% OF BIG 10 FAN'S CHEERING FOR THE GOPHER'S SATURDAY AT WISKY

I doubt anyone means the entire fan base are jerks. I have plenty of buddies at work who are from that side of the St. Croix and cheer for ugly red. But they are able to be open minded about this week and admit Minnesota is likely to give them a game. And for the rest of the Badger fans, the ESPN talking heads, who undoubtedly will be picking Becky on Sat morning, we need to win to shut them up. Game is there for the players. Will be extremely tough, but they have their chance.

People can be open minded and still have an opinion it'll be a blowout one way or the other. Your argument is "x fans have an opinion that disagrees with mine so they're close minded".

I also realize a lot of racists or other close minded people employ the same logic to their situations. I don't excuse or condone their use of it as there are not more than one acceptable opinion on those subjects.

I think Wisconsin fans are required to sleep with dead people and dead animals. I couldn't be a becky fan even if I was unfortunate enough to live in that hell hole to the east.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My arrogance? I'm not sure what you mean exactly. But let me clarify my point. I have been to sporting events all over the country dressed in the visiting teams colors. I have usually had comments directed at me as I expected that I might. But that doesnt' make an entire fan base awful or jerks or whatever. It just means that some people are jerks.

You're absolutely right about that. My opinion is what sets Wisconsin fans apart to many fan bases is that your "jerks" have a reputation of going too far. Several Badger fans I know pretty much say the same thing. I recently met a guy from the Madison area who says he will never go to a game again. He saw a group of fans once throw a beer can at a couple from a visiting team (don't remember which team). The couple was in their 60's. I don't think they got hurt, but still.

Unfortunately, like many things, a small percentage can give a much larger group a bad reputation.

badgerdoc, you seem like a reasonable fellow and I'm sure you're a gracious host to visiting fans. I also agree that every fan base has some bad fans. I think what's different with Wisconsin is how many bad ones there are and just how over-the-line they're willing to go with their behavior. I've been on many road trips and you expect some good-natured ribbing, but the abuse and threats dished out by Wisconsin fans that I experienced were so beyond the rest. From what I've read from other fansites, is that my experience is shared by many fans of many other teams.

badgerdoc, you seem like a reasonable fellow and I'm sure you're a gracious host to visiting fans. I also agree that every fan base has some bad fans. I think what's different with Wisconsin is how many bad ones there are and just how over-the-line they're willing to go with their behavior. I've been on many road trips and you expect some good-natured ribbing, but the abuse and threats dished out by Wisconsin fans that I experienced were so beyond the rest. From what I've read from other fansites, is that my experience is shared by many fans of many other teams.

Here's a good example of the asshats Wisconsin fans are: 1993, their first big season in forever, they filled 1/3 to 1/2 of the Dome for that game. The U, for whatever reason, gave out free plastic footballs to the people seated in the end zone opposite the student end zone section...of course they were almost all Skunk fans. One might think that a good visiting fan might either deny grabbing the hosts' handouts, if they didn't like them. Or, they could keep them as souvenirs. That's what decent people would do, anyway.

Now, until that time I did not hate Wisconsin. But when they scored, and when we scored, they littered that damn end zone - our end zone - full of those plastic footballs, the bunch of asshats they are. And of course, the Minnesota nice that Minnesota tends to be, security didn't kick the lot of them right out of the building. Should have. And, of course, the Gophers knocked them from their undefeated season; and went on to win @Wisconsin in 1994 as well in Wisconsin's "second-ever" good season. That 1993 victory was the sweetest win I ever saw, and cemented in me the hate for those skunky asshats from Wisconsin. It's not the UW players I hate, it's their fans.

To summarize: Wisconsin fans are total Asshats.

My arrogance? I'm not sure what you mean exactly. But let me clarify my point. I have been to sporting events all over the country dressed in the visiting teams colors. I have usually had comments directed at me as I expected that I might. But that doesnt' make an entire fan base awful or jerks or whatever. It just means that some people are jerks.

You remind me of a friend from a while ago. Seemed like a level headed fellow and was a good co-worker with another good friend; and when I relayed experiences to him about visits to camp randall and lambo, he would reply in a most syrupy tone about how that was really unfortunate, and really expected better from "those" fans and was very adamant about how those are isolated incidents. He assured me that a return visit would yield different/better results. Fast forward to two weeks later during a Vikings/packers game where he showed up at the bar and became known as the loudest, drunkest, most obnoxious fan in the bar in a matter of moments, in short, he became the embodiment of the typical whiskey transplant. When I asked him about the abrupt turnaround he just looked at me with the "oh, you caught me" face, and continued being an ass. Vikings won, and he "rage quit" and left the bar slurring, staggering and swearing.

So when you show up wearing whiskey colors at an opposing stadium, you just have to assume that your fan base has already poisoned the other fan base, and you will be viewed in the same light as those that have been accosted in the past.

You and your fans have, without a doubt, the worst reputation in the B10. Playing the martyr won't change that. Having your AD get a cheerleader pregnant won't change that. Her getting an abortion won't change that. Having your associate AD provide booze for underage boys and trying to jerk them off won't change that, especially when he wasn't fired but was allowed to resign. Your former coach hitting on co-eds during his entire career won't change that. And when your current coach tries to change tradition will not only not change that, but make him look like a petulant child.

I'm so ****ing sick of your (meaning your entire fanbase) undeserved arrogance. Go ahead and revel in the greatest run in your history, you should, it's been earned, but don't act like you're the recent edition of Alabama when your best results are far below our historic accomplishments.

I doubt anyone means the entire fan base are jerks. I have plenty of buddies at work who are from that side of the St. Croix and cheer for ugly red. But they are able to be open minded about this week and admit Minnesota is likely to give them a game. And for the rest of the Badger fans, the ESPN talking heads, who undoubtedly will be picking Becky on Sat morning, we need to win to shut them up. Game is there for the players. Will be extremely tough, but they have their chance.

I wouldn't say that all the ESPN talking heads will go wisky. We had 2 I believe on game day pick us last week

Here's a good example of the asshats Wisconsin fans are: 1993, their first big season in forever, they filled 1/3 to 1/2 of the Dome for that game. The U, for whatever reason, gave out free plastic footballs to the people seated in the end zone opposite the student end zone section...of course they were almost all Skunk fans. One might think that a good visiting fan might either deny grabbing the hosts' handouts, if they didn't like them. Or, they could keep them as souvenirs. That's what decent people would do, anyway.

Now, until that time I did not hate Wisconsin. But when they scored, and when we scored, they littered that damn end zone - our end zone - full of those plastic footballs, the bunch of asshats they are. And of course, the Minnesota nice that Minnesota tends to be, security didn't kick the lot of them right out of the building. Should have. And, of course, the Gophers knocked them from their undefeated season; and went on to win @Wisconsin in 1994 as well in Wisconsin's "second-ever" good season. That 1993 victory was the sweetest win I ever saw, and cemented in me the hate for those skunky asshats from Wisconsin. It's not the UW players I hate, it's their fans.

To summarize: Wisconsin fans are total Asshats.

I was at that game in said student section. I remember laughing at all the Rose Bowls sheets of paper Badger fans were holding up all game. And then we beat them and I laughed harder. Then they made the Rose Bowl and I shut up ;)

From my experience, Nebraska fans are the most friendly fans in the conference to visiting team fans. I'll chime in again after this weekend after commiserating with the dirtbags in Wisky. Still recall a bball game at Williams arean I attended probably 10 years ago with my 8 year old son. Two wisky fans sitting close to us ripping everything about gopher sports and cussing up a storm. I couldn't care less if they were having a conversation between themselves but they felt the need to talk loud enough so that everyone within 5 rows of them could hear - total diks.

I wouldn't say that all the ESPN talking heads will go wisky. We had 2 I believe on game day pick us last week

Serious question- don't you think the Game Day "picks" are all staged? I am guessing they all talk and decide who is going to pick whom to make it seem fair and reasonable.

I think about 20% would be Gopher fans.
Majority would want a good Championship game between a #12 or so Wisconsin with OSU.
If I weren't a Gopher fan, I'd want WI to win so we have a better chance of getting a playoff team.

Top 5 stadiums list:

1) OSU- The Horseshoe is loud, huge and an intimidating place to visit. Their fans are by far the worst that I have personally experienced as a visitor, but otherwise a great environment.
2) PSU- As I said early, Happy Valley really is a happy place. The stadium has kind of a weird configuration (lots of fans high up in the end zones) but othewise beautiful and fun.
3) Camp Randall- Alhtough clearly I am not a visitor here.
4) Iowa- Kinnick is a really great environment. Iowa City was a beautiful surprise.
5) MSU- Not much of town, but a pretty great stadium to watch a game.

Seriously, is there some place out there where people tell a different story? I've lived in WI and have never been able to find the belligerent A-holes who pollute that city on gameday.

I have to agree as well. I've been to Madison several times (though only a handful on game days) and never had an issue.

Top 5 stadiums list:

1) OSU- The Horseshoe is loud, huge and an intimidating place to visit. Their fans are by far the worst that I have personally experienced as a visitor, but otherwise a great environment.
2) PSU- As I said early, Happy Valley really is a happy place. The stadium has kind of a weird configuration (lots of fans high up in the end zones) but othewise beautiful and fun.
3) Camp Randall- Alhtough clearly I am not a visitor here.
4) Iowa- Kinnick is a really great environment. Iowa City was a beautiful surprise.
5) MSU- Not much of town, but a pretty great stadium to watch a game.

Pretty good list, but I would remove PSU. The stadium is like glorified high school bleachers, and it feels like you're climbing a water slide as you shuffle up those ramps to your seats. When I went, fans threw snowballs and shouted obscenities at us the entire game and even found a security guard to make us sit down on our snow covered seats (security guard refused and told us we could stand). That was my experience anyway.

I have to agree as well. I've been to Madison several times (though only a handful on game days) and never had an issue.

I think most Wisconsin fans are just like most fan bases. I have no problem with some good natured trash talking. I think that is what makes it fun. But my experience has been that the "jerks" among their fan base tend to go more to the extreme than most fan bases. Every fanbase has those kind of fans, but I've seen things or heard stories involving WI fans that I have never seen or heard of with other fan bases.

Top Bottom