***OFFICIAL JACKSONVILLE DOLPHINS AT MINNESOTA GOPHERS IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Haven't seen much from Thompson so far (granted he is a freshman so to be expected) but I've thought Daniels has looked pretty solid. Would like to see him get more minutes so agree
If Daniel's is the 7th best player we are in big trouble.

So the Jacksonville coach is Dre's YOUNGER cousin? Wow.

Easy cover for Jacksonville

5-0. If you'd have told me prior to the season that's where the team would be after 5 games (even with the teams played), I probably woule have taken that bet. Tonight the offense was not great to say the least. Lots of shots that have been made in other games didn't go in, maybe due to lack of energy/lack of crowd size/looking ahead to bigger games on the horizon. Still got the W. Defense was outstanding again.

5-0. If you'd have told me prior to the season that's where the team would be after 5 games (even with the teams played), I probably woule have taken that bet. Tonight the offense was not great to say the least. Lots of shots that have been made in other games didn't go in, maybe due to lack of energy/lack of crowd size/looking ahead to bigger games on the horizon. Still got the W. Defense was outstanding again.
You asked when the last time the Gophers held opponents under 50 points in 2 consecutive games earlier. It was the 1996-97 season when they held Wisconsin to 48 and then followed it up by allowing Michigan State 43, their final four year.

You asked when the last time the Gophers held opponents under 50 points in 2 consecutive games earlier. It was the 1996-97 season when they held Wisconsin to 48 and then followed it up by allowing Michigan State 43, their final four year.
That was a pretty decent year.

1997? Final 4? Fake news. Never happened.

1997? Final 4? Fake news. Never happened.
Pretty ugly game and a dead crowd tonight. I don't think I have ever seen a team get more rebounds than points as Jacksonville did (46Rs 44 pts.). We were awful on the boards. A win is a win. 5-0 is good.

Next opponent, Pittsburgh, lost to Vanderbilt tonight 68-52. Panthers have one game beforehand with Univ Maryland of Baltimore County. (Hold them under 50?) It's at Pittsburgh.

Two of the best mascot animals in college sports face off at the Barn. The student section will likely be a bit thinner than normal due to the holiday, so hope we bring our own energy.

As Les Bolstad used to say (and hopefully will again as its a good feature to this thread), Artis Gilmore is not walking through their locker room tonight.

Gophers should roll, improve to 5-0, get the youngin's some run and keep playing Ben Johnson basketball.

GET 'ER DONE JOHNSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Is Artis still with us? Or has he gone to the Rucker League in the sky?

Thanks for the info!!! Fun factoid!

There’s nobody in the seats. I know it’s a holiday but damn.
That's too bad. Winning will help I am sure. It wouldn't hurt if they lowered the price to whatever it took to fill the place.

Settles clearly impressed by the way Johnson has the guys playing.
Ben has them playing exceptionally smart basketball. I am sure part of it is that we have so much experience but I think most of it is coaching. We are really playing winning style of basketball. A couple of points.

(1) Very little excess dribbling. We get into our offense and it's about movement, cutting, setting screens (for people with or without the ball).

(2) We aren't obsessed with positions. Willis is probably our primary ball handler, but Loewe, Stephens, and even Sutherlin take the ball up the court at times.

(3) We aren't doubling the post! This is such an awesome revelation. There are countless times with Pitino where every time a player caught the ball on the post, we'd double and give up the open three. Unless the guy is consistently torching you on the block, let him keep shooting fadeways, hook shots, etc. from down there.

(4) We aren't crashing the offensive board. I know this is annoying for some people, but it really helps set the defense. Get a good look, if you miss, get back and set your defense.

(5) Defensively, we are getting set and we aren't giving up easy looks. Even Western Kentucky, their PG needed to play hero ball to get them back into the game. If a PG ever gets that hot and knocks down 8 straight contested midrange jump shots, yep, they'll score.

So far Ben's teams have been a breathe of fresh air. I'm enjoying watching this team way more than I thought I would.

Some more way too early stats

Even after the game last night in which the Gophers didn't do the greatest job securing defensive rebounds, they are tied for 15th in the nation at 31.4 DRPG
Only Big Ten school ahead of them is Indiana at 32.2

They are dead last in offensive rebounds per game in the nation, 358th-4.8 per game

Sitting at 193rd overall with 36.2 rebounds per game

Field goal % is .467 which puts them at 97th
Purdue, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan State all shooting at a higher percentage

3P% is .346 147th in the nation
eFG% is .530 and puts the Gophers at 112th

Opponents are shooting .385 which puts the Gophers at 64th best
Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois, Wisconsin, Rutgers of the Big ten all holding their opponents to a lower percentage than the Gophers.

Last edited:

Top Bottom