Notre Dame leading for Henderson?

gopherguy06

Reaction score
From Shooter:
Notre Dame appears to be in the lead in the recruitment of Cretin-Derham Hall lineman Seantrel Henderson, but Southern California is planning an overwhelming push soon.

Where does he get this stuff?

Not totally surprising if true.

After all, Notre Dame is a catholic school, Cretin Derham-Hall is a catholic school and they are probably pitching the whole "let's be catholic together" shtick. It's worked in the past, but I have a feeling that USC will jump into the mix and the Gophers will be right there pretty much throughout as well...

Shooter is less reliable than sid. I'm surprised he didn't start the sentence with his pattented "a little birdie told me..."

Now Notre Dame may be a good suitor for another CDH football star, but don't read too deeply into Shooter

Henderson

If he makes an official visit here, should anyone other than Carufel show him around and talk to him?

CDH has Carfuel here, along with Nance and Alt is coming here. Minnesota has a number of CDH players, as well as some of his friends who will be on the basketball team.

ND can use the Catholic School bit all they want. MN has the hometown team, new stadium, ability to play bball as well and a program on the up and up. I think we have as much to offer as a USC or ND.

CDH has Carfuel here, along with Nance and Alt is coming here. Minnesota has a number of CDH players, as well as some of his friends who will be on the basketball team.

ND can use the Catholic School bit all they want. MN has the hometown team, new stadium, ability to play bball as well and a program on the up and up. I think we have as much to offer as a USC or ND.

To be honest, I completely agree with you. But it's amazing how often the issue of religion seems to come up with recruiting at Notre Dame. I for one (being raised catholic myself) couldn't care less what religion students at Notre Dame or Cretin Derham Hall are and wouldn't use that as a primary recruiting tool. But according to Notre Dame people, this angle is apparently very important.

I don't get it, but it seems like a high selling point for them....

Does it matter.

Its recruiting it doesnt matter who is leading now and it doesnt really matter if there is a verbal on the table with any recruit. In the end its where the kid signs on the dotted line. That in the end is the only thing that matters.

I feel like we have difference between us that we can offer.

Like I said, he could play in a brand new stadium, be a hometown hero and help rebuild the hometown team, play with a lot of friends who are here or coming here, stay close to home, etc.

USC has national prominence and a high spotlight on it, plus other factors, but like I said, it is what sets us apart from USC and Notre Dame.

To be honest, I completely agree with you. But it's amazing how often the issue of religion seems to come up with recruiting at Notre Dame. I for one (being raised catholic myself) couldn't care less what religion students at Notre Dame or Cretin Derham Hall are and wouldn't use that as a primary recruiting tool. But according to Notre Dame people, this angle is apparently very important.

I don't get it, but it seems like a high selling point for them....

My guess is a lot of the kids at CDH aren't catholic. If you could go play a traditional powerhouse in football and have a private school education, many kids would go there. I don't think CDH requires you to be Catholic to attend, do they?

If you want to say we have "different things" to offer, then I would agree. That is quite obvious to anyone.

But to say we have "as much" to offer as USC is just plain silly.

Never underestimate the Catholic factor when Notre Dame is recruiting Cretin football players. It may not be important to the players themselves, but it has the potential to be VERY important to their mother or father. Many of us might ignore the wishes of our parents, but many more of us would not. Notre Dame will usually be in the mix for Cretin players.

I'm going to disagree. We may not offer as solid of a chance of winning a championship right away as a USC, but for offensive linemen, the story is a little bit different.

Take a look at Mel Kiper's current Top 25 Big Board that was updated today. The top OL and #4 OVERALL player on it is Jason Smith from Baylor University. BAYLOR. Not exactly the prize team of the Big 12. What does matter is the work ethic a player has, the coaching staff that surrounds him, and what level of competition the player is facing. With the hiring of Tim Davis, a former OL coach for both USC and for the NFL's Miami Dolphins, I feel that the Gophers can offer Seantrel a wonderful education on how to be a Offensive Linemen for the next 20 years of his life if he so chooses.

It is my belief that no matter where Seantrel goes, as long as it is a somewhat major University where he can be seen, he will succeed. Because of all of the advantages that the Gophers can offer him that other schools cannot (Friends, family, a new stadium, a program on the rise, etc.) I feel that Gophers could pull away with the top recruit of these sweepstakes.

Ill keep my fingers crossed anyway.

The DOC

I think it is way to early to be concerned who is top on the list. When we hit late October/early November, then it is time to start being concerned. He may be wanting to see how MN has improved and how the teams do. If ND is in the lead, will they have another season like last season, or will they show improvement?

CDH is a feeder school for ND and the attraction is academic and not religious.

Heck, Ryan Harris went from CDH to ND and he's a practicing Muslim!

CDH is a very good and expensive school if you're attending there then academics are something that you and your parents value. Never underestimate the influence of Mom and Dad in the selection of a college. If parents are shelling out a pretty penny for a HS education they're going to be looking to maximize that investment when it comes to the selection of a college. Thus moving to ND is a logical step for CDH students because of its academic prestige.

People thought that Brew could turn Michael Floyd. He never had a chance. Floyd's mother cleaned toilets in order to pay for Michael to attend CDH. She viewed his football career as an avenue to a top line education. About the only place that could have gotten Floyd away from ND would have been Stanford.

I don't think the Catholic angle plays at all. Notre Dame has done quite well in Minnesota over the years and I am sure Floyd will tell him it's a great place. I hate to say it, because I absolutely despise the Fighting Irish, but it's a great school. I think Weis could screw up a one-car parade, but he probably talks a great game and no one can argue that he's recruited well.

Why don't we play the non-religious angle?

"Hey kid, it's not likely any of the profs or higher-ups here will try to a##rape any of your kids."

That would be a selling point!!

Notre Dame Academics

I always get a kick out of the idea that Notre Dame is some superior academic institution. It is a fine school, but lets stop before we start comparing it to Stanford, Northwestern or any of the Ivy League schools. If you look at the rankings, one might come to the conclusion that ND is at a comparable level with those schools. That said, the rankings (pick any of them) are generally fraudulent. The fact that a school has a high percentage of alumni donating to the school really doesn't tell me much about its academics. Likewise, selectivity of students plays a key role in determining the rankings. I have always been of the opinion that the key to stellar collegiate education has more to do with the faculty talent than the fact that a kid scored 2 points higher on his ACT. Certainly, competition amongst the student body and a smarter student body provides for more competition leading to a better learning environment, but it you have average instructors or profs is the student being better prepared for post graduate success? Jury is out IMO. No question the Notre Dame alumni network takes care of its own, so you have to tip your hat to them. But, IMO a kid needs to look very specifically into the programs rather than at some arbitrary ranking. I had this same discussion with a friend who attended Boston College and was hell-bent that since the school was rated higher than the "U", he had received a superior education. At the time, this was around 2003 or so, Minnesota was behind BC in the US News Rankings. When it was drilled down however, Minnesota scored higher than BC in the "Academic Reputation" catagory. Equally subjective no doubt, but I hypothosized that it is more important to have high quality talent teaching than a good ACT/SAT score and a great score in "Alumni Giving". The other issue is the "Selectivity" part of the equation which unfairly penalizes most publics since as institutions receiving state funding, they generally must set the admission bar lower in terms of scores to please the populists within their respective state legislatures. Minnesota is a great example of that when you look at the decades it took to kill off General College. Much of GC's late life was owed to inner city legislators who lobbied hard to provide access to disadvantaged inner-city youth. Bottom line for Santreal is that he should evaluate each school based on his chosen profession, football. He should also weigh each school in terms of what his fallback profession might be should he be a football bust or God forbid he suffer a catastrophic injury that ruins his pro football career prospects. Notre Dame brings many fine things to the table no doubt, but lets not place them in the stratosphere of the Ivy League. After all, most the kids there are less Rudy than they are decent students from Wilmette, Greenwich or Highland Park who couldn't get into Northwestern or Stanford or an Ivy.

I always get a kick out of the idea that Notre Dame is some superior academic institution. It is a fine school, but lets stop before we start comparing it to Stanford, Northwestern or any of the Ivy League schools.

Not to get into a long debate regarding academics but why do you have Northwestern on a different strata than ND?

As you correctly state rankings are suspect but even so NW and ND generally rate pretty comparably. For instance USNWR has NW @12 ND at 18th. Both are generally considered to be in the "near-ivies" tier of schools. ND is actually more selective in their admissions 24.5 to 26.8. NW has a good journalism department ND has the #2 Business school in the nation behind the Wharton School.

Their both basically the same school with slightly different focuses.

Vinko, very well stated.

Also, the assumption is that because Seantrel goes to CDH, academics must be a priority for him, and being a private school, CDH must have good academics. That's all probably true, but lets not forget - CDH also has a pretty good reputation as a football school and perhaps that may have been Seantrel's reason for attending as much as academics or anything else (and vice versa - football may have been as much of a reason as any for CDH being interested in Seantrel).

Bottom line - may the best fit win, and hopefully (if you ask any of us Gopher fans) - it is the U of M!

Not to get into a long debate regarding academics but why do you have Northwestern on a different strata than ND?

As you correctly state rankings are suspect but even so NW and ND generally rate pretty comparably. For instance USNWR has NW @12 ND at 18th. Both are generally considered to be in the "near-ivies" tier of schools. ND is actually more selective in their admissions 24.5 to 26.8. NW has a good journalism department ND has the #2 Business school in the nation behind the Wharton School.

Thanks for picking up on that (you must have a superior Notre Dame education ;) ). Mainly, I was just trying to be provacative, but was also hoping that someone might pick up on that and call me on it. If you looked exclusively at the rankings, one could conclude that my comment on Notre Dame vs. Northwestern was valid, however, the very logic you used helps prove my point. You get the A+ for the day. For the record, I have immense respect for the value of a Notre Dame education. It is one of the finest schools in the country, but I think you could say the same for every BigTen school as well.

"The Big Ten Conference- Home to 10 of the Nation's Finest Universities... and the University of Iowa." :p

Yes

Tim Davis @ USC when Carson Palmer and IIRC part of Leinhart(sp?) was there. They had a few bigtime linemen then.

Tim Davis now @ Minnesota....so in that regard yes.

Anyway, I'm not personally arguing against USC, but ND at this moment doesn't really offer much more.

CDH is a feeder school for ND and the attraction is academic and not religious.

Heck, Ryan Harris went from CDH to ND and he's a practicing Muslim!

CDH is a very good and expensive school if you're attending there then academics are something that you and your parents value. Never underestimate the influence of Mom and Dad in the selection of a college. If parents are shelling out a pretty penny for a HS education they're going to be looking to maximize that investment when it comes to the selection of a college. Thus moving to ND is a logical step for CDH students because of its academic prestige.

People thought that Brew could turn Michael Floyd. He never had a chance. Floyd's mother cleaned toilets in order to pay for Michael to attend CDH. She viewed his football career as an avenue to a top line education. About the only place that could have gotten Floyd away from ND would have been Stanford.

"CDH is a very good and expensive school if you're attending there then academics are something that you and your parents value." - Then why not go to STA, SPA, or Breck?

From Shooter:
Look for former Gophers offensive coordinator Mitch Browning to join Bloomington Jefferson grad Lane Kiffin's University of Tennessee staff with responsibility to recruit Cretin-Derham Hall star lineman Seantrel Henderson.

Haha, I am sure more stupid little tidbits like this will keep popping up until he signs somewhere.

I'm still convinced that Carufel is our best recruiting tool for Henderson. Especially if he has a huge season. Who else do we have that can relate to him and can tell him that ND isn't the place to go if he's a OL?

Does the USNWR still rely heavily on Endowment as a factor of ranking. It is my understanding that more and more schools that have been "slighted" because they don't have a huge endowment has stopped returning results to them.

Unless someone can tell me the value of Endowment on how well you are educated at a school during a period of time, I haven't found those rankings to be very useful in evaluating a school.

I have always been of the opinion that the key to stellar collegiate education has more to do with the faculty talent than the fact that a kid scored 2 points higher on his ACT.

I have to disagree. the quality of a students education has more to do with what the student puts into it than what the professors bring to the table. academic reputation has more to do with faculty research.
but in my experience the best teachers--which is the most important factor for an undergraduate--usually aren't the most prolific publishers. faculty strength is much more important when considering a grad school than undergrad. the differences between faculty at say ND and NW are so negligible as to have no meaning.

I've never heard anyone put ND as the #2 business school behind Wharton. Where did that come from? Kellogg (NU's business school, yes, it is NU for Northwestern University not NW) on the other hand is a top 5 business school by virtually anyone that ranks business schools.

From Shooter:
Look for former Gophers offensive coordinator Mitch Browning to join Bloomington Jefferson grad Lane Kiffin's University of Tennessee staff with responsibility to recruit Cretin-Derham Hall star lineman Seantrel Henderson.

Haha, I am sure more stupid little tidbits like this will keep popping up until he signs somewhere.

Mitch is being hired as a graduate assistant which means he can only call recruits not visit or evaluate them off campus. Per GoVolsExtra: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jan/20/ex-syracuse-coordinator-browning-set-join-ut-staff/
GoVolsExtra said:
NCAA rules prohibit a school from having more than nine assistant coaches, and graduate assistants are not allowed to contact or evaluate recruits off campus. A graduate assistant can contact prospects by phone, as long as he has passed the NCAA’s certification test for recruiters.

It's basically a huge joke and completely flaunts the purpose of the grad asst positions as created by the NCAA.

Top Bottom