***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT BUTLER NIT FIRST ROUND IN-GAME POST-SEASON BASKETBALL(!!!) THREAD!!!***

Definitely would love to get bigger and stronger on the perimeter next year. Seems like it’s been since the final four team since we had physical guards.

Right away I recognized it was Myron M. for some odd reason, since I usually do not pay much attention to what he does. After I while i backed up the broadcast to see who his play by play partner was.

Tom Crean did a great job on TV tonight once Myron shut up. Once Myron M calmed down he was OK. Both did a good job.

If indeed if the Gophers get to the NIT F4 and it is at Hinckle Fieldhouse, I will fly into Midway, rent a car and go to the game.
Not that it means anything but a bit of trivia that most people don't know, Crean is Jim and John Harbaugh's brother-in-law.

I'm sure it was mentioned before in the thread, but I was surprised to see JOJ get some run yesterday.

I thought the team played hard, and it was a really fun game to watch. I really think our double team on defense needs work. It almost seems like they hesitate and aren't sure if they should double, which is the worst thing you can do, caught in no man's land guarding nobody.

I may be in the minority on this, but I loved seeing Garcia get a little fired up and do a little jawing with one of their players. I really hope this team can keep the core together for next season.

Super hustle Hawkins led us with 6 rebounds!

That's great and is what happens when you are very active. The most important rebound in the game was Hawkins' last one! He's pretty effective at dashing inside and grabbing a loose rebound before anyone else can secure it.

Looking forward to getting to play Indiana Sttae. Would be fun to beat them on their home floor.

That's great and is what happens when you are very active. The most important rebound in the game was Hawkins' last one! He's pretty effective at dashing inside and grabbing a loose rebound before anyone else can secure it.
Speed, great vision, and great instincts. Amazing the things he can do playing at the speed he plays at. Assume being one of the smallest guys out there his whole life he probably had to learn how to play that way to survive.

Do the computers say this is a good win? Or do we have to wait & see how Butler's previous opponents do first.

Look at it this way. Every team in this tournament is a Top 100 NET team now. That wasn't the case in the former system where there were a fair number of automatic qualifiers from conferences where few, if any, teams were Top 100 teams. Those automatic qualifiers of the past could comprise anywhere from about 30% to close to half of the teams in the tournament.

So, yes, any victory in this tournament is now a reasonably good win. Any of ours are especially good because we're likely playing all of our games either on the road or at a neutral site.

Last edited:

Great game last night. I have to give Johnson his due. The guy coaching against him is no slouch.
.716 winning percentage

Hawkins is a good rebounder for his size.
He lists himself at 5'11', same as Dug McDaniel and both grab 3.7 per game, most of any BIG player under 6 ft.
Hawkins gets the edge in the Per 40 minutes
Smith from Purdue is listed at 6 ft even grabs a whopping 5.8 a game
Lot of rebounds for a player listed at 6 ft

Pumped for the next game.

I have a question on Hawkins "airball" from the top of the key. Since they reviewed it and saw it was ever so slightly touched by the Butler defender, then is it possible that has been the case with other similar shots of his during the year? If so, why did we just insist on reviewing that type of shot now?

It feels like Elijah may have be shortchanged on his shooting during the season.

Great game last night. I have to give Johnson his due. The guy coaching against him is no slouch.
.716 winning percentage

He lists himself at 5'11', same as Dug McDaniel and both grab 3.7 per game, most of any BIG player under 6 ft.

Indeed. I love Hawkins' energy and headiness. Can't wait to see him next year manning the point for our team.

Last edited:

I have a question on Hawkins "airball" from the top of the key. Since they reviewed it and saw it was ever so slightly touched by the Butler defender, then is it possible that has been the case with other similar shots of his during the year? If so, why did we just insist on reviewing that type of shot now?

It feels like Elijah may have be shortchanged on his shooting during the season.
I had a different question about that same play. I saw it was slightly blocked, so at that point it's off Butler, but it clearly bounced in bounds and then Payne goes after it to save it, seems like he touched it, then wouldn't it have been off Minnesota, last touched by Payne?

.716 winning percentage

Looked at the advanced stats box score on Sports Reference this morning. For their Box +/- calculation, Hawkins and Fox were by far the highest on the team. Hawkins had a score of 11.7 and Fox had a score of 10.7. The next highest was Garcia at 3.6.

Butler actually had three guys with high Box +/- scores (Alexander with 12.2, DJ Davis with 11.6, and Telfort with 9.4) but they had 4 guys with negative scores and one with a score of 0 (four of those five were off the bench). We only had two guys with negative scores (Carrington and Ola Joseph).

I had a different question about that same play. I saw it was slightly blocked, so at that point it's off Butler, but it clearly bounced in bounds and then Payne goes after it to save it, seems like he touched it, then wouldn't it have been off Minnesota, last touched by Payne?

I saw Payne go after it but I didn't see him actually touch it.

Top Bottom