NY Times says one Mich St. player being paid $750,000 a year by boosters

@Pompous Elitist

Nothing you said invalidates the correct statements that I said.

Kavanaugh was allowed to enter his legal, yes his, opinion because SCOTUS reviewed the Alston case appeal. If that lawsuit doesn't happen, there is no SCOTUS review, and thus no Kavanaugh legal opinion entered.

The NCAA changed its NIL rules because Kavanaugh's legal opinion all but begged for new lawsuits to challenge those rules.

Direct causation. No matter how you try to waive your hands.

The NCAA had rules prohibiting NIL.
Then Alston happened.
Then those rules disappeared.

As to your second paragraph challenges/sentiment, I largely agree. Make athletic departments pay athletes directly, with athletes having collective bargaining, and end their tax-exempt status. Force the schools to register their athletic depts as separate legal entities, if that makes it easier.

That’s not the implication of the article in how the tax reduction is working. I’m not a big money donor nor own my own business, but the article is making it sound like some of these collectives are finding work arounds to make it tax deductible for big money donors (read the section on the PSU yacht club party)
Id like to read the article but have not seen a link and am too lazy to search the Google

once a player is on campus and participating in sports, that's one thing. then they are at least theoretically marketing their Name, Image or Likeness.

but High school students being offered large sums of money before they have committed to a school or begun classes - that is an entirely different matter. If that somehow wound up before the Supreme Court, I don't see any way that falls under Alston or O'Bannon as precedent.

the question is how to get it before the court. I would still like to see Congress adopt national NIL legislation. then, if someone wanted to challenge that legislation, it would open up a way for the Court to get involved.
Zero chance Congress will ever touch it. Unless they find a way to connect NIL with their own money laundering or reelection chances.

@Pompous Elitist

Kavanaugh was allowed to enter his legal, yes his, opinion because SCOTUS reviewed the Alston case appeal. If that lawsuit doesn't happen, there is no SCOTUS review, and thus no Kavanaugh legal opinion entered.

The NCAA changed its NIL rules because Kavanaugh's legal opinion all but begged for new lawsuits to challenge those rules.

Then Alston happened.

As to your second paragraph challenges/sentiment, I largely agree. Make athletic departments pay athletes directly, with athletes having collective bargaining, and end their tax-exempt status. Force the schools to register their athletic depts as separate legal entities, if that makes it easier.
The SMU deal was just an early version of NIL. No it's apparently ok. SMU should sue the NCAA over the death penalty and the monetary damage it caused them.

@WHB Brewer I posted some tidbits from that article in the Fleck is fired up on KFAN thread, if you want it check it out there.

The IRS has already ruled that contributions to NIL collectives are not tax deductible. And even if they were, nobody is using it to "balance their profits and reduce their tax hit." If I want to reduce my taxable income by $10,000 or whatever the number is, there are a lot better ways to do so than giving it away to a college athlete. If I give $10,000 to a NIL Collective, even if tax deductible, I'm out $10,000. If I keep it for myself, I pay $3500 in tax and still have $6500 in my pocket. If I really wanted to "balance my profit and reduce my tax hit" I'd invest that amount into my business where I get a tax benefit and the actual use of my money. But that's all moot since it is not deductible. People contributing to NIL Collectives are simply doing it because they are a sycophant for their favorite college team.
Winning athletic programs at their alma mater are important to a lot of folks in business. Everyone wants to be associated with a winner. Anyone with $10K to donate probably doesn't NEED the money. The ones receiving the NIL money likely are racking up big tax obligations unless they can get away with some sort of gift exemptions.

@Pompous Elitist

Then Alston happened.

Hopefully at this point we can all agree:

1. There is no Supreme Court decision on NIL, or any decision affecting rules, laws, or regulations limiting it.
2. Kavanaugh went off on a bender jumping to a preferred future athletes as employees, collective bargaining, loss of tax exempt status in just a few short paragraphs.
3. He indicated that was his opinion and interpretation of law.
4. NIL was kicked off by state legislatures in 7 states and spread like an airborne respiratory virus.
5. The NCAA stood down.

Kavanaugh's opinion is a (not necessarily solely) direct causation of the NCAA removing most restrictions on student-athlete NIL.

State laws on NIL were only reactionary, as schools in various states sounded the alarm that their state's laws might place them at a disadvantage legally compared to their rivals/peers.

Trying to pretend that it would've happened exactly the same without the Alston case is trolling. I have no idea what your angle is or what you're trying to gain with the alternate history.

Last edited:

Oh. Ok. But typically, when quoting someone else, you use quotation marks, and generally you put the quoted stuff in italics so people can tell the difference. My mistake on that part.

Nothing illegal about that. Granted, it's starting to ruin college football, but it's still legal.

Glad they both get the opportunity to earn. Fairness. Does Opendorse mention all the money that female gymnast for LSU made? How many men earned that amount?

It's not a sham.
It is a sham. It’s not NIL, which is what the court rules on. It’s turned into pay for play. Caleb Williams is doing his own NIL, as is Caitlin Clark - that was the intent, to capitalize on your NIL. The vast majority of this is totally absent NIL activity.

Top Bottom