Offensive Scheme Change--can't hurt?

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
Want to preface by saying that I place most of the blame for our horrific start on the defense. When giving up 29 points is the 2nd best defensive performance of the year, it's no wonder that we're 1-4 to date.

That being said--one of the biggest excuses for Gray's lack of playing time at QB, and the reason for sticking with Weber at QB is that Gray isn't suited, or isn't prepared for the type of offense we run. After watching Northwestern and SD QBs torch us for hundreds of yards rushing, I'm wondering why we aren't changing our offensive scheme to adapt to a player that's built to play those schemes perfectly. Sure Gray isn't a spread QB guy. But maybe he'd be able to work well within an Northwestern or SD type scheme where you're running lots of options, or lots of designed QB draws.

idk. just thinking aloud. sick of losing.

I seriously think

that a huge part of the Gophers problem is the fact that there has been so much turnover at O-coordinator and a change from Pro-style to a poor attempt at the spread and now to a power run team. There has been no consistency in scheme for these kids to try and master. Our QB out here in Oregon sat for two years learning the offense and has stepped in well for the felon that got booted!!! Choose a scheme and recruit for that scheme....Sad thing is these kids are going to see another change real soon I feel. Just hope it's not mid-season like freakin BYU just did with a couple of their D coaches.

that a huge part of the Gophers problem is the fact that there has been so much turnover at O-coordinator and a change from Pro-style to a poor attempt at the spread and now to a power run team. There has been no consistency in scheme for these kids to try and master. Our QB out here in Oregon sat for two years learning the offense and has stepped in well for the felon that got booted!!! Choose a scheme and recruit for that scheme....Sad thing is these kids are going to see another change real soon I feel. Just hope it's not mid-season like freakin BYU just did with a couple of their D coaches.

+1

We've switched systems a lot in the last few years. Let's stick with one for a few years and see what happens. If/when the new coach comes in I sure hope he plans on running a similar system to what we've got here. We're recruiting for the power-running game now, so sticking with some form of that offense makes sense.

it is all about coaching and sound decision making-an area where we are severely handicapped (no offense to the handicapped intended)

I thought the offense played a decent game yesterday, not sure I would make changes. Execution in a couple of spots really would have made a difference. In that 3rd and short after Northwestern scored to cut the lead to two Weber has to find a way to get the first down. Pull up on the sprint out and get sacked is not going to win any games. Teams that do that are going to lose that is all there is to it.

Offense has not been the problem with this team in 2010. And frankly, talk of scheme change on offense especially, is ridiculous right now.

Top Bottom