Offensive Depth??? Where Is It???????

thailleagle

Reaction score
I posted this somewhere else but I'm sure it got overlooked so let's try this one more time, I was speaking on our Offense...

It's not so much about just Weber but more so the Coaches "Obsession" with Decker. He's nearly our only answer on Offense. We talk about having better depth then in the Mason years but I remember Maroney going down & Russell picking up & having no dropoff...then Russell goes down & Pinnix comes in and racks up 200 yards in 1 half. Ellerson went down, still had Logan Payne, Wallace, Utecht & Wheelwright. I remember Cupito didn't play in that 2005 Game against Wiscy & Mortenson did just enough that we should've won. I also remember Khaliq not starting in the 2nd Half of the 2003 Game when we beat Wisconsin.......

What happened to the team Offensively? A lot of Mason Recruits weren't exactly highly rated on paper but they were coached up into being weapons. Even in 2006, Spaeth, Payne, Decker, Wheelwright, Jay Thomas all contributed to being weapons on Offense. When one wasn't having a good game another would step up. Even Jack Simmons had a *MONSTER* Bowl Game, wasn't that his 1st start? And I can't take the "no talent' argument because Green, Stoudamire, McKnight & Tow-Arnett are very good players. When are we gonna use 4 Star Recruit Hayo Carpenter a little more? He's young yes but how can a player get better and more comfortable if you don't play them?

Now it seems like once Decker is out we don't have ANY answer & I blame that on the Coaches because Green & Stoudamire are both good but it's amazing that neither (if any) receiver has had a "breakout" game since Brewster came to town and put the entire Offense on Decker's shoulders. When are we gonna see a 2nd WR emerge?

Why do Green/Stoudamire/McKnight/Hayo get so little designed plays? I remember watching Logan Payne & Ellerson on opposite ends of the field with Wheelwright between them and all 3 could make a huge play at any given point in time. Ellerson or Payne get hurt? Insert Wallace no problem. Now when I see Decker on the sideline with his shoe off and coaches looking at his ankle I just get sick to my stomach and think "there goes the offense." This is on the Coaches & I don't see how anyone with any Football sense could say different.......

This is why I think Gray will spread the ball around better then Weber because he hasn't been conditioned for 2 and a half years to look for Decker first. He also stares down too much. On both slant plays to Green Weber hiked the ball & never took his eyes off of Green the entire play both times. I notice a lot of other QB's will at least "fake" like they're looking the other way and then turn back. On Gray's 2nd or 3rd pass he hiked the ball and looked left to right, I almost cried, lol.......

I have no complaints about the Defense. They gave us a chance to win against PSU & were on the field nearly the entire 2nd Half of OSU, they're still human at the end of the day and tire out.......

Thoughts? :cool:

in the past few weeks IMHO.

I disagree. I think this is actually a good post. It's well reasoned, more than 20 words and actually has some substance. In other words, it is, without question, Thailleagle's best post in as long as I can remember. He should be recognized for that so the moronic, 20-word tripe he usually spouts will come to an end.

As sad as it is to say, we may have needed Decker to come out of the game for another WR to emerge. It's really counterintuitive that the team's best player (and far-and-away best player, mind you) couldn't be in the game for our offense to improve (and it may prove not to be the case; we all remember last year). With luck, Weber will be more open to scanning the field without his #1 target out there. If not, hopefully Gray can do it with some degree of success.

I could be horrifically wrong, but IMO it's just a matter of getting these guys some looks. Decker bore such an enormous load of offensive production that no other WR was able to develop any rhythm or consistency. I guess we'll find out this weekend. It's a problem of opportunity, rather than talent.

As to depth at other offensive positions, I actually feel pretty good about our position. There's a wealth of o-line talent working its way through the ranks which should provide a boost next year. RB is a bit of a question mark; we've got depth, but seem to be lacking a bit in quality. This year's recruiting class will hopefully address that. Obviously, we seem set at QB for the foreseeable future.

I agree that the element of Deck's recent injury...

adds substance to T's post and I stand corrected on that aspect of his reasoned contribution.

I disagree. I think this is actually a good post. It's well reasoned, more than 20 words and actually has some substance. In other words, it is, without question, Thailleagle's best post in as long as I can remember. He should be recognized for that so the moronic, 20-word tripe he usually spouts will come to an end.

As sad as it is to say, we may have needed Decker to come out of the game for another WR to emerge. It's really counterintuitive that the team's best player (and far-and-away best player, mind you) couldn't be in the game for our offense to improve (and it may prove not to be the case; we all remember last year). With luck, Weber will be more open to scanning the field without his #1 target out there. If not, hopefully Gray can do it with some degree of success.

I could be horrifically wrong, but IMO it's just a matter of getting these guys some looks. Decker bore such an enormous load of offensive production that no other WR was able to develop any rhythm or consistency. I guess we'll find out this weekend. It's a problem of opportunity, rather than talent.

As to depth at other offensive positions, I actually feel pretty good about our position. There's a wealth of o-line talent working its way through the ranks which should provide a boost next year. RB is a bit of a question mark; we've got depth, but seem to be lacking a bit in quality. This year's recruiting class will hopefully address that. Obviously, we seem set at QB for the foreseeable future.

You have to go a little ways back to the beginning of the season before my optimism turned to skepticism... :D

It is not the coaches "obsession" with Decker, it is totally on Weber. He locks in on Decker and will not throw the ball to other receivers. I think Gray might be better just for the fact that he won't have a receiver that he is in love with and may throw more to who is open.

It is not the coaches "obsession" with Decker, it is totally on Weber. He locks in on Decker and will not throw the ball to other receivers. I think Gray might be better just for the fact that he won't have a receiver that he is in love with and may throw more to who is open.

I couldn't agree more, bankonit. While I do think Gray is the better talent, maybe it's the chance that he will "share" the ball more is most intriguing to me. I want Weber to succeed as he seems like the son every parent wants but I also want to see this program move forward.

I also like Weber as a good guy and a good local guy. He has toughness and a great attitude but the love affair with Decker drives me nuts. Green, Allen, Hayo, Troy, are all capable but we don't really know for sure because they don't get the ball. Decker is great but spreading the ball around would make Decker even more deadly.

Top Bottom