O-Line vs. Auburn

PitinoFan

Banned
Reaction score
Watch the play in the tweet (from the Auburn game) and examine the photo (a different play). I’m not an OL blocking scheme expert. How were they able to get Auburn’s entire DL walled off to one side like that? These both look like RPO plays. Did we surprise them with something they hadn’t seen on film? It’s a thing of beauty.

I’m not able to post the Auburn highlight without that Iowa highlight on there, but maybe you’ll enjoy that one too.

NlaZaXB.jpg

The DL shifted to the side where the run would go....and frankly by that point in the game they were gassed.

The OL is actually happy to let them shift to that side and drive up the field towards the runner. If it was a real running play they wouldn't let them do that so to some extent the OL and DL all are pulling in the same direction.

The DL shifted to the side where the run would go....and frankly by that point in the game they were gassed.

The OL is actually happy to let them shift to that side and drive up the field towards the runner. If it was a real running play they wouldn't let them do that so to some extent the OL and DL all are pulling in the same direction.

In the first play, that appears to be the case, but in the 2nd one, Mo was about to run straight ahead, through that gaping hole. I don’t actually know what play that photo is from, or whether Morgan handed it off. I got the photo from Twitter.

Watch the play in the tweet (from the Auburn game) and examine the photo (a different play). I’m not an OL blocking scheme expert. How were they able to get Auburn’s entire DL walled off to one side like that? These both look like RPO plays. Did we surprise them with something they hadn’t seen on film? It’s a thing of beauty.

I’m not able to post the Auburn highlight without that Iowa highlight on there, but maybe you’ll enjoy that one too.

NlaZaXB.jpg

In the hand off to Mo, we have seven blockers on the line. Note left side: TEs Kieft and BSF.

In the hand off to Mo, we have seven blockers on the line. Note left side: TEs Kieft and BSF.

Yeah, and Auburn had 7 in the box. I’m just trying to figure out why they were able to manhandle one of the best DL in the country, but couldn’t block Wisconsin or Iowa. Auburn is probably wondering the same thing.

Yeah, and Auburn had 7 in the box. I’m just trying to figure out why they were able to manhandle one of the best DL in the country, but couldn’t block Wisconsin or Iowa. Auburn is probably wondering the same thing.

I think Iowa and Wisconsin did more creative blitzing and stunts. Took some chances in order to confuse. Auburn seemed to think it could beat us straight up without taking chances in blitzes, etc. They were wrong,

Last edited:

I think Iowa and Wisconsin did more creative blitzing and stunts. Took some chances in order to confuse. Auburn seemed to think it could be us straight up without taking chances in blitzes, etc. They were wrong,

Good points.

Another thing...in that pass play from the tweet, notice how long it took for the two linebackers, the corner, and the safety to realize it wasn’t a run play...especially the LB. the ball was almost out of Morgan’s hand when he finally identified that it was a pass. This is what the Penn St defenders were saying after they hired Kirk C...that they couldn’t tell whether it was a run or pass until it was too late. They said they hadn’t seen an RPO like the Gophers run. I don’t know whether that’s true, but some of the Auburn players said similar things, including Derrick Brown.

Good points.

Another thing...in that pass play from the tweet, notice how long it took for the two linebackers, the corner, and the safety to realize it wasn’t a run play...especially the LB. the ball was almost out of Morgan’s hand when he finally identified that it was a pass. This is what the Penn St defenders were saying after they hired Kirk C...that they couldn’t tell whether it was a run or pass until it was too late. They said they hadn’t seen an RPO like the Gophers run. I don’t know whether that’s true, but some of the Auburn players said similar things, including Derrick Brown.

Kirk C doesn't handle the ball...Morgan is very good at RPO ball handling and throwing accurately.

We lost Falele early in WI game and didn't have a month to scheme a plan to go with without him.

The Auburn Defense obviously were expecting what they saw of the Gophers on film. They were surprised and stunned when they couldn't read the Gopher's RPO play in time until it was too late. They didn't expect the Gophers to use their TEs to catch passes.

Honestly I think there is truth in that we ran plays differently than they expected and ... Gus is really stubborn.

His defense just stuck with the game plan and didn't have answers and didn't adjust when we did new things.

His offense ... we gave them like 10 yard buffers on the WRs and other than one series they didn't use that against us. And even after that successful series they still didn't notice....

Last edited:

Honestly I think there is truth in that we ran plays differently than they expected and ... Gus is really stubborn.

His defense just stuck with the game plan and didn't have answers and didn't adjust when we did new things.

His offense ... we gave them like 10 yard buffers on the WRs and other than one series they didn't use that against us. And even after that series they still didn't notice.
Gus Malzahn sounds a lot like Mike Zimmer.

You have to think that there will be more OLs and TEs interested in playing for the Gophers after the Auburn game.

His offense ... we gave them like 10 yard buffers on the WRs and other than one series they didn't use that against us. And even after that successful series they still didn't notice....
That is what the Auburn fans said too. Same with Lloyd Carr in THE 2003 game. He refused to alter the offensive game plan through the first half into the 3rd Quarter and then relented on throwing screens. The U defense had no answer. If he'd been stubborn a little longer we might have won that one.

That is what the Auburn fans said too. Same with Lloyd Carr in THE 2003 game. He refused to alter the offensive game plan through the first half into the 3rd Quarter and then relented on throwing screens. The U defense had no answer. If he'd been stubborn a little longer we might have won that one.

Yeah once they ran that hurry up on offense I thought "well man we might have a game here ..." but the defense was gassed so I doubted it but I thought maybe they finally noticed that massive gap between the DBs and WRs.

Then ... nope...

Granted by that time any hurry up they really couldn't run much more hurry up because their defense was tired, but man the passes were working, still can do that!

Even the TV announcers saw it ... and we know what folks around here think of them!

Kirk C doesn't handle the ball...Morgan is very good at RPO ball handling and throwing accurately.

This is the point! Morgan might not be 6’4”, 230 lbs and a threat to run in every play, but he is a master of QB mechanics and deception. It is how well Morgan executes that makes our RPO offense so lethal. We don’t use weird sets or motion to confuse LBs. We don’t need to, because LBs can’t figure out (in time) what Morgan is going to do. And once Morgan decides what he is going to do, he is decisive. No dithering while the defense recovers. We are really lucky to have a decisive QB with an accurate arm who is so well matched to what our RPO offense requires of a QB.

We lost Falele early in WI game and didn't have a month to scheme a plan to go with without him.

The Faalele injury was huge in the Wisconsin game. And as you said, having that month to get ready for a game without him really helped the O-Line against Auburn. Plus Wisconsin relies heavily on the LBs to generate pass rush whereas Auburn uses their front 4 so very different looks for the offense to deal with.

Our problem against Iowa was that we didn't finish drives with TDs and they did early. That game was there for that taking, we just didn't execute well enough on the road to get the win. Epenesa played out of his mind as well and showed the superstar ability that is going to make him a really high draft pick in a couple of months.

Here’s another one to add to this thread. The blocking scheme looks similar to the plays in the OP, and the Auburn defense was just as badly fooled. They did a great job of selling this as a running play. They blocked it like it was a running play. Watch the linebackers. Watch the corner let CAB go, and stand there with his thumb up his ass. TJ, RB and CAB were all single covered. That’s terrible defense against those receivers and that QB.

Recently fired up the DVR for a friend without cable so he could finally see the game. The 4th quarter was just fantastic with this play, Winfield crushing a 3rd down conversion opportunity for Nix, and then the final 8-minute-plus drive to seal the game.

I will never get tired of seeing this 15 minutes of football again and again.

Recently fired up the DVR for a friend without cable so he could finally see the game. The 4th quarter was just fantastic with this play, Winfield crushing a 3rd down conversion opportunity for Nix, and then the final 8-minute-plus drive to seal the game.

I will never get tired of seeing this 15 minutes of football again and again.
Just about exactly how you draw up the perfect finish on paper, but never do. Except they did.

Top Bottom