***OFFICIAL IOWA AT MINNESOTA CHRISTMAS DAY IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Kalscheur is missing wide open 3s. Maybe Mutaf should start getting consideration for some of his minutes at some point...

Gabe plays really good defense....but there's no excuse for shooting this poorly. Wide open shots shouldn't be that far off. Not to mention the air balls....

I get that Gabe needs to shoot better, but mashburn is shooting 21% and tre is shooting 30% (from 3). Not like we have a ton of other options. At some point, a change just for a change is a good thing though.

Tough finish but we have a lead...you know they'll adjust hopefully we change up offensive strategy some... this 3 ball game we won't win

1st half stats
Team Stats

Game Stats
Iowa
Minnesota
Points3338
FG11-3414-36
FG%32.438.9
3P5-136-19
3P%38.531.6
FT6-84-4
FT%75.0100.0
Rebounds2619
Offensive Rebounds95
Defensive Rebounds1714
Ties33
Lead Changes33
Time with Lead4:0713:44
Lead % of Game20.769.0
Last Lead10-9
Last Lead: Time13:20 (1st)
Largest Lead312
Largest Lead: Score5-235-23
Largest Lead: Time18:23 (1st)3:32 (1st)
Assists710
Turnovers50
Bench Points37
Blocks13
On Court Points2024
Fastbreak Points210
Steals02
Points off Turnovers09
Points in the Paint812
Second Chance Points53
Personal Fouls67
Technical Fouls00
Possessions3232

Still wish Gabe could find his way to the FT line more often just to see his shot go through the hoop a few times. Maybe that would help him gain some confidence in his stroke again.

Well all of that is nice to know, but make 70%+ FT's and have fewer turnovers, I like our chances.
They are definitely meeting these requirements so far. 100% from the line and 0 turnovers.

Takeaways from the first half:

Freeman can give us minutes and not kill us. He might not be great, but he looks solid with potential to be a contributor throughout the year and the next years

As much as I've been believing in gabe this year, his shot is really broken.

The guys look like they want it. Regardless of the outcome, can't complain about the effort or physicality at this point.

Carr is a killer. He's found a good balance this game between scoring and distributing.

Ihnen is starting to do the little things. Get the shots falling and he'll be a star.

I get that Gabe needs to shoot better, but mashburn is shooting 21% and tre is shooting 30% (from 3). Not like we have a ton of other options. At some point, a change just for a change is a good thing though.
Although Mashburn as a freshman seems to be improving, Gabe as a junior seems to be regressing.

The difference is that neither Mashburn nor Tre are getting nearly as many minutes. Both were 3-10 coming into the game today. Gabe was 7-32. Mashburn and Tre's 3 point percentages could have as much to do with lack of volume. At this point....Gabe has shot enough to warrant a conclusion. A lot of his shots aren't anywhere near the mark.

1st half stats
Team Stats

Game Stats
Iowa
Minnesota
Points3338
FG11-3414-36
FG%32.438.9
3P5-136-19
3P%38.531.6
FT6-84-4
FT%75.0100.0
Rebounds2619
Offensive Rebounds95
Defensive Rebounds1714
Ties33
Lead Changes33
Time with Lead4:0713:44
Lead % of Game20.769.0
Last Lead10-9
Last Lead: Time13:20 (1st)
Largest Lead312
Largest Lead: Score5-235-23
Largest Lead: Time18:23 (1st)3:32 (1st)
Assists710
Turnovers50
Bench Points37
Blocks13
On Court Points2024
Fastbreak Points210
Steals02
Points off Turnovers09
Points in the Paint812
Second Chance Points53
Personal Fouls67
Technical Fouls00
Possessions3232
O turnovers in the first half. Wow - I wonder when the last time that has happened??

This is the type of game we NEED to win, if we want to be anything than the same old, same old.

The difference is that neither Mashburn nor Tre are getting nearly as many minutes. Both were 3-10 coming into the game today. Gabe was 7-32. Mashburn and Tre's 3 point percentages could have as much to do with lack of volume. At this point....Gabe has shot enough to warrant a conclusion. A lot of his shots aren't anywhere near the mark.
Definitely get that. Just wish we had seen something to give a little more confidence in the other options.

Watching the past few games, Kalscheur's wrist tends to flair out. When his wrist and fingers point right at the basket, he hits the shot.
I was impressed with the minutes Freeman gave us in the 1st half. Productive.

Best half to watch of the year so far. Last year this team blows this game. Will they be able to stay focused long enough to pull out a win?

Iowa with a 10-3 run for last 3:30 of the half.......can't let up
Go Gophers

Best defensive performance I've ever seen from a Pitino team. I guess I should say the best defensive half I have ever seen from a Pitino team. Keep it up guys!

Playing good defense. Did a great job (especially early) of getting on 3-point shooters (Gabe and Gach). Great job doubling the post (with our guards and #4). Mashburn looked a lot better defensively and good minutes from Freeman. Can we keep it up? No turnovers!!!! Will be interesting how Gophers come out to attack the zone and get more than just 3-point shots in the second half.

Will also be interesting to see what adjustments Iowa makes to get Garza more single coverage looks. Frederick and Wieskamp made some tough 3's at the end. They both seem to be able to make shots with a hand in their face..

Definitely get that. Just wish we had seen something to give a little more confidence in the other options.

There just isn't enough to draw a conclusion on Tre or Mashburn in my opinion. But Gabe has now shot 37 threes and is converting at a 21.6% rate. Guys that shoot that poorly are told not to shoot. It's like Shaq shooting free throws level of bad.

Freeman not getting minutes sooner is still a major question mark. There's nothing that I've seen yet to suggest that he should have been a bench warmer. Especially how thin we are at center. We NEED him to play some minutes and develop a bit. And it's nice to have a guy who isn't a beanstock.....who can slow down bigger players that simply try to bully their way to the rim.

Guys that shoot that poorly are told not to shoot. It's like Shaq shooting free throws level of bad.

Worse. .216 x 3 = .648 points per attempt. Assuming 2 free throws, .527 (Shaq's career average) x 2 = 1.054 per attempt.

There just isn't enough to draw a conclusion on Tre or Mashburn in my opinion. But Gabe has now shot 37 threes and is converting at a 21.6% rate. Guys that shoot that poorly are told not to shoot. It's like Shaq shooting free throws level of bad.
Yeah for sure. The unknown is better than the known bad. Just really surprised gabe hasn't figured it out, usually good free throw shooters are good shooters and he's shooting 90+% from FT

Top Bottom