November rule for game starting times

Donovan

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm about to book my hotel for Friday night before the Nebraska game November 17th. In the back of my mind I remember a comment that the Big Ten doesn't schedule night games in November, so the plan is to drive home right after the game. Just to make sure I did a Google search, and only could find this link from 2010, unless the rules have changed in the last couple of years, apparently night games can happen, but are unlikely. I'm guessing it would only happen if a network wants our game for prime time TV. If true, I'm hoping it is a night game because that would mean our record would be good enough late in the year to draw big interest for the game!

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/12592/november-night-games-not-impossible-in-bt

It does say this at the bottom of the article: The Big Ten hasn't hosted a November night game since Iowa visited Minnesota in 2008

Anybody remember a night game in November in 2010 or 2011?

The no Night games in November is still a Big ten Rule. they never got rid of that rule. So all Big Ten conference games that are played in November will be played in the afternoon. Also all night games in the Big Ten are set before the season start anyway.

The basis for the "no night games" in November is weather. I don't think it is a written rule, but a guideline that the league follows. With weather being the basis for the guideline, the climate-controlled Metrodome was always allowed to host night games in November (i.e. 2008 IA game).

I think you're safe to figure that the MN-NEB game will be an 11am or 2:30pm start. No way it is a night game.

The basis for the "no night games" in November is weather. I don't think it is a written rule, but a guideline that the league follows. With weather being the basis for the guideline, the climate-controlled Metrodome was always allowed to host night games in November (i.e. 2008 IA game).

I think you're safe to figure that the MN-NEB game will be an 11am or 2:30pm start. No way it is a night game.

Agree. I think it was a statement by Delaney more than a formal rule, but it obviously hasn't been broken since the statement was made. I'm sure if ESPN put enough pressure on the B1G they would allow a prime time nationally televised matchup, but that ain't gonna be MN at NE unless something bizarre happens.

Top Bottom