Oct. 7, 1962

Reaction score
I never throw stuff away. Digging through some old stuff today, I found the sports section from Oct. 7, 1962, from the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune, the Sports Peach. It was in my dad's store for years, I found it and took it in the mid 1990's. You have to love the main story, which was Minnesota's win over Navy 21-0. I've got the complete section. Hard to believe how the team was covered then. The Vikings against Halas' Bears story was on page 3, Gopher dominating the section. -1.jpg

Here is a larger version, easier to read. According to the stories, starters for U of M included photo(3).jpgCarl Eller. Staubach was listed for Navy as one of the QB, although it appears he was third string. He was 0-2 passing in the game.

I like how they marked the picture with graphics to point out important elements.

I never throw stuff away. Digging through some old stuff today, I found the sports section from Oct. 7, 1962, from the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune, the Sports Peach. It was in my dad's store for years, I found it and took it in the mid 1990's. You have to love the main story, which was Minnesota's win over Navy 21-0. I've got the complete section. Hard to believe how the team was covered then. The Vikings against Halas' Bears story was on page 3, Gopher dominating the section. View attachment 1420

I think I was just a glimmer in my dad's eye at that time!!! How I would love to have the Gopher's dominate the football scene here in Minny!!!

Agree, now you get at least an 8 page spread on the Vikings during game day. During the week, 3-4 pages of rhetoric. It makes me want to puke.

Maybe one day again it will not matter what happens to the Vikes - because we are headed to the Rose Bowl.

I never throw stuff away. Digging through some old stuff today, I found the sports section from Oct. 7, 1962, from the Minneapolis Sunday Tribune, the Sports Peach. It was in my dad's store for years, I found it and took it in the mid 1990's. You have to love the main story, which was Minnesota's win over Navy 21-0. I've got the complete section. Hard to believe how the team was covered then. The Vikings against Halas' Bears story was on page 3, Gopher dominating the section. View attachment 1420

People talk about hoarding like its a bad thing...this just proves that hoarding has its upsides.

Neat picture. Is the cheerleader in the background photoshopped in?!

I was at that game as a U student. That game and Cal Stoll's upset of #1 Michigan were the two most dominant Gopher defensive efforts in the last 50 years. My recollection is that Roger Staubach took most of the snaps and spent most of the afternoon on his back, courtesy of Bell, Eller and company. One of my favorite alltime Gopher football games. Would love to see the Peach section again. Even Sid was in his prime during that period.

I did find another interesting, non-gopher-related, story inside. They had the boxing rankings at that date, and at Heavyweight the champion was Sonny Liston. Ranked as the #7 contender, Cassius Clay.

Top Bottom