Official Countdown to the Season Thread

CDH27 said:
I want to add my thanks for the video links. Has anyone uncovered any recent Julian Welch video. I am curious to see how his game has changed (hopefully improved) since his days at UC Davis. Thanks in advance to anyone that may have a link to share.

On twitter the players have been talking about shooting and going to the gym with welch. Sounds like he is really starting to fit in and work hard with the team.

Eff the unknowns, I'm drinking kool - aid like its my job and this team will win the big ten. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, I'm going to optimistic until I have reason not to be. I'm sick of being pessimistic as a Gopher fan, the basketball team is the only hope we have as Gopher fans so I'm definitely going to drink the kool-aid.

Yes, Welch will likely be in the regular rotation through the season, along with Andre Hollins, the only newbies to get more than 15 min per game. That will likely relagate Armelin and Austin Hollins to second five. And yeah, something tells be Tubby will do the full five substitution thing again, at least at beginning of season.

It's funny how much of a mystery Welch is. You'd think by this time someone would have seen him when the team was getting a few runs in and offered some analysis. I have no idea what to think about this years team, but I feel like it is an absolutely crucial year for the program.

Can Andre Hollins or Welch be an effective PG?
Can Andre Hollins, Welch, Austin Hollins, or Chip Armelin give us consistent backcourt scorer (12 plus ppg?)
Can Oto be the shooter to replace Hoff and keep teams from simply zoning the Gophers?
Is Mo Walker going to be ready to build off what we saw to start last year or will there be growing pains?
Tubby's talked up Elliott Eliason quite a bit, can he be an upgrade over Colton Iverson?
Will Ralph step his rebounding game up?
Can Rodney play like a guy with an NBA future instead of just dunk like one?

I am sure there are more questions, but those are at the top of my list.

You summed up my questions pretty well EG#9. I would add Joe Coleman to your list of candidates for a consistent back court scorers. I think it will take more than one outside shooter to deter the zone defense. Perhaps Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins and Julian Welch can have an impact here as well.

It's funny how much of a mystery Welch is. You'd think by this time someone would have seen him when the team was getting a few runs in and offered some analysis. I have no idea what to think about this years team, but I feel like it is an absolutely crucial year for the program.

Very quick thoughts:

Can Andre Hollins or Welch be an effective PG? Depends on your definition of effective. Will they be offensively efficient? Not very.
Can Andre Hollins, Welch, Austin Hollins, or Chip Armelin give us consistent backcourt scorer (12 plus ppg?) No. Welch could could score a bunch, but wouldn't do so very efficiently.
Can Oto be the shooter to replace Hoff and keep teams from simply zoning the Gophers? No. Hoffarber was very important to this team.
Is Mo Walker going to be ready to build off what we saw to start last year or will there be growing pains? When he's ready to hit the floor, it'll be a process.
Tubby's talked up Elliott Eliason quite a bit, can he be an upgrade over Colton Iverson? No, not this year.
Will Ralph step his rebounding game up? Nothing dramatic, but he'll be better.
Can Rodney play like a guy with an NBA future instead of just dunk like one? The NBA talk is wild, but if he gets more aggressive both in scoring (two-point FGs) and rebounding he'll contribute a lot more this season.

Very quick thoughts:

Can Andre Hollins or Welch be an effective PG? Depends on your definition of effective. Will they be offensively efficient? Not very.
Can Andre Hollins, Welch, Austin Hollins, or Chip Armelin give us consistent backcourt scorer (12 plus ppg?) No. Welch could could score a bunch, but wouldn't do so very efficiently.
Can Oto be the shooter to replace Hoff and keep teams from simply zoning the Gophers? No. Hoffarber was very important to this team.
Is Mo Walker going to be ready to build off what we saw to start last year or will there be growing pains? When he's ready to hit the floor, it'll be a process.
Tubby's talked up Elliott Eliason quite a bit, can he be an upgrade over Colton Iverson? No, not this year.
Will Ralph step his rebounding game up? Nothing dramatic, but he'll be better.
Can Rodney play like a guy with an NBA future instead of just dunk like one? The NBA talk is wild, but if he gets more aggressive both in scoring (two-point FGs) and rebounding he'll contribute a lot more this season.

No offense, but how the hell can you answer any of those questions definitively? Unless you are on Tubby's staff there is no way you could answer even one of those questions.

22 Days! This is last year's intro, I'm guessing this year's will make it's way online in the next couple of weeks after Tubby's Tipoff (or All-Star whatever it's called) takes place.

Do we really play four conference teams only once now?
Purdue, Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State...

Yes.

2-year rotations (I'm assuming), so next year we'll get Michigan & Penn State at home, Ohio State & Purdue on the road. I think we caught a break getting OSU & Purdue only at home this season. Can't see either team being better in 2012-13 than they are in 2011-12, unless Sullinger comes back for his junior season.

Top Bottom