Observations from San Diego....

Reaction score
From a Gopher fan.
1.At the Alumni Luncheon when both Coyle and Kaler spoke they received " golf " claps. Claeys received what amounted to a standing ovation....
2. At the Union Bar Alumni/Soda Social Kaler didn't mingle with the fans. He sat in the back part of the restaurant with I believe Dean Johnson and other Alumni dignataries...........
3. The Gopher Band was about twice the size of the WSU Band.......
4. At the Balloon Parade the Gopher Band looked great marching down Harbor Drive.
Received a lot of compliments from the locals......
5. WSU fans a lot like Nebraska fans. Very cordial and knowledgeable. Some had even read the EOAA report because they had also had a run in with them concerning a player incident...
6. 3 days in San Diego doesn't give it justice...Lots of things to do and you can get to most places via the trolly...
7. The San Diego Union Tribune game coverage. Title of the game review was: " Golden Holiday",
but also a Reusse like review titled:" Where did the rootin, tootin, bowl game go"?
Another quote from the writer Bryce Miller: "Who kidnapped our Holiday Bowl, and what are your demands? You can imagine what the rest of the column was like.....
8. Quote from Claeys: " We ain't apologizing for anything. I'll sleep awfully good in the new year"
9. Quote from WSU QB Talk: " We shot ourselves in the foot. It was nothing special they did, we just
didnt execute"......
10. Quote from Leach: " I didn't think we were mentally tough....Allowed ourselves to get discouraged. Worst thing I saw we had a certain number of people pouting on the sidelines"....
11. Qualcomm Stadium: A giant cement factory that should be taken down. Horrible venue for concessions and food was marginal The mezzanine was was dark and dungeon like.....

what's with "San Diego" in the end zones in each school's colors? instead of the school names. Is that a Holiday Bowl thing?

on the news today they announced ticket sales at 52,000 (instead of the 48,704 announced attendance during the game), so i think the Bowl committee was generally happy. Higher attendance than last year

what's with "San Diego" in the end zones in each school's colors? instead of the school names. Is that a Holiday Bowl thing?

on the news today they announced ticket sales at 52,000 (instead of the 48,704 announced attendance during the game), so i think the Bowl committee was generally happy. Higher attendance than last year

Yep...We noticed the endzone .Kind of tacky. Same with the video board. Good fireworks display though.....

3,296 no shows? Are some of these tickets that were purchased for promotions or by corporations?

In fairness to Kaler, he did go around serving pancakes and sausage seconds to us parents at the Parent & Family Weekend brunch. So I don't think he avoids the common people so much as, in that situation, he was worried that he'd stir the hornets nest and incite pitchforks and torches if he mingled with football fans.

Chargers are at home on Sunday and the field is a mess from two bowl games, one was played in rain storm. I think they just changed colors so it's easier to change back. I agree it was tacky.

9. Quote from WSU QB Talk: " We shot ourselves in the foot. It was nothing special they did, we just didnt execute".......

I've seen this before. LOL. Yeah, "we prepared for the 1-1-1-4-4. We weren't confused by it." Okey Dokey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From a Gopher fan.
11. Qualcomm Stadium: A giant cement factory that should be taken down. Horrible venue for concessions and food was marginal The mezzanine was was dark and dungeon like.....

San Diego is trying to get a new stadium built for the Chargers (think there was a referendum this year that failed). So the folks there recognize it needs to go.

San Diego is trying to get a new stadium built for the Chargers (think there was a referendum this year that failed). So the folks there recognize it needs to go.

Unless something changes in the next couple of weeks, they're expected to announce they're moving to LA.

From a Gopher fan.
1.At the Alumni Luncheon when both Coyle and Kaler spoke they received " golf " claps. Claeys received what amounted to a standing ovation....
2. At the Union Bar Alumni/Soda Social Kaler didn't mingle with the fans. He sat in the back part of the restaurant with I believe Dean Johnson and other Alumni dignataries...........
3. The Gopher Band was about twice the size of the WSU Band.......
4. At the Balloon Parade the Gopher Band looked great marching down Harbor Drive.
Received a lot of compliments from the locals......
5. WSU fans a lot like Nebraska fans. Very cordial and knowledgeable. Some had even read the EOAA report because they had also had a run in with them concerning a player incident...
6. 3 days in San Diego doesn't give it justice...Lots of things to do and you can get to most places via the trolly...
7. The San Diego Union Tribune game coverage. Title of the game review was: " Golden Holiday",
but also a Reusse like review titled:" Where did the rootin, tootin, bowl game go"?
Another quote from the writer Bryce Miller: "Who kidnapped our Holiday Bowl, and what are your demands? You can imagine what the rest of the column was like.....
8. Quote from Claeys: " We ain't apologizing for anything. I'll sleep awfully good in the new year"
9. Quote from WSU QB Talk: " We shot ourselves in the foot. It was nothing special they did, we just
didnt execute"......
10. Quote from Leach: " I didn't think we were mentally tough....Allowed ourselves to get discouraged. Worst thing I saw we had a certain number of people pouting on the sidelines"....

Rupert- I had an interesting e-mail exchange with Bryce Miller. I made the points that he seemed genuinely annoyed that the Gophers had the temerity to dash his dreams of another Holiday Bowl shoot-out and that some fans actually appreciate a field position game that features such fading skills as pass rushing, coverage and tackling. There are even some schools where these are still prioritized. If his pleasure depends on offense, I recommended that the Holiday Bowl go back to inviting Big 12 teams, a conference in which defense is a mere suggestion. To his credit, he got back to me immediately and said he was put off by the interminable replay delays and the general pall put over the game by "the scandal". I did not like the dismissive article but he does get points for a prompt and cordial response.

Rupert- I had an interesting e-mail exchange with Bryce Miller. I made the points that he seemed genuinely annoyed that the Gophers had the temerity to dash his dreams of another Holiday Bowl shoot-out and that some fans actually appreciate a field position game that features such fading skills as pass rushing, coverage and tackling. There are even some schools where these are still prioritized. If his pleasure depends on offense, I recommended that the Holiday Bowl go back to inviting Big 12 teams, a conference in which defense is a mere suggestion. To his credit, he got back to me immediately and said he was put off by the interminable replay delays and the general pall put over the game by "the scandal". I did not like the dismissive article but he does get points for a prompt and cordial response.

I thought very Reusse type view of the game. Pointed out it was one of the lowest scoring games in the 35 years of the Holiday Bowl among other negative spews. I thought I was reading the Tribune.

I thought very Reusse type view of the game. Pointed out it was one of the lowest scoring games in the 35 years of the Holiday Bowl among other negative spews. I thought I was reading the Tribune.

Except for the last 40 seconds which took 40 minutes to play because of the penalties, replays, etc. I thought the game was enjoyable.

Shootouts are great and all but that was never going to happen in a game involving the Gophers. We just aren't built that way. We are built to play defense, special teams and when we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot with false starts, run the ball, play action pass and stay ahead of the chains.

I had fun, and we won. Claeys completely out coached Leach. Brilliant defensive game plan, and even readjusted to Leach's adjustments. Those of you at home couldn't clearly see how our DBs smothered WSU's receivers. Outstanding.

From a Gopher fan.
Agree about the stadium and concessions. OK, I'm a cheap bastard, but paying $6 for a 20 oz. coke and $9 for a hot dog?? I know its stadium prices in California, but I'll pass on that. The after game dinner I had in Old Town was good though. Also, as good as our D played, the WSU offense had an off night. Their passing game's timing was not at all sharp. Go Gophers!

I've seen this before. LOL. Yeah, "we prepared for the 1-1-1-4-4. We weren't confused by it." Okey Dokey.

I would actually tend to agree with his assessment. Other than the occasional blitz we basically rushed 3-4 and played coverage. Nothing was too special about what we did...we didn't confuse them with stunts or exotic coverages.

This is not trying to discredit the coaching staff, in fact it is a compliment...the defensive coaches ran a fairly simple scheme and just mixed things by giving different fronts...the reason for the win wasn't because of some mind-boggling scheme...it was due to great execution and discipline. Which to me is even more impressive of a coaching job. They had the defense ready to just play sound football at a much higher level than Wazzu was. Wazzu never out executed them except for the last drive when MN was in prevent.

WSU would've never got that last TD had they called an obvious holding call on the swing pass to the RB that went for about 40 yards. The officials made a mockery of the game. The Gophers would've had about 7-8 sacks if they had called holding on the WSU offensive line.

WSU would've never got that last TD had they called an obvious holding call on the swing pass to the RB that went for about 40 yards. The officials made a mockery of the game. The Gophers would've had about 7-8 sacks if they had called holding on the WSU offensive line.
Yup, Ayinde was getting held for 20 yards on that play. Brutal officiating start to finish.

I would actually tend to agree with his assessment. Other than the occasional blitz <b>we basically rushed 3-4 and played coverage. </b>Nothing was too special about what we did...we didn't confuse them with stunts or exotic coverages.

Kinda like saying all someone did on offense was run and pass. The personnel packages, coverage schemes, formations, etc. were all unique and clearly confused WSU. Of course Nothing works without execution, but as Glenn Mason said today, "what MN did was very unconventional". I'm not a defensive mastermind, but this is how I saw it.

The Holiday Bowl always has "San Diego" in the end zones painted in each team's colors. Not sure if it's related to the Chargers, but they've always done it that way.

Kinda like saying all someone did on offense was run and pass. The personnel packages, coverage schemes, formations, etc. were all unique and clearly confused WSU. Of course Nothing works without execution, but as Glenn Mason said today, "what MN did was very unconventional". I'm not a defensive mastermind, but this is how I saw it.

We mixed fronts, but weren't getting to the quarterback fast on most plays. They were mostly coverage sacks. WHich tells me it was mostly execution. nobody got open.

It is not at all like saying all someone did was run and pass.

That field was in horrible condition. They covered the grass on the sidelines with a tarp because it was so muddy. One of the endzones had almost like baseball dirt over the corner instead of grass. The whole stadium smelled like a swamp.

I did get to high five Larry Culpepper and see a guy get tasered so that was cool.

That field was in horrible condition. They covered the grass on the sidelines with a tarp because it was so muddy. One of the endzones had almost like baseball dirt over the corner instead of grass. The whole stadium smelled like a swamp.

I did get to high five Larry Culpepper and see a guy get tasered so that was cool.

Basically the entire band got to see the guy get tasered. There's a video on Twitter somewhere. It was kinda funny, I wonder what he did. Too bad it was one of our fans and not a WSU fan.

Basically the entire band got to see the guy get tasered. There's a video on Twitter somewhere. It was kinda funny, I wonder what he did. Too bad it was one of our fans and not a WSU fan.
I'd forgotten about the dude getting tasered. The look on his face was priceless.

If you have the link to the video, I'd love to see it again.

I will also add at the tailgate Coyle sat outside of it talking to his girls the entire time until he was forced to come up and speak. This guy has no interest in engaging with the fans, it's alarming.

I will also add at the tailgate Coyle sat outside of it talking to his girls the entire time until he was forced to come up and speak. This guy has no interest in engaging with the fans, it's alarming.

If he was at the Alumni/ Sotasocial I didn't see him, and we stayed for over an hour

I saw him at the very tail end of the 'Sotasocial. Tremendous job at avoiding eye contact with 500 people.

Yeah, I know. It was in perfect position. Someone in the band was walking down the stairs right when the cop pulled the taser and darted out of the way.

I had turned my head back to look at the scoreboard and saw a guy wrestling 2 cops and told everyone around me to look. Then he punched one of the cops and that's when the taser came out. Not sure what he did to make the cops come after him in the first place but he got tasered because he punched a cop.

Top Bottom