Notes from Coyle's press conference after firing Tracy Claeys

GopherLady

Reaction score
These are obviously not verbatim, typed as fast as I could...

Tuesday, January 03, 2017
6:40 PM

Mark Coyle:
• I've made a very difficult decision that impacts many people, I did not take it lightly, student athletes, students, staff and donors will be upset with that decision
• I will honor his contract and the contracts of the assistant coaches
• I committed to everyone that we would have a program that would compete at the highest level, there's not reason why MN football can't compete tat the highest level, We are committed to finding a coach that will do that.
• He was professional, he was disappointed, but he understood. We'll honor the contract in full.
• When do you expect to have a new guy? I conducted 2 searches, it's going to feel like years, but we'll move quickly. It will feel like an eternity.
• I've received phone calls from people.
• Pressure from boosters - when I was hired, we talked about coming here that talk about having a program that makes MN proud, these are tough jobs, it has not been an easy 6 months for me, but we will not waiver. No pressure from the outside forces. I appreciate the support that I have from President Kaler.
• Timeline? Why today? It was important after the bowl game, you don't want to make decisions based on emotion, we evaluated.
• Fired for just cause? We will honor his contract, and the assistant coaches. Not the buyout, the full amount listed.
• Was this about the tweet? It wasn't about one instance, the events over the past few weeks underscored that.
• I can't tell you how frustrated our fans are. What I can talk about is having a program that operates with integrity and class.
• I took into account what was in the best long term interest for our program, there's no reason we can't compete at the highest level, we have a world class institution, we can find a leader what we want to do long term.
• If I could show you all the emails I got after the WI game…
• On targeting - it's looking at the whole program, you can't make a decision like this on one thing. I don't take these decisions lightly. I have impacted a lot of people. Targeting was part of the overall evaluation.
• Financial component - I'm thankful they support this decision, but we will work our way through that.
• Interest in the job? I go back to world class academic institution, best conference, wonderful state and community.
• Players have a right to be angry and frustrated. This is a learning experience for all of us. I hope those students understand that the M never comes off. My #1 goal is to make sure we provide a 1st class experience for all of our athletes.
• You're defined by your actions, due to privacy laws, I can't share everything, but we did talk about doing things the right way. High character, integrity. We've had those conversations.
• On transparency - I sat down with Claeys, and we were transparent. What was available to the coach? What was available to me that guided the decision to suspend the players.
• Everyone needs to take a deep breath, we had an 8 win season, and people were upset.
• On transferring or recruits not coming - Recruiting is a big part of any program, when we find our football couch, he will respond. I keep going back to, we're in the Big 10 conference, world class, etc.
• When we talk to our students staff and coaches, I talk about, let's live in truth always. There are student privacy laws I can't talk about.
• What's disappointing is we have 700 student athletes, and we're not talking about those things (like going to the Final 4). We're the highest rated public institution in the country when we're talking about academic achievements
• I saw a team that gave up halftime leads…like you all saw
• Why did he wait? As I said before, it was important that we didn't make a decision based on emotion. I had to take some time, this is a hard decision. I didn't want to rush into the decision.
• Solely or with Kaler - It was my decision, obviously I informed President Kaler and am thankful for the support he's given me.
• Why were players reinstated - can't comment.
• I'm convinced that we can win at the highest level, and do things the right way.

Thanks GopherLady!

I am surprised to see Coyle take so many shots at Claeys.

Go Gophers!!

The reason Minnesota can't compete at the highest level is because it keeps hiring people like Coyle.

They will honour the full amount and not the buyout? That means they are afraid of losing litigation. Only in Minnesota.

Mark Coyle:
• I've made a very difficult decision that impacts many people, I did not take it lightly, student athletes, students, staff and donors will be upset with that decision
• I committed to everyone that we would have a program that would compete at the highest level, there's not reason why MN football can't compete tat the highest level, We are committed to finding a coach that will do that.
• He was professional, he was disappointed, but he understood. We'll honor the contract in full.
• When do you expect to have a new guy? I conducted 2 searches, it's going to feel like years, but we'll move quickly. It will feel like an eternity.
• Pressure from boosters - when I was hired, we talked about coming here that talk about having a program that makes MN proud, these are tough jobs, it has not been an easy 6 months for me, but we will not waiver. No pressure from the outside forces. I appreciate the support that I have from President Kaler.
• Timeline? Why today? It was important after the bowl game, you don't want to make decisions based on emotion, we evaluated.
• Fired for just cause? We will honor his contract, and the assistant coaches. Not the buyout, the full amount listed.
• Was this about the tweet? It wasn't about one instance, the events over the past few weeks underscored that.
• I can't tell you how frustrated our fans are. What I can talk about is having a program that operates with integrity and class.
• I took into account what was in the best long term interest for our program, there's no reason we can't compete at the highest level, we have a world class institution, we can find a leader what we want to do long term.
• On targeting - it's looking at the whole program, you can't make a decision like this on one thing. I don't take these decisions lightly. I have impacted a lot of people. Targeting was part of the overall evaluation.
• Financial component - I'm thankful they support this decision, but we will work our way through that.
• Interest in the job? I go back to world class academic institution, best conference, wonderful state and community.
• Players have a right to be angry and frustrated. This is a learning experience for all of us. I hope those students understand that the M never comes off. My #1 goal is to make sure we provide a 1st class experience for all of our athletes.
• You're defined by your actions, due to privacy laws, I can't share everything, but we did talk about doing things the right way. High character, integrity. We've had those conversations.
• On transparency - I sat down with Claeys, and we were transparent. What was available to the coach? What was available to me that guided the decision to suspend the players.
• Everyone needs to take a deep breath, we had an 8 win season, and people were upset.
• On transferring or recruits not coming - Recruiting is a big part of any program, when we find our football couch, he will respond. I keep going back to, we're in the Big 10 conference, world class, etc.
• When we talk to our students staff and coaches, I talk about, let's live in truth always. There are student privacy laws I can't talk about.
• What's disappointing is we have 700 student athletes, and we're not talking about those things (like going to the Final 4). We're the highest rated public institution in the country when we're talking about academic achievements
• Why did he wait? As I said before, it was important that we didn't make a decision based on emotion. I had to take some time, this is a hard decision. I didn't want to rush into the decision.
• Solely or with Kaler - It was my decision, obviously I informed President Kaler and am thankful for the support he's given me.
• I'm convinced that we can win at the highest level, and do things the right way.

Yeah.....he hit me with this one.

Mark Coyle:

Yeah.....he hit me with this one.

What- we gave up halftime leads to 2 top 10 teams and a top 25 team - all on the road. U expect a team to never have losses like those? Btw-We won 2 games in which we were behind at half as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wanted a new football coach for football reasons.

I didn't want it to happen this way. This will, unfortunately, be stain on this program for years to come and will define the Coyle hire and I feel for his situation.

He didn't want Claeys in the first place, regardless of whether or not Claeys was a good coach he wasn't Coyles guy. And now he has this mess to deal with. A complete lose lose for everyone involved.

Mark Coyle:

Seems Coyle forgot the bowl game.

They will honour the full amount and not the buyout? That means they are afraid of losing litigation. Only in Minnesota.

He said they are keeping the contract, meaning buyout, in response to if they were firing him for cause

Absolutely, at the recommendation of the University counsel they will be offering full buyout. Hope it doesn't work.. the litigation should be interesting. Maybe some GH's will be chosen for jury duty. Hope so.

Thanks Nadine. I'm sure this wasn't a pleasant event to cover, but you are professional as always.

You nailed it.....and he may have put a muzzle on Claeys...assuming he wants the rest of his money. I wished one of the reporters would have...you know asked that question (clause to remain silent).

So why reward a coach you deem his actions warrant him being fired?

Because it is less expensive to pay the buyout than it is the lawyer up for the legal challenge to firing him for cause.

The reason he didn't nail it was because he though that they were going to pay more than the buyout

Mark Coyle:

Yeah, he should look in the mirror tomorrow morning and repeat some of these things...Kaler as well.

I wanted a new football coach for football reasons.

I didn't want it to happen this way. This will, unfortunately, be stain on this program for years to come and will define the Coyle hire and I feel for his situation.

He didn't want Claeys in the first place, regardless of whether or not Claeys was a good coach he wasn't Coyles guy. And now he has this mess to deal with. A complete lose lose for everyone involved.

Sounds like this post is more about you than anything else...

Top Bottom