Observations from last night

Juicer

Reaction score
First game of the season attended last night. Had the opportunity to sit 2 rows behind the bench, and spent most of the night with one eye on the game, and the other eye on the interactions between players and coaches, as well as body language. Below are my observations.

Premise is that I am a HUGE Tubby fan. However, there wasn't much to be proud of last night for anyone, players or coaches.

- Westbrook: Bitched and moaned at the refs, coaches and teammates all night long. Waved off Tubby incessantly and threw a little tantrum at halfcourt when Tubby pulled him after a stupid foul in the 2nd half. When he got to the bench, as soon as he got past Tubby he let loose a profanity-laced tirade that included comments like "leave me in the game" and other things not meant for even chat room print. This guy is a real problem, and when things aren't going well I can tell you from firsthand experience playing college basketball that a single guy can bring you down. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the primary source of most of the chemistry issues.

- Carter and Williams: These were the 2 guys who consistently were engaged, cheering, and seemed to be ready to play off the bench. Carter was good last night and got hosed a couple of times. Williams was ready to go when called upon, kept his mouth shut the entire game, didn't show negative body language, and was the first (or second to Carter) guy off the bench to congratulate teammates. I wish both of these guys could have played more, and hope they play extensively the rest of the year.

- PG play: Neither Joseph nor Cobbs is ready at this point. I wish we could play Devoe off the ball and let him shoot 15-17 footers all day. Cobbs' body language and attitude were not good last night, he was not ready to be out there (mentally). We miss Nolen very, very badly. I am already looking forward to next year having Nolen and (hopefully) C. Joseph playing the 1, with Devoe and Blake on the wings shooting/scoring. Devoe's body language was bad all game. He didn't seem to be ready to play either, and looked like he really didn't want to be running the offense. In other games I have seen, he has been more of a team leader and catalyst; I saw none of this last night.

Tubby: Looked tired. Not sure how else to describe it. He was encouraging to his players when they did the right thing, but there were some horrible calls in the 2nd half at critical junctures, and Tubby didn't really look like he cared much. I know he does, but he just looked worn down. I would be too if I had to deal with Westbrook for 3 years, that guy is unbearable. In game adjustments were not there either; Michigan ran ball screens for Harris on like 12 consecutive plays down the stretch, and we didn't switch, double, make him pass, etc. He just killed us when he got to the free throw line and closer, but there was no adjustment.

Overall athleticism: I went with a buddy of mine who doesn't know much hoops, but he kept saying "they're just faster than we are". Recognizing that Harris and Sims are more athletic than most in the league, we literally had no one who was even in the same stratosphere with those guys, at least last night. It was so frustrating to watch them ball screen for Harris and see him just absolutely tear us up.

Good close up info. Thanks. I guess I'm not really surprised by any of this. If LW's attitude is that bad it might be time for something more drastic. What Tubby is doing now isn't working.

Below are my observations.

With all due respect, Juicer, you may not belong posting on this board. That may be the most coherent, well thought out, observant, cohesive post I've ever seen in this forum.

I think I might start a Facebook "Bench Westbrook for the rest of his career" fan club........

juicer

First game of the season attended last night. Had the opportunity to sit 2 rows behind the bench, and spent most of the night with one eye on the game, and the other eye on the interactions between players and coaches, as well as body language. Below are my observations.

Premise is that I am a HUGE Tubby fan. However, there wasn't much to be proud of last night for anyone, players or coaches.

- Westbrook: Bitched and moaned at the refs, coaches and teammates all night long. Waved off Tubby incessantly and threw a little tantrum at halfcourt when Tubby pulled him after a stupid foul in the 2nd half. When he got to the bench, as soon as he got past Tubby he let loose a profanity-laced tirade that included comments like "leave me in the game" and other things not meant for even chat room print. This guy is a real problem, and when things aren't going well I can tell you from firsthand experience playing college basketball that a single guy can bring you down. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the primary source of most of the chemistry issues.

- Carter and Williams: These were the 2 guys who consistently were engaged, cheering, and seemed to be ready to play off the bench. Carter was good last night and got hosed a couple of times. Williams was ready to go when called upon, kept his mouth shut the entire game, didn't show negative body language, and was the first (or second to Carter) guy off the bench to congratulate teammates. I wish both of these guys could have played more, and hope they play extensively the rest of the year.

- PG play: Neither Joseph nor Cobbs is ready at this point. I wish we could play Devoe off the ball and let him shoot 15-17 footers all day. Cobbs' body language and attitude were not good last night, he was not ready to be out there (mentally). We miss Nolen very, very badly. I am already looking forward to next year having Nolen and (hopefully) C. Joseph playing the 1, with Devoe and Blake on the wings shooting/scoring. Devoe's body language was bad all game. He didn't seem to be ready to play either, and looked like he really didn't want to be running the offense. In other games I have seen, he has been more of a team leader and catalyst; I saw none of this last night.

Tubby: Looked tired. Not sure how else to describe it. He was encouraging to his players when they did the right thing, but there were some horrible calls in the 2nd half at critical junctures, and Tubby didn't really look like he cared much. I know he does, but he just looked worn down. I would be too if I had to deal with Westbrook for 3 years, that guy is unbearable. In game adjustments were not there either; Michigan ran ball screens for Harris on like 12 consecutive plays down the stretch, and we didn't switch, double, make him pass, etc. He just killed us when he got to the free throw line and closer, but there was no adjustment.

Overall athleticism: I went with a buddy of mine who doesn't know much hoops, but he kept saying "they're just faster than we are". Recognizing that Harris and Sims are more athletic than most in the league, we literally had no one who was even in the same stratosphere with those guys, at least last night. It was so frustrating to watch them ball screen for Harris and see him just absolutely tear us up.

Excellent post. Thanks.

Good post

In addition to Westbrook's nonsense, I have to beleive that everything that happened this year HAS to be a huge distraction to the team. These kids are human beings that have feelings and friends, etc. I'm sure some are good friends with the sportcoat three and some have little time for them. Pure speculation, but examples of possible scenarios: Westbrook and Johnson have little time for Royce's antics, Rodney is a good friend of his. Joseph is ticked at Nolen because he now has to play out of position, others like Hoff have been through the battles and are friends with Nolen. I don't think it's as simple as "next man up", I think their is serious strife in the locker room, not to mention no PG, no PF's and Damien playing with a bum thumb.

great observations Juicer!

Follow-on question----what do you think Tubby can do about your observations this year? Also, long term--what do YOU think the solution is?

great observations Juicer!

Follow-on question----what do you think Tubby can do about your observations this year? Also, long term--what do YOU think the solution is?

Long term... LW graduates, Trevor starts at PF next year, and Corey Joseph plays big minutes as a true frosh.

#1 is a certainty, #2 is more likely than not, #3 is a biiig maybe.

If Westbrook was having a great game last night, would the reactions to his reaction to being taken out of the game be different? I suspect that they might be. "What a competitor, he doesn't want to come out of the game".

The Gophers are one of the more athletic teams in the league and are certainly more athletic than the Wolverines on the whole. Sims was a huge issue for the Gophers. What the Gophers lack is anyone capable of playing with power in the post on either end of the court.

If Westbrook was having a great game last night, would the reactions to his reaction to being taken out of the game be different? I suspect that they might be. "What a competitor, he doesn't want to come out of the game".

The Gophers are one of the more athletic teams in the league and are certainly more athletic than the Wolverines on the whole. Sims was a huge issue for the Gophers. What the Gophers lack is anyone capable of playing with power in the post on either end of the court.

Agree with your first part of the post, but not the 2nd...

Michigan is more athletic overall than the gophers, as is OSU, MSU, Purdue, Illinios, which puts the gophers in the middle. I think they are more athletic than Iowa, Northwestern, PSU, and Indiana, and pretty even with Wisky.

I soppose Westbrook still harbors childhood thoughts of being an NBA player. This is his last college year. Dreams die hard. I know how Tubby feels. If we need a shot made I'd want Lawrence to shoot it. But, I cringe whenever he puts the ball on the floor. I'm afraid he will go into that between the legs, crossover move and lose the ball again.

Laugh if you will but I honestly think his pants are to long and his legs are to short for that move.

Top Bottom