Odds Brewster is our coach next year = 1:1

Thanks for the advice o wise one. This coming from the person who thinks what happened with KFAN even registers a blip.

You guys just don't get it, do you? Brewster and the communications guy who was doing what Brewster told him to do told Maturi that they didn't say that to KFAN. So Maturi believes them and goes out and says that none of what KFAN is alleging is true. So then KFAN goes out and reads the emails that prove that Brewster's communications guy did, in fact, say exactly what KFAN said they did. So they were caught in a lie. A lie that Maturi believed. And then got made to look like a fool because he believed them and went on record with it.

Hey, we gave Jim Wacker 5 seasons before firing him. It seems like Brewster is a clone of Wacker, actually.

Gortons, did you watch the gophers when Wacker was head coach. His OVERALL wins for his 5 seasons was 2, 4, 3, 3, 4. His total Big tens wins 2, 3, 1, 1, 1. Please stop comparing Brewster to Wacker.

In Mason's last six years (years five through 10) he had a winning big ten record - twice. I guarantee you that Brewster will have a better Big 10 record then Mason.

Agreed. Once again, there is NO WAY Brew is not our coach next year. You gas a coach after 3 years and this job is then impossible to fill with almost any average to good coach. I also think it is likely he gets an extension (assuming he beats Illinois and SDSU and is competitive or beats MSU). He wins at Iowa and an extension is in the bank for him.
An extension? Good lord. I agree it's too early to talk about firing him but extending him? No way.

BREW

Brew is our coach. He is building a program (TBD). We are maybe 1 loss (WI) too many. Did any one really think we would beat PSU & OSU back to back on the road? Common people. RELAX and support your team!!

Gortons, did you watch the gophers when Wacker was head coach. His OVERALL wins for his 5 seasons was 2, 4, 3, 3, 4. His total Big tens wins 2, 3, 1, 1, 1. Please stop comparing Brewster to Wacker.

In Mason's last six years (years five through 10) he had a winning big ten record - twice. I guarantee you that Brewster will have a better Big 10 record then Mason.

Thank you very much for posting this. I was just looking up this info for a similar post.

I know some will say that Brew came into a much better situation than Wacker did, but until his final year Gutekunst-Wacker's predecessor- was usually a middle of the pack, around 0.500 Big Ten coach-much like Mase. That is what Wacker inherited, and subsequently was never better than 4 wins and 3 Big Ten wins.

100% chance Brewster is our coach.

Not 50%, not 75%, not 99%.

100%.

Let's get this on the record, knuckleheads.

This is true, but maybe a bigger question is the status of his contract extension? I suspect this is hampering recruiting a bit (along with the bad losses). Will Brewster get an extension when he is performing at a level so obviously below the standards of a major college coach?

This is true, but maybe a bigger question is the status of his contract extension? I suspect this is hampering recruiting a bit (along with the bad losses). Will Brewster get an extension when he is performing at a level so obviously below the standards of a major college coach?

huh?! :rolleyes:

Agree with Studwell

It's been a long time since I posted. Someone will look up my previous posts and say "the troll has returned" so I won't rehash my position on Brewster that I've had since day one. Unfortunately I have to agree with Studwell. We've got a coach working under contract for peanuts and Maturi has more concern about the bottom line than anything else. I'd be surprised if he didn't stand behind his guy for at least one more year. I seriously hope there's no consideration of an extension at this point...

Contrarian view for those who say it'd be impossible to bring in a legit coach IF they fired Brewster this year: I'd contend that it would show that the Administration is serious about turning the program around. The usual convention is that a "new" coach is graded seriously in the 3rd year. There hasn't been a heck of a lot to write home about in Brewster's third year...

The usual convention is that a "new" coach is graded seriously in the 3rd year. There hasn't been a heck of a lot to write home about in Brewster's third year...
I've heard that for the NFL. That seems early for college football. It's uncommon for a coach to be fired after 3 years. The Illinois AD just said he didn't think it would be fair to fire Zook after 5.

You guys just don't get it, do you? Brewster and the communications guy who was doing what Brewster told him to do told Maturi that they didn't say that to KFAN. So Maturi believes them and goes out and says that none of what KFAN is alleging is true. So then KFAN goes out and reads the emails that prove that Brewster's communications guy did, in fact, say exactly what KFAN said they did. So they were caught in a lie. A lie that Maturi believed. And then got made to look like a fool because he believed them and went on record with it.
For some reason my original response didn't post.

It's like a tree falling in the woods, if nobody hears, it doesn't matter. The % of people that are even aware of the "incident" is small. The % of people that care is much smaller. It's a total non-issue.

Gophprof - pros versus college is a point taken. Even in college however, the third year is usually considered a measuring stick for how effect a coach has been in establishing an identity and bringing his initial recruits on the field on Saturdays. I acknowledge that because of the messed up hiring process he was put behind the 8-ball in year one, but we still don't have an identity as a team (one person's opinion) and we've seen some pretty atrocious outcomes already during Brewster's tenure.

With regards to the Illini comparison, I'm not sure it holds. Zook has a history as a head coach that they can at least grasp on to. Brewster is still a very much unproven commodity - as a game day head coach...

May the football gods of GH bless TB with success...

because for the tribes of GN, firing Brew will likely result in yet another agonizing 3-5 years of wandering aimlessly in the desert of program "rebuilding" .

because for the tribes of GN, firing Brew will likely result in yet another agonizing 3-5 years of wandering aimlessly in the desert of program "rebuilding" .

Assume you mean "tribes of GM"? I'd be willing to agree with you if I didn't think we're in for 3-5 years of wandering regardless due to the revolving coaching philosophy door that we've had thus far...

"Can anyone imagine how difficult it'd be to hire a new coach with credibility if Brewster were fired this year?"

For the record, I don't think Brew will or should be fired (only maybe if he loses to both Illinois and SDSU), but it would not be difficult at all to hire a new coach. Brand-spanking new stadium in only its second season, Big 10 program, etc. Snicker if if you want about the strength of Big 10 football right now, but there are only 11 jobs of that nature. There would plenty of capable suitors, just have to pick the right one, i.e. an Alvarez, Ferentz, etc. The Big 10 is still the Big 10, and who heard of those two guys before they turned Wisconsin and Iowa (schools similar to the U) into winners?

For some reason my original response didn't post.

It's like a tree falling in the woods, if nobody hears, it doesn't matter. The % of people that are even aware of the "incident" is small. The % of people that care is much smaller. It's a total non-issue.

Then I wonder why Maturi is so P.O.'d

Once again, the idiots with 10 posts come out of the woodwork and put this board in a tizzy. There is no way Brew won't be coach until we completely fail on expectations. I would begin to worry if we pull an L against Illinois, though.

I doubt they have a chance against Michigan State. The Illinois game is important. He'll come back next year for sure but if they go 2-6 this year he'll have no room for error next year. Maturi can't waist the new stadium on failure.

Other than birdies, who really has the inside scoop on Brewster/Maturi relationship? The Dunbar thing was bad for Maturi, I know, but the KFAN thing? C'mon. If anyone really has inside information on their relationship, please share.

I love all these people that think they know what Maturi is thinking. You probably don't even know what your wife is thinking. Which is why you're probably still married.

If I'm Maturi, even if I really don't think Brewster is the solution here I don't fire him now. The exception would be if there was a Tubby type lurking. The reason you don't fire him is first of all it's just too early. He's actually doing fairly well from a historical perspective. But even if Maturi wants a change he waits, because Brewster is a good recruiter. Two more solid recruiting years and who ever walks in has a damn good team to start with. And in two more years maybe Brewster is winning, and you don't have to schill out the big bucks for a big name. There is very little down side in waiting the program out two more years.

U of M football has been either a coach killer or the last stop for coaches who ran out of HC options. Brew is going to get this thing turned around.

... here would plenty of capable suitors, just have to pick the right one, i.e. an Alvarez, Ferentz, etc. The Big 10 is still the Big 10, and who heard of those two guys before they turned Wisconsin and Iowa (schools similar to the U) into winners?

I think the more pressing question would be, who would have guessed, in either of those two coaches' 3rd seasons, that either one was more than a mediocre coach for a perennial below-average Big 10 team?

Top Bottom