***OFFICIAL DEPAUL AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!***

Well...we have some talented freshmen...that play like... freshmen. They will be much better by the end of the season, but the Gophers are going to be on the wrong side of the score more often than not this season.
We were a step slower than DePaul and we were physically weaker than DePaul. With such young kids we end up watching the paint dry on offense and don't get many uncontested shots. This team just needs more practice and more games played for these young ones to learn how to play at this level. But, Henley, Carrington, Ola-Joseph and Payne are going to be very good if they stick around. By their Jr years they are going to be the ones who impose their will on their opponents. The future is bright. Just not tonight.
I agree with a lot if this. Also realize we are missing our best player, that hurts a lot. That said, we got absolutely out played in every single aspect of the game. Cooper and Garcia looked whiny and like it was below them to have to do the little things like box out. Our freshmen do have talent but wow if DePaul makes them look like this I shutter to think what Illinois mich st Michigan will do to them. Ramburg I'm sure is a good kid and tries but he should be nowhere near a B1G court unless it's with St Olaf. TT is useless.

Hope the guys can hang in there, it's going to be a rough season. That can often mean a lot of changes. Lastly, we need 2 PG. Henley Carrington are not it. If you swap Gibson with Cooper tonight we might win. Ben missed big only getting Cooper this year.

Serious lack of toughness, how many offensive rebound baskets did Depaul get. Correct that and you are in the ball game.

loyola MD and Western Illinois gave DePaul more of a challenge than this team.

How do you guys enjoy sports? Game 3 against a good opponent, playing 3 freshman significant minutes plus transfer guys trying to mesh. And it's the first half, AND we're still only down 12. Like, I know this forum is notoriously sky is falling but jesus, stop listening to KFAN for a minute and relax.
DePaul was also playing like 7 transfers

DePaul was also playing like 7 transfers
And pretty good ones at that. I’m not expecting tons of wins. What I am expecting is improvement every game. Battle will make a difference. Finding the right combination of starters and bench subs will be the key. Carrington first game, shot like crap. Need to rebound the ball much better. Depaul’s guards weee cat quick, not sure we will see any one quicker than that. Sure I’m not happy with the performance but Jesus you people jumping ship make me laugh.

This was tough to watch but I’m fine with this. This is what a rebuild looks like. The young guys have potential, now they need to take their lumps and get some real experience to grow. Hopefully it pays of in 1-2 years. IMO this was the biggest problem with Pitino. He was so afraid to lose that he always tried to plug holes with the transfer portal. At times we had very talented starting lineups but not developing guys as freshman and sophomores meant when injuries happened the wheels came off because he never had anyone ready to come off the bench. I’m excited to see how these freshman mature as the year goes on, and honestly I enjoy watching Battle play so much I’d probably tune in if it was only him out there playing 1 on 5. (Which at times it might feel that way this year). Sky isn’t falling, I’m happy to give it another year or two

other teams combine freshmen and transfers and don't look like a team ranked around 300

would prefer we looked more like TJ/ISU and less like a Jerry Kill year 1 football team losing to Dakotas
Name the teams and also were they missing one of the best guys in big ten?

other teams combine freshmen and transfers and don't look like a team ranked around 300

would prefer we looked more like TJ/ISU and less like a Jerry Kill year 1 football team losing to Dakotas
How many freshmen did he play last year? Where are they this year, honest question cause I don’t watch them.

The good:
- Payne is going to be a stud
- We scored 50+. For awhile it didn’t look like we’d get to 40.
- Ola-Joseph’s energy.

The bad: Pretty much everything else.

So there is a guarantee that the young freshman will be good?

Name the teams and also were they missing one of the best guys in big ten?
Name the teams: seriously? is there a team that doesn't have freshmen and transfers?

Battle, best guys in the big ten missing: no they don't. I'm hoping Battle is even more like Larry Bird this year. we need it. right now, more like Indiana State sans Larry Bird

adding: also for the second year in a row without Fox and Ihnen.

Last edited:

Ugh, that was a tough one.

I know it's probably not going to happen, but I think we'd actually rebound better with Battle at 4. Garcia does some things well, but he is getting us killed on the boards.

This game doesn't bother me. Payne is going to be amazing. Give Henley, Carrington, Ola Joseph some time and later this year, this team is going to be tough. I think it is going to be a lot of fun seeing where Ben can get these guys to be in a month or two. This game was perfect- just what they needed. They have not been playing well as a team, not very good at all on defense and they kind of needed someone to come in and do this to them. Depaul is very athletic, shot well and hustled to the boards.

Now we get Battle back and the coaches will have their attention on defense, blocking out and better team play on offense. Not a good performance tonight at all but this will be a fun team to watch.

At the game tonight and I gotta say this... that was the worst attended Gopher student section I've ever seen for a Power-6 opponent. My family has had season tickets my whole life, so I have many games to reference back to. Weather wasn't bad at game time, so that can't be an excuse for all those on campus. Students, I hope some of you are reading this post. Get out there and support your team.

This team has a long ways to go. That was very evident tonight.
Indeed it does. That said, last year's team looked great in the non-conference games. I'd rather have this team 10 times over.

Indeed it does. That said, last year's team looked great in the non-conference games. I'd rather have this team 10 times over.

I agree completely. I would much rather lose with young guys that you hope to develop vs. losing with a bunch of 4th years transfers.

However, I will be disappointed if we don't see better defensive performances and certainly better performances on the boards. This team will lack scoring and offensive talent, but defense and rebounding should always be the expectation.

Can't give up on anything based on this ugly one. But on the flip side, in the day of age of transfers at free will, the rebuilding argument is a tough one. Everybody plays with roster turnover and on a bad team there is no guarantee that young guys will stick around on bad teams. I guess we will see.

Top Bottom