Offense is offensive

BigGopherFan

Banned
Reaction score
-I missed the game, but from the box score, it looks like another chilly night on the offensive end. Williams finished 0-for2 from the field...yikes. It looks like the Gophers are in worse shape on offense than last season. It's beginning to look like Shamala was an upgrade to Rodney. I dunno how the offense got so damn bad, but it's not coaching. Minnesota just doesn't have skilled players on that end. This is a bothersome trend now.
-The defense seemed to play well again, which is encouraging. That's what is going to carry this team. You can't win if you can't score though. We'll see how this whole thing pans out.
-Lastly, I think we need to tone-down our expectations. Remember, last season Minnesota had a soft nonconference schedule and pulled off a miracle against Louisville. They didn't exactly tear up the Big 10. This team doesn't have that signature nonconference victory to save them this year...
-I would have to give the Gophers a "D+" so far this season overall.

-I missed the game, but from the box score, it looks like another chilly night on the offensive end. Williams finished 0-for2 from the field...yikes. It looks like the Gophers are in worse shape on offense than last season. It's beginning to look like Shamala was an upgrade to Rodney. I dunno how the offense got so damn bad, but it's not coaching. Minnesota just doesn't have skilled players on that end. This is a bothersome trend now.
-The defense seemed to play well again, which is encouraging. That's what is going to carry this team. You can't win if you can't score though. We'll see how this whole thing pans out.
-Lastly, I think we need to tone-down our expectations. Remember, last season Minnesota had a soft nonconference schedule and pulled off a miracle against Louisville. They didn't exactly tear up the Big 10. This team doesn't have that signature nonconference victory to save them this year...
-I would have to give the Gophers a "D+" so far this season overall.

Rodney going 0-for-2 is hardly one of our major problems. We've got them everywhere else.

The defense played well until crunch time, then they rolled over and died. This team is a straight up mess right now.

I dunno how the offense got so damn bad, but it's not coaching. Minnesota just doesn't have skilled players on that end. This is a bothersome trend now.
I think you're right. It's not coaching. The offense is Tubby's fault and it starts with recruiting at the guard positions. The Illini start two 4-star freshmen guards and in a hostile environment at Clemson tonight they combined for 34 points and shot 6 for a 11 from 3. If Tubby doesn't land at least a big-time guard or two, the gophers will have an extremely difficult time ever finishing in the top tier of the Big Ten, IMHO.

And I highly doubt that the play of our current guards is scaring away any and all high-ranked guard position recruits. Tubby needs to be a better salesman or find an assistant who can help with that.

Our offense is dreadful to watch in the half court. Doesn't seem to be much better than the Dan Monson days. Just pass it around the perimeter for twenty seconds and then heave up a shot. When we are running, we look better and it's much more enjoyable to watch.

I don't know how this team grades out at any better than an F right now, the record is the absolute worst case scenario. Nobody thought it was possible to go worse than 1-2 in Anaheim due to the presence of Long Beach State.

I am not writing off the season, but it's certainly frusterating to look forward to a season and have it start off in this manner. Throw in all the bad preseason news, and you could make an argument that Bo Ryan hired a witch doctor to cast a spell on our program.

Top Bottom