Official 2013 Class Recruiting Updates Thread

@AndrewJBone: Top moments today- No.2- The excitement from Nate Andrews when learning about his new offer from #Tennessee

Retweeted by Nate Andrews

How many scholarships do the Gophers have right now? According to (now defunct) FBT Scholarship grid, the team has 14 allotted scholarships. They currently have 14 players committed. It didn't account for the graduation of Kenny Watkins and the transfer of Shortell. SO that would make 16 available.

Anybody I am missing?

My guess is that Engel would be awarded a scholarship; making us have 15 scholarships for this year's class, matching our current commitment total. The coaching staff is probably anticipating a few transfers, but I really don't see how we could accept more than two more guys right now. We're filling up.

My guess is that Engel would be awarded a scholarship; making us have 15 scholarships for this year's class, matching our current commitment total. The coaching staff is probably anticipating a few transfers, but I really don't see how we could accept more than two more guys right now. We're filling up.

That is the $64,000 question, who, if any walk-on, will be awarded a scholarship? I would put Jon Christenson and Caleb Bak definitely ahead of Engel for being awarded a scholarship. Both of them have started several games while Engel has been at best a third stringer.

...who, if any walk-on, will be awarded a scholarship? I would put Jon Christenson and Caleb Bak definitely ahead of Engel for being awarded a scholarship. Both of them have started several games while Engel has been at best a third stringer.

Big-time sports do NOT work this way. Coach Kill mentioned this morning the schollie number he and staff are working with for this current recruiting cycle is 20.

Kill knows Christenson, Bak, and Engel are not going anywhere next year. Kill is trying to build a program. He is casting the net as wide as possible for anyone who can help win a football game (that's his job). There is no such thing as setting aside a scholly for a 'walk on guy' who is already here.

Now, having said that, if a scholly or 2 remains available after all is said and done (August), then we can resume this discussion.

Big-time sports do NOT work this way. Coach Kill mentioned this morning the schollie number he and staff are working with for this current recruiting cycle is 20.

Kill knows Christenson, Bak, and Engel are not going anywhere next year. Kill is trying to build a program. He is casting the net as wide as possible for anyone who can help win a football game (that's his job). There is no such thing as setting aside a scholly for a 'walk on guy' who is already here.

Now, having said that, if a scholly or 2 remains available after all is said and done (August), then we can resume this discussion.

Be careful about trying to defer a discussion here on GopherHole. I have made reference to seeing what happens and continue the discussion later, and have been called every name in the book because this is what a message board is for. If we can't talk about "MAYBE'S" for the future, then I have been told to shut up, and opinions are to be shared. So I take that as an assumption that uninformed opinions are worth something.

Sounds like Kill just offered kicker Ryan Santoso during today's visit, per Lucas Trickle on Twitter.

Be careful about trying to defer a discussion here on GopherHole. I have made reference to seeing what happens and continue the discussion later, and have been called every name in the book because this is what a message board is for. If we can't talk about "MAYBE'S" for the future, then I have been told to shut up, and opinions are to be shared. So I take that as an assumption that uninformed opinions are worth something.

Me, too. The "speculation" conversation on the number of available scholarships always cracks me up. It is not a discussion topic--it is a factual (and publicly unknown) number. The coaches know how many scholarships they will be able to give out, no one else (especially here) does.

As for walk-ons getting scholarships, Kill has consistently given them only to Seniors, and only when available in the fall. That way, that scholarship re-opens up the next season. Not understanding that is what got Bubbles Barker's undies in a bunch.

I believe you are right in some cases but not all cases. A good example is A.J. Barker. I believe he was able to guarantee a scholarship by transferring now. Therefore, I might suggest to you that in certain cases that they will award a scholarship to walk-on before August and in some cases for the spring semester. That is because a program would be foolish to wait until August to see if they are going to award a scholarship to an exceptional player when that player can guarantee a scholarship by transferring now. Part of the problem with the Barker situation was that Kill couldn't award one to Barker until spring semester and Barker wanted a guarantee now. To avoid those situations some scholarships can and are given to walk-ons before August.

But you have touched a very difficult situation Kill has now. He wants to encourage walk-ons but he still has a way to go to get the depth he wants. So how does he promote the walk-on program if doesn't award scholarships to deserving walk-ons? Kill has stated that if somebody is starting they deserve a scholarship.

Duke Riley ‏@1Goal1Dream
Bout head back to New Orleans.. Had a great time in Minnesota... Awesome Trip!!!

@AndrewJBone: Top moments today- No.2- The excitement from Nate Andrews when learning about his new offer from #Tennessee

Retweeted by Nate Andrews

Yeah I would be shocked if he ended up a Gopher, sucks

I believe you are right in some cases but not all cases. A good example is A.J. Barker. I believe he was able to guarantee a scholarship by transferring now. Therefore, I might suggest to you that in certain cases that they will award a scholarship to walk-on before August and in some cases for the spring semester. That is because a program would be foolish to wait until August to see if they are going to award a scholarship to an exceptional player when that player can guarantee a scholarship by transferring now. Part of the problem with the Barker situation was that Kill couldn't award one to Barker until spring semester and Barker wanted a guarantee now. To avoid those situations some scholarships can and are given to walk-ons before August..

How would A.J. have known he had 'options' unless he left the squad, was given his release, and then explored whether another program might have interest in him?

There are no guarantees (see Travis Busch).

Jerry Kill is not going to hamstring himself in December or January when the possibility exists he might find a late 'diamond in the rough' (see MBIII, Ben Hamilton, Bradley Vance, et al.)

He needs all the flexibility (available schollies) he can muster, and you don't maintain that by giving 'every deserving walk on' a ride.

How would A.J. have known he had 'options' unless he left the squad, was given his release, and then explored whether another program might have interest in him?

There are no guarantees (see Travis Busch).

Jerry Kill is not going to hamstring himself in December or January when the possibility exists he might find a late 'diamond in the rough' (see MBIII, Ben Hamilton, Bradley Vance, et al.)

He needs all the flexibility (available schollies) he can muster, and you don't maintain that by giving 'every deserving walk on' a ride.

LOL - I never said that. What I did say is that there are and will be some cases were it will be appropriate to give a walk-on a scholarship before August. Besides, it certainly would save then some money if they didn't have to pay for spring quarter.

per Nate Sandell:

It's been a busy month for Kill and his coaching staff. With the recruiting season in its final push, the Gophers have held their practices on the weekends as much of the staff has been spread throughout the country during the week.

Kill left Monday for several recruiting visits, including a trip to Van Alstyne, Texas to meet with already committed offensive lineman Alex Mayes. Kill made a quick stop back in Minneapolis Wednesday for practice, though most of the position coaches were absent, before heading back on the road.

Numerous recruits have made visits to Minnesota in the last two weeks. The Gophers' first bowl berth since 2009 has had the added benefit of giving those recruits something to see when they get to campus, instead of a team plunged into a premature offseason.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...geman_his_potential_pro_future_can_wait121712

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if its the Juco from Kansas, DeVondre Campbell. He committed to Tennessee last summer, they've had a coaching change... Would make sense.

They were referring to Donovahn Jones.

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
Just spoke with Georgia ATH and #Mizzou commit (@djones1_) about his official visit to #Minnesota. Really enjoyed his visit.

They were referring to Donovahn Jones.

RyanBurnsGI ‏@RyanBurnsGI
Just spoke with Georgia ATH and #Mizzou commit (@djones1_) about his official visit to #Minnesota. Really enjoyed his visit.

Don't think so, but maybe. Appears as though there were two SEC commits visiting, one specifically mentioned as a LB. I believe Jones is being recruited as a Safety, but could be wrong.

Don't think so, but maybe. Appears as though there were two SEC commits visiting, one specifically mentioned as a LB. I believe Jones is being recruited as a Safety, but could be wrong.

You're right!

De'Vondre Campebell was in town (Juco OLB)!!
http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/football/recruiting/player-De'Vondre-Campbell-140352

OLB on campus this weekend = Campbell, Dixon, Brown and Riley (possibly Jones)! Makes me wonder about Wipson and weather or not he will be a gray shirt!

Can't JUCOs sign this week? Apparently Kill doesn't allow recruits to commit on their visits, but if JUCOs can sign this week, I'd imagine we'll hear what Campbell is going to do soon (assuming he intends to enroll wherever he goes in January).

I watched a little of his hudl film. I think he posted the video - it states, "my first year playing linebacker", and it shows as he seems really raw. That said, he's a freakish looking athlete (6'5?!!), which I'm sure explains offers from Tennessee and Texas.

Can't JUCOs sign this week? Apparently Kill doesn't allow recruits to commit on their visits, but if JUCOs can sign this week, I'd imagine we'll hear what Campbell is going to do soon (assuming he intends to enroll wherever he goes in January).

I watched a little of his hudl film. I think he posted the video - it states, "my first year playing linebacker", and it shows as he seems really raw. That said, he's a freakish looking athlete (6'5?!!), which I'm sure explains offers from Tennessee and Texas.

JUCOs signing day is this Wednesday. I am not sure if this is just for January enrollment or does it include fall enrollment JUCOs?

Top Bottom