Notable Coaching Changes 2024

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Clemson parted ways with Amanda Butler

Kentucky dismissed Kyra Elzy

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Kentucky hired Kenny Brooks as women's basketball coach after a successful tenure with Virginia Tech highlighted by the ACC regular-season championship a year after winning the tournament title and reaching its first Final Four.

The school announced Brooks' hiring on Tuesday afternoon, hours after Virginia Tech said he would leave the program. Kentucky will introduce Brooks as its ninth coach on Thursday afternoon.

Kentucky athletic director Mitch Barnhart said in a statement the school was "extremely excited" to bring Brooks aboard and cited his past success developing players at James Madison and Virginia Tech while guiding both programs to success.

• When you combine his coaching excellence with his vision for this program and his passion to take us there, he is ideally suited to be head coach of the Wildcats," Barnhart said.

Brooks thanked Virginia Tech "for the most joyful journey" of his coaching career and expressed excitement in coming to Kentucky and competing in the Southeastern Conference.

"I don't plan on wasting any time building a positive atmosphere, winning environment and a persistent program that Big Blue Nation can be proud of," Brooks said.

Brooks will follow Kyra Elzy at Kentucky. She was fired March 11 after consecutive losing seasons since winning the school's first Southeastern Conference tournament title since 1982.

Earlier Tuesday, Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock wished Brooks and his family well and called him "an incredible mentor" to the program and a terrific representative of the school.

The Waynesboro native went 180-82 with at least 20 wins in seven of his eight seasons in Blacksburg, leading the Hokies to their first Atlantic Coast Conference tournament title last year before winning the 2024 regular-season title. Virginia Tech won a school-record 31 games last season on the way to its Final Four appearance before falling to eventual national champion LSU.

The Hokies (25-7) were seeded fourth in their fourth consecutive NCAA tournament and reached the second round before falling 75-72 to No. 5 seed Baylor on Sunday.

"We hired Kenny in 2016 with the intent of revitalizing our women's basketball program," Babcock said. "Needless to say, Kenny, his staff and student-athletes created a culture of excellence on and off the court."

Babcock added that the school will begin a national search for Brooks' replacement immediately.

Brooks went 337-122 at James Madison and was the Dukes' winningest coach, leading them to 11 consecutive postseason appearances with six NCAA berths and five WNIT appearances. JMU went 60-3 in Colonial Athletic Association play during his final three seasons at the school in Harrisonburg.

Shawn Poppie to Clemson

COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Clemson has hired Chattanooga coach Shawn Poppie to be its women's basketball coach.

Poppie received a six-year contract worth $3.375 million through the 2029-30 season. The agreement was approved by the Board of Trustees' compensation committee on Tuesday.

Poppie spent the past two years at Chattanooga where he was 48-18 and won the Southern Conference Tournament title and reached the NCAA Tournament both seasons. He was Southern Conference coach of the year this past season after leading the Mocs to 28 victories.

Chattanooga lost its first round game to No. 3 seed North Carolina State 64-45 on Saturday.

Poppie will earn $500,000 next season with his salary increasing by $25,000 a year until he'll make $625,000 in the final year of the contract.

Poppie also gets a $435,000 signing "incentive" that will be paid within his first 30 days on the job.

The Kellie Harper era ends in Knoxville

Tennessee parted ways with coach Kellie Harper on Monday after five seasons, opting to make a change to try and reinvigorate a program that has not played for a national championship since the late Pat Summitt retired.

Harper, who played under Summitt, could never quite get the program back to an elite level. Though she won 20 or more games four times, Tennessee never advanced past the Sweet 16.

Harper, 46, had four years left on her contract. Her buyout dropped significantly Monday, going from 100 percent of her annual compensation through April 14, 2027 to 50 percent of her annual compensation through its end date in 2028.

"After a thorough review of our women's basketball program, I have informed Kellie we are making a change in leadership," Tennessee athletic director Danny White said in a statement. "Decisions like these are never easy to make, especially with someone who has done so much for the Lady Vols as a three-time national champion student-athlete. Her love and passion for Tennessee and the Lady Vols is second to none. She has invested so much heart and soul into our program and truly has given her all for Tennessee. I thank Kellie for her stewardship of our women's basketball program and wish her and Jon well in the next chapter of their lives."

That or Tennessee will try to Poach away Lawson from Duke. She is a much more successful coach than Harper and more like someone in Pat Summit's coaching tree to emulate.

Lawson has won 58% of her conference games at Duke and made one Sweet Sixteen in 4 years.
Harper won 69% of her conference games at Tennessee and made two Sweet Sixteens in 5 years.

Both were starting PGs at Tennessee under Summitt.

I don't really see why you'd fire one coach to get to another with a similar resume. Lawson is certainly more "known" to people because of her time at ESPN, but I don't think most kids these days ever really watched ESPN.

Lawson has won 58% of her conference games at Duke and made one Sweet Sixteen in 4 years.
Harper won 69% of her conference games at Tennessee and made two Sweet Sixteens in 5 years.

Both were starting PGs at Tennessee under Summitt.

I don't really see why you'd fire one coach to get to another with a similar resume. Lawson is certainly more "known" to people because of her time at ESPN, but I don't think most kids these days ever really watched ESPN.
I should have clarified the perception I'd say of Lawson is she is more successful as a coach than Harper because of being an ESPN talking head and the documentary. This is more thinking Tennessee boosters would open up wallets more for Lawson. If she Lawson were smart she would stay at Duke, that's a good gig in a hotbed area for recruiting. I think you are right NatedawgUM, TENN they will be taking a financial run at Dawn Staley.

Ohio State assistant Wesley Brooks named Utah State head coach

LOGAN, Utah (Monday, April 1) – Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics Diana Sabau announced Monday that Wesley Brooks has been named the school's 10th head women's basketball coach in its 36 seasons.

"Wesley is a great developer of people, not only as high-preforming student-athletes, All-Americans and professionals, but as young women in society," said Sabau. "Under his leadership, we look forward to advancing the trajectory of women's basketball at Utah State University."

Brooks brings 20 years of collegiate experience with him to Utah State, most recently serving as an assistant coach at The Ohio State University. He previously worked as an assistant at Michigan, Utah, North Texas, Texas Southern and Robert Morris, and as a graduate assistant and director of basketball operations at West Virginia. In all, he has helped 11 teams to postseason berths with eight NCAA Tournament appearances, including in each of the past six years

Kenny Brooks Kentucky salary and contract:

Brooks has signed a five-year deal with the Wildcats that will see him earn $7.7 million through 2029. The 55-year-old has a base salary of $400,000 each year with significant money on top of that through media and endorsements.

Below is Brooks’ total year-by-year salary at Kentucky.

• Year 1: $1.3 million
  • Year 2: $1.4 million
  • Year 3: $1.5 million
  • Year 4: $1.7 million
  • Year 5: $1.8 million

Hearing Kieger from PSU TO Miami rumors, could explain the mass exodus from PSU.

Last edited:

Quentin Hillsman reemerges as an Ole Miss assistant

Ole Miss women’s basketball continues to build toward the future, with head coach Yolett McPhee-McCuin announcing the addition of Quentin Hillsman as an assistant coach on Wednesday.

“I am very pleased to be able to hire a coach with the pedigree and experience of Quentin Hillsman,” said McPhee-McCuin. “He is an excellent teacher of the game and also a strong recruiter at both the national and international levels.” “I have known Quentin for over 20 years, and I am confident that he will be a tremendous addition to my coaching staff. We look forward to him and his family joining us at Ole Miss.”

Hillsman joins the Rebels after most recently spending 15 years as the head coach at Syracuse, where he became the all-time winningest coach in school history with a record of 319-169. At the helm of the Orange, Hillsman guided Syracuse to eight NCAA Tournament appearances, as well as coaching 19 all-conference selections, five All-Americans and four WNBA draft picks.

Tricia Cullop named head coach of Miami Hurricanes

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami has hired Tricia Cullop as head women’s basketball coach, Vice President/Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich announced Friday.

Cullop comes to Coral Gables after spending the past 16 seasons as the head coach at the University of Toledo, where she compiled a record of 353-169. The six-time Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year led the Rockets to five MAC regular season championships and 11 postseason berths, including two trips to the NCAA Tournament. Prior to Toledo, Cullop spent eight seasons as the head coach at the University of Evansville.

Cullop is the eighth head women’s basketball coach in Miami history. Her introductory press conference will take place next week at a date and time to be announced.

Former Badger head coach Jonathon Tsipis takes the HC job at Western Carolina

(WLOS) Former head coach at both George Washington University and the University of Wisconsin, Jonathan Tsipis has been named the next head women’s basketball head coach at Western Carolina University, Director of Athletics Alex Gary announced today. Tsipis (pronounced SIP-iss) comes to Cullowhee having most recently served on the staff at Marquette University.

Tsipis, whose contract was approved by the WCU Board of Trustees on Friday morning, becomes the 14th different head women’s basketball coach in Western Carolina history dating back to 1965. He is a veteran coach with 27 years of experience, including nearly a decade as a NCAA Division I women’s basketball head coach.

Tennessee hires Kim Caldwell

Tennessee hired Marshall coach Kim Caldwell on Sunday, going outside the Lady Vols family for the first time since the late Pat Summitt stepped down.

Caldwell replaces Kellie Harper, who was fired last week after five seasons coaching at her alma mater. She will be introduced at a news conference Tuesday. The move might be considered outside the box to some. Both Harper and her predecessor, Holly Warlick, had deep ties to the program.

Not so with Caldwell, who spent this past season at Marshall, reinvigorating a program that had been down. In her lone season as head coach, Marshall won the Sun Belt championship, set a record for most wins in school history (26) and made the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1997.

Before going to Marshall, Caldwell spent seven seasons at her alma mater, Division II Glenville State, winning the 2022 Division II national championship. That same year, she won the Pat Summitt Trophy as the WBCA NCAA Division II National Coach of the Year.

Tennessee hires Kim Caldwell
Well UT didn't break the bank on a big name, but they did hire a quality basketball coach.

A quick look at some Kim Caldwell contract info

Tennessee athletics director Danny White tabbed Marshall's Kim Caldwell to take over as head coach of Lady Vols basketball on Sunday. Tennessee and Caldwell inked the contract on Sunday afternoon.

The Daily Beacon obtained Caldwell's contract via a public records request, which shows her base pay as $750,000 and it will run through March 31, 2029. The University of Tennessee is also responsible for paying Caldwell's $600,000 buyout at Marshall. The contract totals five years for $3.75 million.

As for incentive compensation, Caldwell will receive $400,000 for winning the NCAA National Championship. She receives $200,000 for appearing in the title game, $150,000 for a Final Four berth, $100,000 for an Elite Eight appearance, $75,000 for a Sweet 16, $40,000 for a Round of 32 appearance and $25,000 for making the tournament.

A win in the NCAA National Championship also will result in a hefty pay raise.

"In the event the women’s basketball team wins the NCAA National Championship, Coach’s Base Pay will be increased on or before May 1 following the conclusion of the women’s basketball season in which such goal was achieved so that Coach’s annual compensation will equal or exceed the highest salary of any head coach of a women’s basketball team in Division I of the NCAA based on publicly available salary data on the date of such achievement," the contract reads.

In the SEC, Caldwell receives $60,000 for winning the SEC Regular Season title and $30,000 for winning the SEC Tournament.

A look at Caldwell's buyout

Caldwell is owed 100% of her base pay of the five-year contract if terminated before March 31, 2025. If she is terminated on or after April 1, 2025, she is owed 50% of her base contract.

It is a structure that is similar to her predecessor's.

A look at Caldwell's benefits

Some of the benefits listed in the contract are standard, like a one-time moving allowance of $35,000 and tickets to various sporting events at Tennessee. She also has a monthly vehicle allowance of $1,700 for two vehicles.

The university will also provide Caldwell the use of a non-commerical aircraft for her personal use. She can use it for round trip three times within the continental United States

Cara Consuegra named Marquette head coach

MILWAUKEE – Cara Consuegra has been named the seventh women's basketball head coach at Marquette University, Vice President and Director of Athletics Bill Scholl announced Wednesday afternoon.

Consuegra, who was an assistant coach at Marquette from 2004-11, was 225-169 in 13 seasons at Charlotte with seven postseason appearances, including a NCAA tournament berth in 2022.

"When we started this process, it was our goal to find the best possible head coach to lead our student-athletes into the future," Scholl said. "Ultimately, that person turned out to be one of our own. Having served seven years as an assistant coach at Marquette, Cara has an acute appreciation for the values that make both the university and the women's basketball program so special."

"At her core, she is about the holistic development, on and off the court, of the young women she will mentor and that mirrors the university's approach," Scholl added. "It's a privilege to welcome Cara and her husband, JP, along with their two boys, Jayden and Jace, back to the Marquette family."

Consuegra became Charlotte's all-time wins leader at the beginning of a 2021-22 campaign in which she was named Conference USA Coach of the Year. That season, she guided the 49ers to a 22-10 overall record and 15-3 mark in league play, winning the regular season and conference tournament title. It was the first NCAA tournament bid for Charlotte since the 2008-09 season and third in program history.

"My family and I are very excited to be returning to Marquette, a place that we consider home," said Consuegra. "I want to thank Bill Scholl and Dr. Lovell for the opportunity to lead this prestigious program. I also want to thank Charlotte and all the people and players who allowed us to be a part of their lives for 13 incredible years."

"The history of Marquette women's basketball is strong and the future is bright," Consuegra added. "I am excited to reconnect with the rich tradition, while leading the program to new heights."

The 49ers had 30 all-conference performers during Consuegra's tenure in Charlotte, including two conference players of the year honors in Jennifer Hailey (2012-13) and Octavia Jett-Wilson (2021-22). She coached 10 1,000-point scorers and led Charlotte to a 129-53 home record (.709). The 49ers had four 20-win seasons during her 13 years in Charlotte and earned seven Women's National Invitation Tournament berths, the most in school history.

Consuegra guided the 49ers in three different conferences, playing in the Atlantic 10 from 2011-13, Conference USA from 2013-23, and the American Athletic Conference in 2023-24. Consuegra was a one of three finalists for the Maggie Dixon Award in 2011-12, the Women's College Basketball Association's annual award given to the nation's top rookie head coach.

Consuegra was an assistant under Terri Mitchell at Marquette for seven seasons from 2004-11. She helped the lead the Golden Eagles to 145 wins and seven trips to the postseason, including two NCAA tournament appearances and a WNIT Championship in 2008.

While at Marquette, Consuegra was instrumental in the development of Associated Press All-American and two-time All-BIG EAST First Team honoree, Krystal Ellis, four-time All-BIG EAST selection and WNBA draftee, Angel Robinson, and All-BIG EAST Second Team selections, Carolyn Kieger and Tatiyiana McMorris.

Consuegra was director of operations at Penn State for three years before becoming an assistant at MU.

She was a four-year letterwinner at Iowa from 1997-01 and a All-Big Ten First Team selection her senior season. She led the Hawkeyes to a pair of NCAA tournament appearances and was the first woman in program history to tally over 1,000 points and 500 assists. Consuegra was drafted and played one season with the Utah Starzz of the WNBA in 2001

South Dakota's Kayla Karius takes over at UWGB

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Kayla Karius has been named the fourth head coach of Green Bay's storied women's basketball program. Karius, formally Kayla Tetschlag, played at Green Bay from 2007-11. An introductory press conference will be held in the Kress Events Center on Thursday, April 25 at 10 a.m. and will be open to the public.

"I'm thrilled to be returning to my Alma mater and honored to be only the fourth head coach of Green Bay Women's Basketball," Karius remarked. "This is the premier women's basketball program in our state and is located in one of the most innovative and booming communities. I look forward to carrying on a strong tradition of championships on the court and excellence in the classroom. Thank you to Chancellor Alexander, Athletics Director Josh Moon, and Parker search firm for entrusting me to lead this storied program. Go Phoenix!"

The Sheboygan, Wis., native comes to the Phoenix after two seasons at the University of South Dakota where she led the Coyotes to back-to-back winning seasons in the Summit League, including a 23-13 record last season that ended with a pair of wins in the WNIT.

A key recruiter in the Midwest, Karius has served as the recruiting coordinator at all four stops in her coaching career – Sioux Falls, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Drake. Her recruiting classes at South Dakota included 2022 Summit League Player of the Year Chloe Lamb, three-time Defensive Player of the Year Hannah Sjerven, two-time all-league pick Liv Korngable, Monica Arens, Claudia Kunzer, Regan Sankey, and Allison Peplowski.

Before her second stint at South Dakota, Karius spent three seasons at Wisconsin and one at Drake. The Bulldogs won 20 games and reached the WNIT's round of 16. Karius worked with first-team all-Missouri Valley picks Grace Berg and Megan Meyer.

Karius graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in 2011 with a bachelor's degree in business administration with a marketing emphasis. Karius, a standout as a player on the Phoenix basketball team, was the 2011 Horizon League Player of the Year. She led Green Bay to four Horizon League titles, three NCAA Tournaments, and the NCAA Sweet 16 her senior year. She received the Horizon League Cecil N. Colman Medal of Honor at the conclusion of her playing career. In the summer of 2023, Karius was inducted into the Green Bay Athletics Hall of Fame and is one of 37 Phoenix players in the 1,000-point club.

Kayla Karius' Timeline
· 2022-2024, Head Coach – South Dakota
· 2021-2022, Assistant Coach – Drake
· 2020-2021, Associate Head Coach – Wisconsin
· 2018-2020, Assistant Coach – Wisconsin
· 2016-2018, Assistant Coach – South Dakota
· 2015-2016, Assistant Coach – Sioux Falls
· 2011-2015, Professional Athlete – Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany
· 2007-2011, Student-Athlete – Green Bay Phoenix

South Dakota's Kayla Karius takes over at UWGB

As a reminder...there are at least three recent players from Minnesota who committed to USD:
--Ava Cossette, 2024 from Maple Grove, signed her NLI just 5 days ago.
--Miah Monahan from Glencoe-Silver Lake signed on as a grad transfer from Eastern Illinois less than a month ago
--Tori Schlagel, 2025 from Eden Prairie, verbally committed in the fall

Top Bottom