***OFFICIAL DEPAUL AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

We had trouble staying in front of St Olaf's guards. Every team so far has beaten us off the dribble.

Yep

I think it is going to boil down to 7 guys consistently:

Payne
Garcia/Ola Joseph
Battle
Henley/Carrington
Cooper

Ramberg, Samuels and Thompson are 5-10 minute guys depending upon foul trouble

The whole look of this would have changed with Ihnen and Fox. I think they would have played big and gone zone on defense with Battle at the 2 and all of the extra depth at the forward position.

Ben obviously wanted to win, but not in a do or die way last night. I think he was okay with taking the L or he wouldn't have player Ramberg 27 minutes and Samuels also got some run. I am done with the Thompson starting experiment...
I might keep Treyton in the starting five until January or maybe once Battle is back, go Cooper, Henley, Carrington, Battle and Garcia to start. Refs are usually whistle happy in the first half of the year and I'd hate to get Payne in foul trouble five minutes in while he's a freshman still learning the ins and outs of college basketball, but I'd move Payne to the starting five once were fully in conference season

I might keep Treyton in the starting five until January or maybe once Battle is back, go Cooper, Henley, Carrington, Battle and Garcia to start. Refs are usually whistle happy in the first half of the year and I'd hate to get Payne in foul trouble five minutes in while he's a freshman still learning the ins and outs of college basketball, but I'd move Payne to the starting five once were fully in conference season
This is the exact reason to start Payne. He is clearly physically talented but plays like a bull in a china shop. He needs to learn how to play the game, get a feel for how the game is being called. Right now he looks like he is trying to play high school ball where he just overwhelms kids. While there are still moments he can do that he needs to get a better feel for the game. That is where he can go from a solid player to an Oturu level star.

This is the exact reason to start Payne. He is clearly physically talented but plays like a bull in a china shop. He needs to learn how to play the game, get a feel for how the game is being called. Right now he looks like he is trying to play high school ball where he just overwhelms kids. While there are still moments he can do that he needs to get a better feel for the game. That is where he can go from a solid player to an Oturu level star.
If he's playing 25-30 a night, it doesn't matter if he comes in at the four minute media time out, he will be starting in no time, but for now you're just shooting yourself in the foot putting him in foul trouble early

Andre Miller was WAC player of the year in 1999,consensus first team All-American and had his number retired. His NBA career featured - 17 seasons and he sits 11th all time for career assists.

I’ll take that him any day - ridiculous comp.

Cooper if anything needs to shoot more threes, he hit 2-4 last night and has a nice release. He had 10 pts, 6 assists, 4 boards & 3 TOs. He is not the issue.

If you or anyone else didn’t expect some rough patches with Battle out and the Freshman getting their feet wet, then I question your understanding of how sports function and the concept of patience.

PS - your moniker is spot on- so you got that going for you Carl.
So you would take a 50 (correction 46 year old) player to be running point on your Big Ten team? I think he would be a little slow. I would take a Prime Andre Miller or a college Andre Miller...but my comparison was a current age andre miller (learn to read).

Holloman is getting a few minutes here and there for MSU, not like he's sitting on the bench and looking to leave, yet. Andre Miller? Probably the most underrated point guard in nba history to go along with his college career that was better than any Gopher PG ever... terrible comp.
again, I said current age Andre Miller (46 years old). I would take college Andre Miller...not the player who is 46 years old and probably struggles going up and down at the YMCA.

So you would take a 50 (correction 46 year old) player to be running point on your Big Ten team? I think he would be a little slow. I would take a Prime Andre Miller or a college Andre Miller...but my comparison was a current age andre miller (learn to read).

Your Fuzzy Math made your post invalid IMHO, Eeyore

again, I said current age Andre Miller (46 years old). I would take college Andre Miller...not the player who is 46 years old and probably struggles going up and down at the YMCA.
I'm hoping Alonzo Dodd gets homesick and we add him next year.

He is playing quite a bit at Texas A&M - Commerce and I think would be getting minutes here.

The Free Treyton club from last year will agree with you. They will cite his impressive and team-leading -1 in the =/- and his projected 16+ rebounds per 40 minutes. (Of course he played less than 5 minutes!)

In all seriousness though, Thompson and the coaching staff need to determine who he is and what role he has on this team. With players out, he needs to start doing some dirty work inside whether he wants to or not. It should be all about what the team needs.

As a non-traditional big man, his minutes may be best doled out based on the opponent. He may be best suited to play more minutes against certain teams and few, if any, minutes against others.

I don’t know the player’s name, but it looks like we have Andre Miller (current 50 year old ymca version) playing for us.
I don't know who the guy is, but I'm going to make a sweeping judgement about that player based on 1 of the 3 games being televised, and it's the one where the entire team played like garbage.

Solid.

Wow! I noted that Louisville had lost again but I hadn't seen that FSU lost a second time. #15 TCU lost by 1 to Northwestern State yesterday. There have been a lot of unexpected losses already this season.
It's funny to hear people complain about the portal ruining this game and maybe it's because the media only reports on the High Majors, but mid majors and low majors are using the portal to stay older as well, dipping into the D2/D3/NAIA ranks for guys. I think the game is going to have more parity than ever. As St. Peter proved last year and Oral Roberts two years ago there will still be Cinderella runs as well.

according to Ryan James, DePaul has the 29th-oldest roster in college basketball out of 358 teams.

he had Minnesota at 218th out of 358.

But, in his Strib article, Marcus Fuller said DePaul had the oldest average age of any "major conference" team and the 5th oldest in Division 1.

either way, it was a veteran team against a bunch of kids for the most part. and it showed.

Now, we see whether Johnson and Thorson can get the young players to realize what they're doing - or not doing - and make positive changes.

It's only 3 games, and most of the conference brethren haven't faced reasonably competitive opponents yet, but, according to t-rank, the gophers are...

-last in the conference and in the lower half of college basketball in offensive efficiency (hopefully gets better with Battle)
-last in the conference in turnover percentage
-last in the conference, by a mile, in defensive efficiency (in some part because the conference is very good on this end of the court, so far, but that fact does not bode well for an iffy offense)
-343rd in defensive rebounding - of course, that is directly associated with the poor defensive efficiency - was it just one really bad game? Because...
-47th at offensive rebounding, good for 4th in the conference. That's confounding. Is it that they simply try harder for boards on offense? Despite this (and impacted by turnovers), they still are objectively bad at offense.

It's only 3 games, it's only 3 games, it's only 3 games.

Rutgers decided to be excellent at defense when they hired Pikiell and they've been competitive despite having average-ish talent relative to the rest of the league. They have an identity. Iowa is always a top offense. I pick those two as opposed to the conference teams that win with superior talent because they are better comparisons right now. Have to pick something to be good at - it's possible if they can do it at Rutgers and Iowa who were as bad or worse than where the Gophers are now.

the whole team left last year. Everyone except That one kid. We are still garbage.

Last night was my first game watching or attending.

The Good:

-There is something there. Payne, JOJ, Carrington (first game jitters aside) and Henley will form a solid nucleus if they stick together.
-Deliberate as he is, Moore has some skills and smarts.
-Garcia is a good player, though not a program changer.
-They went up against a team that is capable of beating any team in the B1G. Without that drought in the first half where they missed five layups (a huge if, I know), they played them fairly evenly.
-They will look a lot better when Battle returns.
-They have a good coach who is also a good recruiter.

The Bad:

-This is the most out of shape gopher team that I have ever seen by far. A number of them actually have soft bellies, which is weird to see on a college hoops team. They looked way different than DePaul and they were gassed as the game went on, which shouldn't happen. I can't imagine this team pressing.
-This is the slowest playing gopher team I've seen in a long time. Moore even walked the ball up the court when the gophs were down by ten with about four minutes left.
-The free throw shooting has been discussed.
The 3pt shooting should improve when Battle returns and Carrington settles into his role.
-Really sorry to say this, but the backup pg can't compete at this level.
-This might be a tougher B1G season than last year because there are some expectations. Moore is not Willis, the team is really young, the FT shooting is really poor and the conditioning is a problem.

Rutgers decided to be excellent at defense when they hired Pikiell and they've been competitive despite having average-ish talent relative to the rest of the league. They have an identity. Iowa is always a top offense. I pick those two as opposed to the conference teams that win with superior talent because they are better comparisons right now. Have to pick something to be good at - it's possible if they can do it at Rutgers and Iowa who were as bad or worse than where the Gophers are now.
Johnson wants their identity to be "a blue collar team that is gritty and fights." Last night was the first time that I didn't see that under his watch.

I knew that there would be growing pains with the youngsters. It's one game but I didn't expect the whole team to be so flat. Sometimes it takes getting knocked on your a55 a bit for the lights to go on with newbies. I imagine that practice will be a little rough the next couple of days.

Johnson wants their identity to be "a blue collar team that is gritty and fights." Last night was the first time that I didn't see that under his watch.

I knew that there would be growing pains with the youngsters. It's one game but I didn't expect the whole team to be so flat. Sometimes it takes getting knocked on your a55 a bit for the lights to go on with newbies. I imagine that practice will be a little rough the next couple of days.
That was my biggest concern with yesterday. The things that I liked about last year (hard working, smart basketball, playing hard) were completely absent in last night's game.

They looked slow and out of shape.

That was my biggest concern with yesterday. The things that I liked about last year (hard working, smart basketball, playing hard) were completely absent in last night's game.

They looked slow and out of shape.
Completely. No getting around it.

The Good:

-There is something there. Payne, JOJ, Carrington (first game jitters aside) and Henley will form a solid nucleus if they stick together.
-They went up against a team that is capable of beating any team in the B1G. Without that drought in the first half where they missed five layups (a huge if, I know), they played them fairly evenly.

The Bad:

-This is the most out of shape gopher team that I have ever seen by far. A number of them actually have soft bellies, which is weird to see on a college hoops team. They looked way different than DePaul and they were gassed as the game went on, which shouldn't happen. I can't imagine this team pressing.
-This is the slowest playing gopher team I've seen in a long time. Moore even walked the ball up the court when the gophs were down by ten with about four minutes left.
The 3pt shooting should improve when Battle returns and Carrington settles into his role.
-This might be a tougher B1G season than last year because there are some expectations. Moore is not Willis, the team is really young, the FT shooting is really poor and the conditioning is a problem.
Who is Moore?

Also, soft bellies...were you in the locker room postgame?

The Good:

The Bad:

Do you mean Cooper?

Top Bottom