Now Bowl for Decker... or combines for that matter

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Decker's foot injury is sounding more serious. Now he for sure will have the surgery and the recovery could be up to 6 MONTHS (well, according to Sid anyway). His draft position just took a serious hit. Selfishly I really feel sorry I won't be able to watch him in a Gopher uniform again but mostly I am bummed about what a major hit this must be to him and his career.

That's too bad. Hopefully what he has done throughout his career here will be enough to show NFL GMs that he's worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If its a full 6 months then you're right, he's probably screwed since he won't be able to go for the U's pro day or the combine. Hopefully that is just Sid and its only a couple months.

Decker's foot injury is sounding more serious. Now he for sure will have the surgery and the recovery could be up to 6 MONTHS (well, according to Sid anyway). His draft position just took a serious hit. Selfishly I really feel sorry I won't be able to watch him in a Gopher uniform again but mostly I am bummed about what a major hit this must be to him and his career.

Me too, but my thought is that if it something that he can recover from without it hindering future performance that he'll be ok in the end. Slow recovery will cost him the money that being drafted higher would offer, but if he fully recovers he'll still be a stud in the NFL and will be ok long term.

I just want to see him make the kind of plays on Sundays that we've all loved seeing on Saturdays.

Personally, I think it'll cause him to slide a little in the NFL draft, but I'd still peg him as a 3rd round guy.

From a Gopher perspective, this is a real drag not just for the football team, but also for the baseball team, which initially thought they would have Decker back this spring to help them out. A downer for the boys of spring as well.

He'll probably slide in the draft which won't help with the money he would sign for, but other than that it could be a good thing. Guys that get drafted lower than they think they should generally have that "I"m going to show them" attitude which can be a good thing. I think he's proven he can play and should play in the NFL for some time.

He did just get that scholarship award for grad school, if he is out that long he could take some classes to pass the time.

And now thinking out loud. Eric, if you or anyone you know reads this, I am a graduate student. That is a lot of money you got for school. I think you should use it but if not, give it to me. Sincerely Ryan

I wonder if this will make him reconsider baseball...a heckuva lot less wear and tear on the body and the prospect of a longer career.

As much as I think he should be a higher draft pick, I think that he was going to be a 3rd rounder anyways. This injury makes him a 6th or 7th rounder, I think. NFL scouts are always high on measurables and his speed is what would have knocked him down to a 3ish rounder. Now, with lack of speed + injury history + current injury and rehab = a lower draft status. As much as it would stink for him to not get drafted, it may be better for him not to, just so he can pick a team and system that would be a better system for his skillset. I want to say Ben Utect went this route. Same with Gary Russell.

Terrible thing to happen to the one bright spot on our offense this season. I really hope he's able to return to a high level and play for someone in the NFL for a long time.

He is a future S.O.D.....hell, the Vikings should take him if he drops anywhere past 5th round.

That's too bad. Eric is one of my favorite Gophers ever. Holding onto the ball for a TD after the hit he took against California is the play of the year. On top of everything, he's a class act, and I'm very impressed with the way he represents the University. If he can avoid injuries, there's no doubt he's going to have a good NFL career regardless of what happens in the draft.

Top Bottom