Nothing to lose this week plus we're a trap team. Do you smell upset?

Sparlimb

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how we come out this week. A loss costs us nothing and is expected by all. A win would be a major coup for Kill. Nebraska will have all the pressure, at home, to win and keep pace in the division with Michigan. Logic says we still lose by 30+, but watch out if we come out loose and grab a lead. Could be a fun one...

It will be interesting to see how we come out this week. A loss costs us nothing and is expected by all. A win would be a major coup for Kill. Nebraska will have all the pressure, at home, to win and keep pace in the division with Michigan. Logic says we still lose by 30+, but watch out if we come out loose and grab a lead. Could be a fun one...

And you predicted Nebraska 39-13 Sounds like case of false bravado to me.

I would like our chances of sneaking up on them better if the game was not vital to them. With them needing to win in order to stay in front of Michigan they will keep the pedal to the medal and Pelini will have them very focused and ready to go. Anything can happen but based on everything we have seen to date I don't like our chances to pull the shocking upset in Lincoln.

I'd love to say 'yes' to a trap game upset scenario being likely, but I just can't see it happening with as injured and shuffled our O-Line is now.

Lincoln is like the Roman arena: we're the Christians. Plus they are the second best team in the B10 and much underrated in the polls. Say your prayers.

I'm glad Nelson got a taste of a hostile environment in Madison but he has never been exposed to what he will see on Saturday.

And you predicted Nebraska 39-13 Sounds like case of false bravado to me.

As I said, Logic says we lose big. My record at predicting the score and pick per day should lead anyone to be happy I picked us to lose.

As I said, Logic says we lose big. My record at predicting the score and pick per day should lead anyone to be happy I picked us to lose.

Kind of like the Michigan game - if we can run with them for 3 quarters I will say it is more evidence of progress.

Nebraska seems to drop a game at home every year to a team they shouldn't when no one expects it. Last year it was Northwestern, the year before it was Iowa State. I would like to think that after 3 weeks in a row where they have had emotional late wins and looking towards a rivalry game with Iowa next week they could stumble. Having said that, I just don't see it happening and hope Minnesota can keep it close.

Nebraska seems to drop a game at home every year to a team they shouldn't when no one expects it. Last year it was Northwestern, the year before it was Iowa State. I would like to think that after 3 weeks in a row where they have had emotional late wins and looking towards a rivalry game with Iowa next week they could stumble. Having said that, I just don't see it happening and hope Minnesota can keep it close.

Trap game? I just hope we are respectable and there are no more injuries. My expectations are much higher for Michigan State.

Keep in mind all, a trap game involves Nebraska not coming out ready and making enough mistakes to leave us in the game or let us win. Not us coming out and somehow manhandling them. Their QB isn't a great passer and a couple turnovers will keep us in the game...

Fingers crossed for a big surprise but I predict this is the only game this season where the Gophers give up 40+ points.

Keep in mind all, a trap game involves Nebraska not coming out ready and making enough mistakes to leave us in the game or let us win. Not us coming out and somehow manhandling them. Their QB isn't a great passer and a couple turnovers will keep us in the game...

Turnovers are the key. That and a 60 minute effort by the defense. I'm convinced the new back is better than Burkhead. Along with TM that's two guys who can kill you. But they will throw it to the wrong team and put it on the turf. Our LB's will need to play great.

I say why not us, why not now!

For us to win this game, we need Taylor Martinez to have one of those weird bad games passing. I don't think we win unless he throws for 2/3 Ints (like Wisconsin '11 and Ohio State '12). For him to be in that situation, we need to slow down their running attack a little bit.

Nebraska doesn't have a dominant defense, they are in the middle of the road in the Big 10 (about like ours), so if we play well, we could move the ball.

I haven't watched a whole lot of Nebraska this season, but when I've watched them, I've seen an inconsistent team that loves to shoot itself in the foot (and sometimes take aim at the other foot once it's accomplished that). I predicted a big Nebraska (33-3) on the prediction thread, but I could see the game being closer than that if Nebraska plays inconsistently and we can have some measure of ball control on offense. I just don't think those things are likely to happen. If Nebraska puts it all together, it could be a long day in Lincoln. But, there's a reason we play the games.

Upset? No. Nebraska can and has been beat, by teams that can put up points. That's not the Gophers.

I like to break it down into what we do well and what they do well, and then compare strengths to strengths and weaknesses to weaknesses:

Nebraska does these things well:
Running the ball (269 yards per game, #7 in the country)
Defending the pass (100.6 pass efficiency defense, #7 in the country, allow 164 yards per game, #2 in the country)
Pressuring the quarterback (2.7 sacks per games, #20 in the country)

Nebraska does not do these things well:
Passing the ball (213 yards per game, #83 in the country)
Defending the run (179.9 yards against per game, #84 in the country)
Protecting the ball (-.80 turnover margin per game, #102 in the country)
Punting (35.7 yards net per punt, #87 in the country)

Minnesota does these things well:
Defending the pass (108.8 pass efficiency defense, #16 in the country, allow 169 yards per game, #7 in the country)
Protecting the quarterback (1.5 sacks allowed per game, #38 in the country)

Minnesota does not do these things well:
Passing the ball (187.5 yards against per game, #100 in the country)
Defending the run (168 yards against per game, #73 in the country)
Punting (35.5 yards net per punt, #90 in the country)

So, their biggest offensive strength (running the ball) lines up against one of our biggest defensive weaknesses (defending the run) and one of our biggest defensive strengths (defending the pass) aligns with their biggest offensive weakness (passing the ball). Basically, it's what we all know and say, but statistically grounded.

My takeaway, I would much rather have an offensive strength to line up against their defensive weakness (as the game is often dictated by what the offense is doing). Unfortunately we don't have an offensive strength to this point in the season - both passing and running are mediocre to bad, statistically speaking, at a national level.

Goph fans just enjoy the IL win cuz it is more likely that MN scores 13 points against NE.

Good point, to boil it all down it is very likely the Gophers score 13 points on Saturday and that is all anyone really needs to know.

Wear Gold. It stands out in and amongst all the Red you will see there. Husker Fans are cool. And they drink alot.

I do not smell an upset. But I would love for us to come out the gates firing on all cylinders and competing for 4 quarters. That would be a success in my book, win, lose, or draw.

Wear Gold. It stands out in and amongst all the Red you will see there. Husker Fans are cool. And they drink alot.

Yup. I'll be majorly Gold next Saturday.

I see this one as a closer than thought final score. Huskers 31 Gophers 21. I see Gophers going strong through 3 quarters and Huskers scoring late in the 4th quarter to seal the win.

Top Bottom