard- need one.

I was encouraged overall by the frosh tonight.

Top Bottom