Notre Dame to ACC

station19

Reaction score
For all sports excluding football. Will play 5 football games per year against ACC opponents.

According to sources on Mike and Mike. Haven't found link yet.

Edit: Source = Brent McMurphy

Good on the basketball side. The Big East is way too big now.

For all sports excluding football. Will play 5 games per year against ACC opponents.

Oops. Make that will play 5 football games per year against ACC opponents.

Buddies of mine that work in college athletics have been telling me this for years. I guess that I was always holding out hope that they would come join the B1G based on geography. This does make a lot of sense though because of the sports that they play.

For all sports excluding football. Will play 5 football games per year against ACC opponents.

MEH. Doesn't surprise me that Notre Dame would do this.

I dislike N.D. enough to never want them to join the BIG, but I get why it would make sense.

Good deal for Notre Dame.

I'm glad the Big Ten would never give in to something like this.

hmmm...someone at ND is shaking the tree. this ain't over.

Notre Dame Schedule

5 vs ACC (assuming BC will be 1 every year)
2 vs B1G (MSU & Purdue)
2 vs Pac 12 (USC & Stanford)
3 vs Service Academies

I guess unless Michigan St. comes off the schedule, Michigan will be off the Irish schedule for a very long time.

Good on the basketball side. The Big East is way too big now.

The ACC is beginning to look like the Big East with Pitt, Syracuse and now ND leaving. Thats now 15 ACC BB teams, compared to 15 or16 Big East BB starting in 2013.

I'm glad the Big Ten would never give in to something like this.

Exactly. One of the guys on The Dan Patrick Show asked how Big Ten fans must be feeling this morning, implying that Notre Dame stiffed the B10 to take a similar deal with the ACC. I'm ecstatic our conference told Notre Dame to stick it when they wouldn't join in football.

Notre Dame Schedule

5 vs ACC (assuming BC will be 1 every year)
2 vs B1G (MSU & Purdue)
2 vs Pac 12 (USC & Stanford)
3 vs Service Academies

I guess unless Michigan St. comes off the schedule, Michigan will be off the Irish schedule for a very long time.

Thus far they've said they only care about keeping Navy every season. The other 2 service academies aren't true "rivals" with them.

Exactly. One of the guys on The Dan Patrick Show asked how Big Ten fans must be feeling this morning, implying that Notre Dame stiffed the B10 to take a similar deal with the ACC. I'm ecstatic our conference told Notre Dame to stick it when they wouldn't join in football.

This. The primary reason for adding ND to the B1G would be the TV money. If they don't join for FB that it's a moot point. Very glad Delany and Co. didn't take the weaker deal that the ACC did.

Notre Dame Schedule

Notre Dame and MSU are taking a 2-year break in 2014 and 2015. Then they start up again in 2016, and then they're taking another 2-year break later (not sure of the exact years). I know that Sparty has upcoming series lined up with Oregon, Alabama, Boise State and I think Miami-Florida (?), so that probably has something to do with it.

ACC Lacrosse is getting a nice addition in Syracuse and Notre Dame.......

Thats now 15 ACC BB teams, compared to 15 or16 Big East BB starting in 2013.

It's so damn hard to keep up with all of this realignment. But aren't there 18 current Big East BB teams, thus 17 if/when Notre Dame leaves?

Following up on my previous thought, isn't it (beginning in 2013):

1. UConn
2. Georgetown
3. Providence
4. St. John's
5. Seton Hall
6. Villanova
7. Rutgers
8. Temple
9. Notre Dame
10. Cincinnati
11. DePaul
12. Louisville
13. Marquette
14. South Florida
15. Houston
16. SMU
17. UCF
18. Memphis

It's pretty bad when it's this much work just to think of who is in a conference.

It's so damn hard to keep up with all of this realignment. But aren't there 18 current Big East BB teams, thus 17 if/when Notre Dame leaves?

They have 15 in 2012-2013:

Cincinnati
Connecticut
DePaul
Georgetown
Louisville
Marquette
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Providence
Rutgers
Seton Hall
St. John's
Syracuse
USF
Villanova

Take away Syracuse, Pitt, and ND you're down to 12 - add UCF, Houston, Memphis and SMU and Temple and you're up to 17 basketball members when ND leaves.

Edit: Forgot Temple as they're joining as a full member in 2013. Football only in 2012 for the Owls.

And then how about this powerhouse football lineup:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Rutgers
Temple
USF
UCF
Houston
SMU
Memphis
Boise State
San Diego State
Navy (2015)

Totally gay. Either you join a conference or you don't. Glad the Big 10 doesn't deal with that BS.

Posted this on the basketball board as well:

I hope we don't ever have more than 12 teams. These super-conferences suck. 12 is perfect for football and basketball in my opinion.

So who else is the ACC going to add for all non-football sports to even things out? Villanova?

Meh. Glad they didn't join the Big 10 if it was going to be everything except football. If joining the ACC helps ND get into the recruiting grounds of the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, etc..makes perfect sense then.

I didn't want NotraDamus in the Big 10 to begin with... They are too pompous, arrogant, cliquey, for us common folk.

Perfect since Indiana is on the Atlantic coast...just like boise is out east.

I didn't want NotraDamus in the Big 10 to begin with... They are too pompous, arrogant, cliquey, for us common folk.

I too never wanted those f'ing lil' elves in our sacred B1G conference. Although Delany blew it when he didn't create an E/W conference alignment, he did right on blowing off ND.

I would have been fine with adding them, but again, it's all or nothing. Would have been a nice fit in all sports including hockey. Seems like a loss for them.

Oh well, I will lose no sleep over it.

I would have been fine with adding them, but again, it's all or nothing. Would have been a nice fit in all sports including hockey. Seems like a loss for them.

Oh well, I will lose no sleep over it.

Agree other than the loss for them. I'm guessing they make more off Notre Dame Saturday than they would make between the difference of the BTN and what they will make from televising the other sports with the ACC.

For the B1G it really wouldn't make a lot of sense if it didn't include football. Would they bring in an additional $X million (I can't remember how much each school makes off BTN) without football? No way, especially since they are in a state that already has BTN. Rutgers would probably make more sense just to get the NJ market.

Better start the process to kick out Northwestern then. :)

Top Bottom