Offensive Line for 2016

vames

Reaction score
Just saw a note that Alex Mayes was finished playing football due to injuries. Not sure if already reported or not, but with Bush, Campion, Bjorklund, Christensen, Bobek, Lauer, and Hayes hanging up their cleats, the OL for next season is definitely a concern! Pirsig and Moore will be returning starters. C Mayes is only other player returning with experience. Have never seen Rasmussen or Weyler mentioned in the two deep. Saw a note that Connelly looked good in practice. Am hoping that Oseland, Stieber, and Dovich turn the corner into Big 10 lineman. Hopefully Calhoun and Wright can come in right away and compete for positions. New OL coach will have a huge task on his hands starting on day one!

Just saw a note that Alex Mayes was finished playing football due to injuries. Not sure if already reported or not, but with Bush, Campion, Bjorklund, Christensen, Bobek, Lauer, and Hayes hanging up their cleats, the OL for next season is definitely a concern! Pirsig and Moore will be returning starters. C Mayes is only other player returning with experience. Have never seen Rasmussen or Weyler mentioned in the two deep. Saw a note that Connelly looked good in practice. Am hoping that Oseland, Stieber, and Dovich turn the corner into Big 10 lineman. Hopefully Calhoun and Wright can come in right away and compete for positions. New OL coach will have a huge task on his hands starting on day one!

I've seen Fahning (De La Salle walk-on) in the two deeps. He was an impressive HS football player who was probably 30 lbs away from getting a lot of BCS quality offers. He has put on quite a bit of weight and I think he'll be a fixture on the OL going forward.

Nick Connelly has looked good in practice and looks like a natural left tackle, our line will likely be Connelly, Calhoun, Moore, Wright, and Pirsig. If they can avoid injuries and work together they have a chance to be pretty good.

Young line, but I can see Oseland and Connelly battling for LT, Moore and Connor Mayes will both get plenty of run, the two JUCO boys Calhoun and Wright should crack the two deeps at Guard, both have a good shot at starting. Pirsig has RT locked down. I would imagine if Castillo commits he will have a shot at cracking the two deeps as the back up center. Don't know much about Fahning, Rasmussen or Weyler. Have Stieber and Dovich looked good in practice. I've heard good things about Oseland and Connelly hence why I mentioned them, plus Connelly huge?

Young line, but I can see Oseland and Connelly battling for LT, Moore and Connor Mayes will both get plenty of run, the two JUCO boys Calhoun and Wright should crack the two deeps at Guard, both have a good shot at starting. Pirsig has RT locked down. I would imagine if Castillo commits he will have a shot at cracking the two deeps as the back up center. Don't know much about Fahning, Rasmussen or Weyler. Have Stieber and Dovich looked good in practice. I've heard good things about Oseland and Connelly hence why I mentioned them, plus Connelly huge?

I'm not so sure Stieber would fit our new OL

I think it should be better than it was in the second half of this year with Calhoun and Wright coming in. The tackle opposite Pirsig is the only position that worries me. I think Pirsig switches over to LT and the two possibilities you have are as follows

LT: Pirsig
LG: Calhoun
OC: Moore
RG: Wright
RT: Connelly

or

OG: Mayes
RT: Wright

Oseland and Fhanning should back up the OT's while Weyler, Dovich, Leidner and Steiber back up the interior guys.

My guess at the two-deep:

LT: Connelly - Oseland
LG: Calhoun - Dovich
C: Moore - Leidner?
RG: Wright - Mayes
RT: Pirsig - Fahning

Bart Miller has a lot of work to do.

I think it should be better than it was in the second half of this year with Calhoun and Wright coming in. The tackle opposite Pirsig is the only position that worries me. I think Pirsig switches over to LT and the two possibilities you have are as follows

RG: Wright
RT: Connelly

or

OG: Mayes
RT: Wright

Oseland and Fhanning should back up the OT's while Weyler, Dovich, Leidner and Steiber back up the interior guys.

Pirsig won't be switching to LT. He tried it this year and it didn't work.

I could be mistaken, but I believe that Bobek still has the option to petition for a medical waiver for 2016 if he wants one.

If the Alex Mayes news is true/confirmed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor Mayes transfer with his brother no longer playing and given that he lost his starting spot this season.

Here are the players still on roster for 2016 who were in the participation reports and 2-deeps:

Jonah Pirsig - 13 starts

Connor Mayes - 9 starts, 13 depth chart appearances

Tyler Moore - 7 starts, 13 depth chart appearances

Matt Leidner - 3 appearances, 5 depth chart appearance

Chad Fahning - 2 appearances, 4 depth chart appearances

Jared Weyler - 4 depth chart appearances

Here's my prediction for the opening day depth chart next year:

LT Pirsig
Oseland/Connelly

LG Wright
Weyler

C Moore
Leidner

RG Calhoun
Weyler

RT Fahning
Connelly/Oseland

If C. Mayes actually does return, throw him in the mix as a potential starter. I agree with others that I wouldn't be surprised to see either of Connelly or Oseland start, though I'd give the edge to Oseland on the basis that Connelly still seems to be pretty lean and small to be a starting tackle in the Big Ten. Fahning played in mop-up duty and was on the depth chart for every game down the stretch, so he has to be considered the front runner, though it will be interesting to see how it shakes out in spring ball and fall camp next year.

My guess at the two-deep:

LT: Connelly - Oseland
LG: Calhoun - Dovich
C: Moore - Leidner?
RG: Wright - Mayes
RT: Pirsig - Fahning

Bart Miller has a lot of work to do.

this should be pretty close.

I think we'll be better on the O-line than this year. Pirsig and Moore will be a year older and should be better. Wright and Cahoun were JUCO All-Americans and are here for spring practice. I have to imagine that they will be at least equal to Bjorklund and Christenson. Connelly and Oseland have been getting great reviews in practice, so if it translates to games, we should be okay at LT.

If the Alex Mayes news is true/confirmed, I wouldn't be surprised to see Connor Mayes transfer with his brother no longer playing and given that he lost his starting spot this season.

Did it say that Alex was leaving school? Maybe he stays on as a student assistant and continues his studies here at the U with his brother. I would be just as surprised if they both left school rather than continue their education. That seemed like an important reason they came here in the first place.

In regards to Alex Mayes, why would he transfer and pay for school, when he can take a medical scholarship and complete his education?

Ryan Burns is attempting to confirm the latest situation regarding Alex Mayes. Previously mentioned post may be incorrect information. I am guessing AADad could provide first hand update if he checks GH. Hope it is not true as it would be good to finally see him on the field! Forgot about walk-ons Fahning and Kuehn.

Ryan Burns is attempting to confirm the latest situation regarding Alex Mayes. Previously mentioned post may be incorrect information. I am guessing AADad could provide first hand update if he checks GH. Hope it is not true as it would be good to finally see him on the field! Forgot about walk-ons Fahning and Kuehn.

During the season I heard he was going to hang it up due to injuries. Just couldn't seem to stay healthy.

Top Bottom