OBJ handing wads of cash to LSU players on the field after the National Championship (video)

I clearly don't understand NCAA rules and violations.

Such a terrible argument.

A professional junior league will never work when all the television contracts are locked up and brand power is locked up in the NCAA and their "free labor" proposition. You'd never start a business against someone that has a 100+year head start and has an obvious advantage of cheaper labor. That's just a stupid argument.

I don't think "paying players" is an answer either because I do believe that the accounting of the money being made on sports isn't "normal" and can't just be moved from one pocket to the other and paying players their "fair wages". I also don't think the wages these players are near anything people are talking about outside the top 10-15 athletes. Joe Burrow has marketability, I cannot name 10 other players in that game last night by name, number or face. I recognize the university.

That doesn't mean jack shit, though. It's still unfair to have their names, likeness and all the other stuff propped up on the television and tons of content and marketing done around their work and then prevent them from making any money period.

Just stop the nonsense and let the players get paid for whatever they can get paid and let them go to school wherever they want to. If they play NCAA football they need to go to class and get grades. The rest shouldn't matter to the NCAA. That way the NCAA can promote them as much as they want and the players can benefit from those promotions.

Your solution (?) will hugely benifit those teams that are in high market areas to the detriment of those in low market areas. In fact the so called "market" will be just the old "who is willing to pay the most". Nothing more, nothing less. The potential recruits will increasing go to where the instant money will seem to them to be the best and quickest, ie places like LSU. The talent rich schools will gain a huge and ever increasing advantage over those at the bottom of the pool. If you think the above picture is ugly, just wait. This is going to get really, really ugly.

I’d just like to know where this “pay the athletes” argument would put everyone. So you’re going to pay college football players how much? Is there a pay scale? Do walk on’s get paid? Do they get rid of scholarships? Because how do you justify a full ride to a 4 year school, and then a paycheck on top of that? Do athletes of every D1 sport get paid? Where does the money come from to pay all of these students? Does one school get to pay their students more than another school? You trust an 18 year old D1 athlete with thousands of dollars on top of the publicity they get in the media? I’m sure that would never get out of hand. This issue has way too many variables, many of which sound like horrible additions to the college football world.

Your solution (?) will hugely benifit those teams that are in high market areas to the detriment of those in low market areas. In fact the so called "market" will be just the old "who is willing to pay the most". Nothing more, nothing less. The potential recruits will increasing go to where the instant money will seem to them to be the best and quickest, ie places like LSU. The talent rich schools will gain a huge and ever increasing advantage over those at the bottom of the pool. If you think the above picture is ugly, just wait. This is going to get really, really ugly.
It’s not a solution.

You’re trying to protect our love for college football.
You can’t have what we have today and make it “fair” for everyone without revenue sharing and that’s not happening.

i think the NCAA is a sham. I love college football. But the “suspensions” and “rules” are dumb.

I’d just like to know where this “pay the athletes” argument would put everyone. So you’re going to pay college football players how much? Is there a pay scale? Do walk on’s get paid? Do they get rid of scholarships? Because how do you justify a full ride to a 4 year school, and then a paycheck on top of that? Do athletes of every D1 sport get paid? Where does the money come from to pay all of these students? Does one school get to pay their students more than another school? You trust an 18 year old D1 athlete with thousands of dollars on top of the publicity they get in the media? I’m sure that would never get out of hand. This issue has way too many variables, many of which sound like horrible additions to the college football world.
D1 athletes have been getting paid since 2015. not sure why this is not widely known.

TMZ article says LSU is claiming the cash was fake.

Such a terrible argument.

A professional junior league will never work when all the television contracts are locked up and brand power is locked up in the NCAA and their "free labor" proposition. You'd never start a business against someone that has a 100+year head start and has an obvious advantage of cheaper labor. That's just a stupid argument.

This is actually how every business has started ever. Including .... ... ... the NFL. If it were such a bad deal for the athletes someone would capitalize on the opportunity and sign all of the 4 and 5-star athletes to contracts that pay far more than a full ride.

The terrible argument is the one that presupposes D1 athletes are somehow getting screwed over, despite that: 1.) it continues to be the dream of tens of thousands to play for these teams, and 2.) most D1 athletic departments have to be subsidized by students, tax payers, donors (or all of the above).

The cash was 'fake', eh?

If so, there were no NCAA rules being violated. Instead, it was merely stupid. Moronic.

This I can almost believe...

This is actually how every business has started ever. Including .... ... ... the NFL. If it were such a bad deal for the athletes someone would capitalize on the opportunity and sign all of the 4 and 5-star athletes to contracts that pay far more than a full ride.

The terrible argument is the one that presupposes D1 athletes are somehow getting screwed over, despite that: 1.) it continues to be the dream of tens of thousands to play for these teams, and 2.) most D1 athletic departments have to be subsidized by students, tax payers, donors (or all of the above).
the nfl absolutely did not start in the same business environment as currently present.

There are athletes getting screwed over.

Not all athletes are getting screwed over.

eliminate the requirement of a scholarship and those athletic departments would be run quite differently and would unlikely to be carrying 80+players and 20+ coaches and support staff.

Sad state of college football that such a high percentage believed it was actual straight cash, homey.

not for the players it isn’t. When it happens, you can kiss traditional college football goodbye.

I mean I feel like "traditional college football" was kissed goodbye when it became a multi billion dollar industry, coaches became millionaires, classes were no longer a focal point, etc. If this is your argument...we'll let it die there.

Those TMZ videos are pretty sad. OBJ is a child. Not sure if he’s drunk or high but when he smacked the cop... I’d be embarrassed if I were an LSU fan. This is the image of the program after winning a championship...wow.

If you’re someone who is truly outraged by “how much money the NCAA makes” and how players don’t get compensated enough, why would you waste your time being an ass and just start a professional junior league already?
XFL?

I mean I feel like "traditional college football" was kissed goodbye when it became a multi billion dollar industry, coaches became millionaires, classes were no longer a focal point, etc. If this is your argument...we'll let it die there.
My only real issue is that coaches make what they do. Other than that I like where things are at. Classes are still a focal point in some programs, AKA here in Minnesota under Fleck. He cares about all facets of the student athlete’s life. Another huge reason I really like Fleck. Do you support paying students? If so, how much? And what does that situation look like in your eyes?

Anyone handing out cash to college players after a championship game should be banned for life from attending the college events. It doesn’t matter whether they are black, white, red, yellow, brown, rich, poor, etc,etc. Can you imagine a white business man from Baton Rouge handing out cash in public view. He would have been led away in hand cuffs.

College FB is am amateur sport and needs to stay that way.

Top Bottom