***Official Keep Brewster Thread***

Keep Brewster

Until at least the end of the 2011 season barring a major collapse

Signed:

Cmich Gopher

He should have an opportunity to coach through the 2011 season. He will have a split of juniors and seniors for the first time.

Name the best red-shirt class in the last several decades. I'll suggest the current 2009 class. They'll be seniors in 2013. That's when Brewster's abilities and fortunes should be peaking. If things blow up before 2013, then he won't be around. But it'll be tough not to give him a chance to see what 5th year seniors can do because that's what the great teams in the Big 10 and the nation rely on heavily.

I'm in.

2 yr extension this year and a 1 yr ext each year after. Those that disagree don't understand how things need to work to keep recruiting as good as it can be. Buyouts are a part of D1 football...get over it...or go root for NDSU or SDSU.

Assess him after 2011. 5 yrs is what every coach who goes to a bowl game and is ~.500 deserves.

GM

I'm in.

2 yr extension this year and a 1 yr ext each year after. Those that disagree don't understand how things need to work to keep recruiting as good as it can be. Buyouts are a part of D1 football...get over it...or go root for NDSU or SDSU.

Assess him after 2011. 5 yrs is what every coach who goes to a bowl game and is ~.500 deserves.

GM

Please tell me how 14-24 record is .500.

Sorry you were being year specific

I'm all for keeping him now. Tell you what guys, if you think we can only give him one year, you probably will call for his head next year. Wins will be hard to come by next year. We likely will be underdeogs in all of our home games and our winnable games will be, at best, toss-ups on the road. I'm a little concerned that it appears that we only have a "middle of the big ten" recruiting class this year but regardless, the talent from the top to the bottom of the roster is getting better.

I really expect to be in a News Years day bowl after the 2011 season.

Keep him. Another coach will not help the 2010 season and 2011 is when we need to see the big improvement. Keep the faith

Good grief...can't believe I'm even responding to this.

7-6 - 2008
6-7 - 2009

...is .500.

Not sure how you could possibly include the 1-11 season. Brutal arguement on your part.....

What would you lable all of 2007 and the second halves of 2008 & 2009?

Praises for our past triumphs are as feathers to a dead bird. ~Paul Eldridge

We need not destroy the past. It is gone. ~John Cage

and to answer your question I would label them as such:

A bump on the road to success
Lessons learned
Water under the bridge
Fallen leaves
Leaves of Grass*
Rain on the mountain
Wind in the meadow

I can keep going if you like, it's really no problem.
and in conclusion:

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies" - Shawshank Redemption

"A single grain of rice can tip the scale" - Mulan

* = credit to Walt Whitman

Brewster deserves 1 more year to prove himself.

Next year, only 14 (7 on the OL) of the roughly 85 scholarship players will be Mason-recruited players. This year, 30 of 85 were Mason players and many of them were starters.

Also, 21 of the 35 scholarship juniors and seniors will be Brewster players next year and he's currently only graduated 6 of his JUCO players.

This will be the first time during his tenure where the team will be his team, not a quazi Brewster/Mason team. Only Collado and Jacobs seem like Mason players in the defensive rotation and it wouldn't shock me if only 1 or 2 Mason players were starters on offense next year.

2010 will be the first year where I can say to myself that this is entirely Brewster's team.

FYI, here are the 14 Mason recruited scholarship players still on the team next year and from what I see, there will be a very weak imprint from Mason in 2010:

1. Weber - QB - 3 year starter at QB but amazingly, nothing is promised to him in his senior year
2. Bennett - RB - should be in the rotation at RB but don't think he'll start.
3. Buckner - RB - Rarely plays
4. McGarry - TE - 3rd TE
5. Alford - OL - Regressed and probably won't start
6. Brinkhaus - OL - Definitely won't start
7. Davis - OL - Might start at center
8. Wynn - OL - Might start at RT
9. Orton - OL - 2nd team at best
10. Bunders - OL - 2nd team at best
11. Burris - OL - 2nd team at best
12. Ellestad - K - starting kicker
13 . Jacobs - DL - backup at DT or DE with an outside chance to start
14. Collado - DB - competing for starting spot in defensive backfield. At worst nickel back.

***Leaving out Hoese and Coleman because they were walk-ons as freshman.

One final stat as to why Brewster deserves one more year to prove himself: When the 2010 class enrolls next fall, Brewster will have brought in 83+ (add one for each additional recruit signed in Feb but not currently on the committment list) scholarship players, if you include all players like Brock, Dandridge, Combs, Spry etc that played and left. That will finally be the point in my mind where he has had an entire roster-full of scholarship players that could have made an impact. This year, that number was below 60.

He deserves one more year to prove himself.

Pewter,

Good post. That said, I think you are making an unfair decision by counting certain members of 2007 class as Mason's (Jacobs, Bennett and Collado, others) or Brewster's (Theret others). Jacobs et al may have been recruited by Mason but they had the opportunity to switch so by staying they become de-facto Brewster players.

I am ok with throwing out all of 2007 since it was such a screwed up recruiting year but I don't think you can differentiate between players who never played for any coach other than Brewster.

Thanks for posting the information above, interesting to evaluate. I agree with you in that "there will be a very weak imprint from Mason in 2010" the key word here is WEAK as in very few seniors making a contribution on the field. The true measure of Brewsters players will be evident during the 2011 season and even more so during the 2012 season. That being said I still believe next year is a critical year in determining Brewsters ability to coach the players he has and we need to see progress, which so far during his tenure I believe we have.

Top Bottom