NY Times: How Arizona State Reinvented Free-Throw Distraction

mcal24

Reaction score
"A shark attack. The return of Elvis. Twerking farm animals. A shirtless guitarist. Kissing unicorns. An old lady yelling at you to get off her lawn. Distracted yet? So, too, are college basketball players, who have tried — and often failed — to overcome the creative attempts of students at Arizona State to destroy the focus of free-throw shooters.

Of course, student sections that try to throw opponents off their game have been around for decades. But Arizona State’s Curtain of Distraction has taken those attempts to a new level. Just as a visiting player is about to shoot a free throw, two students pull apart two big black curtains to reveal a new five-second act in a continuing theater of the absurd.

The most striking aspect of the routine, though, isn’t any of the bizarre characters. It’s the result. A statistical analysis by The Upshot — with an assist from Nick Wan, who runs the True Brain blog — suggests that the Curtain really works.

It appears to give Arizona State an additional one- to two-point advantage per home game, beyond the normal homecourt advantage. The Curtain may even have played the pivotal role in the Sun Devils’ recent upset of their state rivals, the Arizona Wildcats."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/14/u...ee-throw-distraction.html?_r=1&abt=0002&abg=1

We need a law to outlaw distractions during free throws. :cool02:

awesome. wanna see that stats on those nba jerseys tho.

also, serious question, because i am in insane person. do people really believe that complete silence helps the home teams free throw shooting? I always thought it would make someone more nervous. I seem to remember a student section that sort of adopted a soft applause while their team shot and thought that made a lot of sense as like white noise.

sorry this is like my fifth cup of coffee.

awesome. wanna see that stats on those nba jerseys tho.

also, serious question, because i am in insane person. do people really believe that complete silence helps the home teams free throw shooting? I always thought it would make someone more nervous. I seem to remember a student section that sort of adopted a soft applause while their team shot and thought that made a lot of sense as like white noise.

sorry this is like my fifth cup of coffee.

I probably never played in front of more than 50 people, but I hated dead silence when shooting free throws. That's when I would start to think about the shot.

And I was never a Division 1 athlete...

Makes sense. Erodes focus of player taking shot. This will take off for a while and then the curtains will be banned.

Far more imaginative than what we see elsewhere. If the Cameron "Crazies" did this it would he huge news.

Nonsense. Everyone knows the dookies invented and are the best at everything related to student cheering/participation.

I can remember playing sports and never ever being able to hear the crowd either way....sort of zoned in and am not in tune if they are loud or quiet. I have had this same conversation with other people who have said the same thing. Now someone jumping out from a curtain and dancing around in a strange costume is a whole different level.

I can remember playing sports and never ever being able to hear the crowd either way....sort of zoned in and am not in tune if they are loud or quiet. I have had this same conversation with other people who have said the same thing. Now someone jumping out from a curtain and dancing around in a strange costume is a whole different level.

We need everyone to show up at the Barn against Wisconsin wearing a chicken costume.

Top Bottom