***OFFICIAL MARYLAND AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

I haven’t read the thread...shoot me...Jess Settles said the Gophers needed to go inside the 2nd half and get the fourth foul on Smith.
Seemed obvious, seemed like basketball 101...was there ever any emphasis by the Gophers to post up anybody Smith
was guarding? Nope.

Settles, also said the game was over if he got an early 4th foul. I’d also agree with that. And yet we ignored the obvious?
This! I was yelling at the TV the whole second half that we needed to go inside and get that 4th foul on Smith! The fact that he was able to score 14 points and 12 rebounds, a f***ing double double in the second half with 3 fouls killed the Gophers! Missing free throws was just the icing on the cake.

This! I was yelling at the TV the whole second half that we needed to go inside and get that 4th foul on Smith! The fact that he was able to score 14 points and 12 rebounds, a f***ing double double in the second half with 3 fouls killed the Gophers! Missing free throws was just the icing on the cake.

So lets say they attack Smith with the lethal combo of Demir and Omersa. Wouldn't people have yelled that Demir and Omersa were shooting? Because Smith didn't guard Oturu.

Correct. This is right. Jarvis didn't play in the 2nd half which I don't get but whatever. The free throws are on the players. Plenty of blame on Pitino for this year and other years. IF he is retained, I am curious to see how Coyle spins it. Really depends on who else is out there.
From where I sat, it seemed as though Jarvis was limping around during timeouts. Anyone see that?

can't play Cowan that far up the court... nobody on the team is fast enough
You make him go to the ball on the inbound pass- then you turn and run-don't wait till he is heading toward their side of the court- then it's too late because we can't keep up.

So lets say they attack Smith with the lethal combo of Demir and Omersa. Wouldn't people have yelled that Demir and Omersa were shooting? Because Smith didn't guard Oturu.
Yes, you attack Smith. He is their best player. He is in foul trouble. Instead, the Gophers just put up a bunch of long 2's and 3's. Pitino has to figure out a way to attack Smith. It is his job.

Yes, you attack Smith. He is their best player. He is in foul trouble. Instead, the Gophers just put up a bunch of long 2's and 3's. Pitino has to figure out a way to attack Smith. It is his job.

He isn't going to foul Demir. He would stand there and block the shit out of the shot or get the rebound on the miss. He picked up 4 fouls. I believe 3 against Oturu and one on a loose ball. I could be wrong?

I said a number of times in the thread- he's is gone. As for that particular game- he had them in a position to win, they failed to make free throws. Period. He has lost too much and that one sealed the deal.
You have said he is gone.

You have not said he should be gone.

There's a huge difference there.

Well, sometimes you just have to appreciate baby steps.

Maryland sat in a zone to protect Smith and when they played man, Smith didn't guard Oturu. He was on Alihan or Isaiah. Neither of whom have any inside game to really attack him and Isaiah didn't make any of his 3's in the second half to pull Smith away from helping on Oturu.

I couldn't believe they didn't make him pick the ball up, twice! Anyone remember Smith fall and act like he broke his leg, and instead of go on a break with the team Oturu stayed with him to see if he was alright! Go score, then check on him!

can't play Cowan that far up the court... nobody on the team is fast enough
With even token pressure he picks the ball up in the back court and an extra 5-7 seconds are burned. And they did it at least twice. The game would have ended 15 seconds earlier and we likely would have won. This is the not the first time I've seen this, nor are we the only team to do this, but it was the most obvious I've seen in a while.

To the apologists: There are actions in high low, in screen and roll, etc where you can get Smith on Oturu. If their 2nd best defender can’t guard Oturu, then just get him the ball every time down low.
OR set Carr up as a heat seeking missile off a screen and have him attack Smith or score at the rim.
If he is just standing around avoiding fouls then back screen him and throw a lob dunk to Ihnen.
AND it is legal to screen a zone.
Make him a liability on the defensive end or foul him out.
Lots and lots of ways to capitalize on our advantage. We ignored them all.

I am telling you what I expect to happen and that I don't have a problem with it. Period. I am happy when the Gophers win- you ...not so much. I am a fan. You are a troll.

I am telling you what I expect to happen and that I don't have a problem with it. Period. I am happy when the Gophers win- you ...not so much. I am a fan. You are a troll.
That is false. He may cheer as hard as you do but expects greatness from the basketball program and his standard for what greatness is may be higher. I consider that a great fan. I despise mediocrity.

When all else fails, resort to name calling.

But I'm the troll.

For the record, I've been a fan since the late 60s. Pitino is a poor coach. This shouldn't be controversial, or get me attacked for saying so.

That is false. He may cheer as hard as you do but expects greatness from the basketball program and his standard for what greatness is may be higher. I consider that a great fan. I despise mediocrity.

Fraud.

Hard to blame pitino for Carr and Gabe not making free throws
Hard to blame pitino for Carr and Gabe not making free throws
You shoot with your legs. How many minutes did Carr and Gabe play in the second half? How many seconds remained on the clock because Maryland was allowed to roll the ball over mid court before they picked it up? This one is on the coach.

He can't say he should be gone, because he's one of the geniuses that says you are cheering against the gophers if you want the coach gone.

Last edited:

Top Bottom