***OFFICIAL ARKANSAS ST AT MINNESOTA IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

If you're looking for positives, the Gophers were challenged - and found a way to make plays to keep the lead and win the game. A year ago, I'm not sure they would have been able to hold off the opponent's rally. Yes, this team is deeper and more athletic - but what has me encouraged is that it appears there is a different attitude - and guys who want to come through at key moments and make a play.

I am NOT predicting the Gophs are going to storm through the B1G schedule. there will be ups and downs. But I am more optimistic about this team (and Pitino) today than I was a few months ago.

I was really happy to see the play ran which was a double screen one off the ball with 3 minutes left where they passed to Springs to sink a three to keep control of the game. It felt at that moment it was getting out of control. It was a really efficient use of the possession with that play. And it felt really good when he sunk it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also watching Dupree and Coffee play point it makes me really appreciate how consistent Mason plays the position almost every game. He's a real anchor for us.

Really shaky game tonight. I thought when the team was up 17 it was finally stepping on a teams throat...then they gave up the next 7 in a row by playing sloppy and unfocused basketball on both ends of the court. If there is anything the Gophers take away from this game, I hope it is that there is no room for lazy passes going forward.

A couple positives from the freshman tonight that I'd like to point out. As the game was getting chippy and Amir took a foul, the refs brought the players together and warned them or whatever. It was still Minnesota's ball, and Amir (after just getting fouled) goes strong to the basket and gets fouled again. The Gophers were not in the bonus, so it's out of bounds again and this time Amir takes his guy in to the post and hits an apparent "and 1", but is called for travelling. I LOVED this reaction to physical play, especially by a freshman. Late in the game, I believe we just went with one big: Eric Curry. Curry came up with 2 or 3 man sized rebounds in traffic while the game was still in doubt. I've thought Curry's biggest weakness to this point was a lack of strength (normal for a Freshman and he's been very good), but it was great to see him go up and get those boards.

The game against MSU feels so huge to me, which is ridiculous as it's just the opener of conference play. A great chance to get a win over an MSU team that likely will be much better later in the season. The Gophers rarely catch the break of playing teams when they are in a funk, so hopefully they can get this win and build some excitement for the rest of the year.

Really shaky game tonight. I thought when the team was up 17 it was finally stepping on a teams throat...then they gave up the next 7 in a row by playing sloppy and unfocused basketball on both ends of the court. If there is anything the Gophers take away from this game, I hope it is that there is no room for lazy passes going forward.

A couple positives from the freshman tonight that I'd like to point out. As the game was getting chippy and Amir took a foul, the refs brought the players together and warned them or whatever. It was still Minnesota's ball, and Amir (after just getting fouled) goes strong to the basket and gets fouled again. The Gophers were not in the bonus, so it's out of bounds again and this time Amir takes his guy in to the post and hits an apparent "and 1", but is called for travelling. I LOVED this reaction to physical play, especially by a freshman. Late in the game, I believe we just went with one big: Eric Curry. Curry came up with 2 or 3 man sized rebounds in traffic while the game was still in doubt. I've thought Curry's biggest weakness to this point was a lack of strength (normal for a Freshman and he's been very good), but it was great to see him go up and get those boards.

The game against MSU feels so huge to me, which is ridiculous as it's just the opener of conference play. A great chance to get a win over an MSU team that likely will be much better later in the season. The Gophers rarely catch the break of playing teams when they are in a funk, so hopefully they can get this win and build some excitement for the rest of the year.

Friendly amendment: Rarely take advantage of a team in a funk. I remember the Gophers being a get well game for plenty of teams in recent years. Need to knock off Sparty.

Also watching Dupree and Coffee play point it makes me really appreciate how consistent Mason plays the position almost every game. He's a real anchor for us.

+1. Mason has become a good all around PG and certainly didn't start that way as a frosh, so kudos to him for putting the work in and to Pitino & co for developing him. We would be in trouble if he was still a 1/2 tweener.

Forgot to comment about the crowd last night. It appeared on TV that it was the fullest it has been in awhile, maybe all year? Upper deck behind the hoops had a good amount of people. Usually pretty empty.

Hoping the Barn is full and rocking next Tuesday night!

why did lynch play such limited minutes?

Top Bottom