***OFFICIAL DEPAUL AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Johnson wants their identity to be "a blue collar team that is gritty and fights." Last night was the first time that I didn't see that under his watch.

I knew that there would be growing pains with the youngsters. It's one game but I didn't expect the whole team to be so flat. Sometimes it takes getting knocked on your a55 a bit for the lights to go on with newbies. I imagine that practice will be a little rough the next couple of days.
With all due respect, I don’t know what “blue collar team that is gritty and fights” means.

Team sports are won by scoring more than your opponent. This can be accomplished by being good at offense (like hitting in baseball) or defense (like pitching). Ideally, both. if you suck at both, it does not matter how gritty, blue collar, or a fighter you are.

With all due respect, I don’t know what “blue collar team that is gritty and fights” means.

Team sports are won by scoring more than your opponent. This can be accomplished by being good at offense (like hitting in baseball) or defense (like pitching). Ideally, both. if you suck at both, it does not matter how gritty, blue collar, or a fighter you are.
In college basketball team defense matters. Defense requires more than just ability. Team offense requires more than just ability. Passing on a kid who is a harder worker vs a kid with more skill is an example. You’re right it’s about scoring the most points, but accumulating just talented players without looking into team/program fit is a recipe for disaster (See Richard Pitino)

In college basketball team defense matters. Defense requires more than just ability. Team offense requires more than just ability. Passing on a kid who is a harder worker vs a kid with more skill is an example. You’re right it’s about scoring the most points, but accumulating just talented players without looking into team/program fit is a recipe for disaster (See Richard Pitino)
We’re in violent agreement. Although, the Kentuckys and Dukes have a larger margin of error when it comes to fit.

If your blue collar system is producing bad offense and bad defense, you either have the wrong players for your system or the system doesn’t fit the talent. What exactly are the coaches trying to achieve and how are they holding themselves and the team accountable to the expectations?

Team/program fit is yet to be determined. Will play out as kids transfer, etc.

It's one game early in the season with a bunch of inexperienced first year players getting major minutes. Everyone was railing on Johnson for not playing younger players like Thompson and Thiam last year. The a55 kicking by DePaul is what you get when boys who think they know what they are doing play against men who have been in the trenches.

Let's see how the team responds to tonight before we start jumping off cliffs like lemmings. The kids are being thrown to the wolves... let's see if the embarrassing loss knocks some of the fog in their heads off. I imagine the coaches have been a little more 'vocal' in practice this week.

It's one game early in the season with a bunch of inexperienced first year players getting major minutes. Everyone was railing on Johnson for not playing younger players like Thompson and Thiam last year. The a55 kicking by DePaul is what you get when boys who think they know what they are doing play against men who have been in the trenches.

Let's see how the team responds to tonight before we start jumping off cliffs like lemmings. The kids are being thrown to the wolves... let's see if the embarrassing loss knocks some of the fog in their heads off. I imagine the coaches have been a little more 'vocal' in practice this week.
Thrown to the wolves? With this schedule? Please.
Time for the kids that many on gh praised over and over to now perform.

We’re in violent agreement. Although, the Kentuckys and Dukes have a larger margin of error when it comes to fit.

If your blue collar system is producing bad offense and bad defense, you either have the wrong players for your system or the system doesn’t fit the talent.
Totally true. If Johnson fails it’ll be because of this. I’d rather it be failed this way because at least he attempted something sustainable.

What exactly are the coaches trying to achieve and how are they holding themselves and the team accountable to the expectations?
We will find out now that the staff seems willing to play 8 guys. I’m excited to see it.

Team/program fit is yet to be determined. Will play out as kids transfer, etc.
It’s always a little fluid, but typically there are some core tenants in successful programs that are non negotiable. It’ll be interesting to watch it develop more and more, but I’m seeing a lot of length continuing to be added. Also think defensive intensity is better than in the past

It’s always a little fluid, but typically there are some core tenants in successful programs that are non negotiable. It’ll be interesting to watch it develop more and more, but I’m seeing a lot of length continuing to be added. Also think defensive intensity is better than in the past
I though one guy that appeared to have zero intensity the other night was Cooper. He concerns me.

If Johnson fails it’ll simply be in the continuum. Please don’t ban me.

Intensity is subjective and in the eye of the beholder.

The fact remains that they are, objectively, currently the worst statistical defense (points given up per defensive possession) in the conference by far. And relatedly, among the worst in college basketball in defensive rebounding. Rebounding is in part based on desire (synonymous with intensity).

3 games. Not enough data.

Thrown to the wolves? With this schedule? Please.
Time for the kids that many on gh praised over and over to now perform.
BB- Welcome back! I have really missed our exchanges!

Thrown to the wolves means having to step into big minutes that was not expected of them from day one. It doesn't matter who they are playing. D-1 will always be a step up from high school hero ball and it can take some time to adjust. I have seen many a superstar HS stud struggle in the early going.

As you have so adroitly pointed out, these Gopher recruits are certainly not highly regarded so shouldn't you have expected them to struggle mightily?

DePaul is not a bad squad. The kiddies looked fine against the first two opponents. Not so much against DePaul's experience. It's one game. Let's let the team get out of the starting gate before we write them off for the season.

It's almost like you are happy to see some missteps so you can come on here and gloat!

BB- Welcome back! I have really missed our exchanges!

Thrown to the wolves means having to step into big minutes that was not expected of them from day one. It doesn't matter who they are playing. D-1 will always be a step up from high school hero ball and it can take some time to adjust. I have seen many a superstar HS stud struggle in the early going.

As you have so adroitly pointed out, these Gopher recruits are certainly not highly regarded so shouldn't you have expected them to struggle mightily?

DePaul is not a bad squad. The kiddies looked fine against the first two opponents. Not so much against DePaul's experience. It's one game. Let's let the team get out of the starting gate before we write them off for the season.

It's almost like you are happy to see some missteps so you can come on here and gloat!
It was expected of some of them from day one. Henley and Carrington certainly, Payne as well. Been discussed here over an over that cbj didnt bring in any additional "guards" so Henley and Carrington could play a lot.

The first two opponents and last evening are nothing compared to the conference. Its almost as if you are making excuses. Already. Who would have thought?

Top Bottom