Not too happy in Rutgersville about the OC hire....

I liked Kirk well enough, and was looking forward to seeing what he’d do with the offense next year, but he’s not some irreplaceable offensive genius and he doesn’t strike me as a great recruiter.

The bigger concern to me is is Fleck’s shaky track record on hiring coordinators. But we appear to have enough money to make an upgrade hire here.

It's not like KC is too conservative when we've had superior receivers. The offense was pretty wide open in 2019. If CAB stayed healthy all season, he wouldn't be calling for Mo to pound it between the tackles 30+ times a game!
I just can't believe that the success or failure of the passing game was so heavily dependent on a guy who's averaged around 450 yards total receiving his first 4 seasons.

It sounds like an excuse, and the success of the passing attack in the Wisconsin game supports as much.

I just can't believe that the success or failure of the passing game was so heavily dependent on a guy who's averaged around 450 yards total receiving his first 4 seasons.

It sounds like an excuse, and the success of the passing attack in the Wisconsin game supports as much.
Thinking back, I'm actually pretty sure a CAB injury was one of PJ's main excuses after the Bowling Green loss.

The football team brings in an insane amount, I’d be happy for him and ecstatic the U was treating the football team like the revenue machine that it is.
The question was how would.i of felt if we matched the offer to Him... I'd have 0 issues if we got an elite top 3 o.c. and paid him.. Kirk is NOT that o.c.

The question was how would.i of felt if we matched the offer to Him... I'd have 0 issues if we got an elite top 3 o.c. and paid him.. Kirk is NOT that o.c.
Oh for him? I thought it was Rossi.

For Kirk, I’d rather have used the 1.5 to get someone else.

The optics of all these coaches leaving is bad. I don’t know what was pre-arranged or communicated to/by them though.

I am not sad to see KC go. I think his upside was low and his floor was above average. Id rather have higher upside to maybe steal some wins
Are the optics really that bad, Lost Warriner, Palp and Linguist in 2017. Lost Smith Addae and West in 2018. Lost KC, Panagos and Chance in 2019. 2021 we lost Patterson, Wilt, Sanford, Harasymiak, this year we lost Haynes, Haley, KC again and Burns. Outside of the pandemic year seems pretty par for the course

Oh for him? I thought it was Rossi.

For Kirk, I’d rather have used the 1.5 to get someone else.
Rossi is a top 10 d.c. per the def stats the past couple years... If he keeps it up some blue blood will come calling... If that happens pay the man.... The difference is he is sustaining his success..

I would love the university to lure some proven top o.c. from somewhere and pay them whatever .. however I don't see this university doing that... Hope im wrong....

If it meant PJ wouldn’t be able to backfill with quality coaches in other openings, it would piss me off. KC has had one good year at MN and that was 2019 in an offense loaded with talent with no major injuries. Also probably before other teams started really studying his schemes because that team took everyone by surprise. Iowa and WI stopped that great offense. I don’t see KC as a top 5 coordinator, but what do I know?
I mean, by extension, you could say the same about Fleck, right?

I mean, by extension, you could say the same about Fleck, right?

Sure, but not as much. A top defense has helped MN win a few more games than their just offense would have indicated. Fleck gets to take credit for that too.

Are the optics really that bad, Lost Warriner, Palp and Linguist in 2017. Lost Smith Addae and West in 2018. Lost KC, Panagos and Chance in 2019. 2021 we lost Patterson, Wilt, Sanford, Harasymiak, this year we lost Haynes, Haley, KC again and Burns. Outside of the pandemic year seems pretty par for the course
I think losing 4 coaches in a season—3 to conference teams—looks bad to casual followers

This!

Position coaches move around all the time.

I think losing 4 coaches in a season—3 to conference teams—looks bad to casual followers
Especially when the in conference moves seem lateral on the surface. When you dig a little deeper you can see more obvious reasons for the moves....new coaches at those schools who the guys leaving had a pre-existing relationship with. And in the case of KC, getting a ridiculous raise to go coach on the East coast where he has strong family ties.

Ideally you hate to see guys making lateral moves but the moves that happened this year make sense when you look at other factors at play. Obviously nobody has any questions about Burns leaving to be a head coach, guys leaving for clear promotions always makes sense.

It had at least some impact. It wasn't about the yards as much as easy dropped balls in critical situations or receivers simply not getting open. Several of the passes were short possession catches, so not many yards associated with them. If CrAB's presence in the lineup changes some of those critical plays, the whole season might have been different. We'll never know. Shoulda woulda coulda.

It had at least some impact. It wasn't about the yards as much as easy dropped balls in critical situations or receivers simply not getting open. Several of the passes were short possession catches, so not many yards associated with them. If CrAB's presence in the lineup changes some of those critical plays, the whole season might have been different. We'll never know. Shoulda woulda coulda.

To expand on this, if CrAB's presence in the lineup allowed the Gophs to run a "good hands" receiver like Jackson in the slot this year...that could have been fun.

I know this figure is somewhat misleading, because all it really is, is whatever the first offensive formation is out on the field. So that can (and does) change-up the "starters" from game to game, somewhat.

ZMM3tuZ.png

But once CrAB went down, as we would see later in the year, Jackson and Brockington were our two best pass catchers. They were out there a fair bit, so I don't know what it was. Bad pass calls?

Or, sorry to say, but maybe Tanner was just throwing the ball behind the receivers too much?

Obviously, one of the starting receivers had trouble at times catching the ball, we all know who no need to call him out further.

So Brown-Stephens has two years of eligibility left, right? Will he see the filed much going forward? With his case of the "dropsies" and what not.

As an aside learned in the run-up to the bowl game that the Syracuse Orange fans have very high disdain for Rutgers.

I guess it's probably a proximity thing...both in NY...recruiting the same areas...etc. Syracuse has dominated them football wise...basically 2:1 Orange Ws to Scarlett Knight Ws...so there's no real threat there.

If you really have time on your hands...back to 2012 is this article...

That is all. Back to unhappiness in Rutgersville...

So Brown-Stephens has two years of eligibility left, right? Will he see the filed much going forward? With his case of the "dropsies" and what not.
They came on suddenly too. Just rewatched the sparty game and he was great.

No argument with that. CAB is a good player and the team would have been better with him in the lineup. The larger point is that if losing a guy who has averaged 29 catches and 440 yards a season (2018-2021) totally derails your hopes of having a decent passing game.....you're doing something else wrong.

Personally, I'm not even that sure CAB would have made that big of a difference. Just an opinion, but I don't see him as a bona fide #1 receiver (because track record, I hope this changes in 2023). I think we still would have seen mostly MBS struggling in the slot position way too long into the season and would have had the same issues with 3rd and long with a QB who struggles with throws beyond 10 yards.

I'm sure some aren't going to like that opinion, but in 2023 we'll start a highly capable QB and have a nice full set of experienced and proven receivers. So hopefully there will be no personnel excuses.

Last edited:

I wouldn't be shocked if he's not on the team next year.

The casual fan probably couldn't name any of our position coaches, they may not even know position coaches exist

The casual fan probably couldn't name any of our position coaches, they may not even know position coaches exist
But that doesn’t mean the headlines of “gophers lose four coaches” aren’t going to be read by them.

No argument with that. CAB is a good player and the team would have been better with him in the lineup. The larger point is that if losing a guy who has averaged 29 catches and 440 yards a season (2018-2021) totally derails your hopes of having a decent passing game.....you're doing something else wrong.

Personally, I'm not even that sure CAB would have made that big of a difference. Just an opinion, but I don't see him as a bona fide #1 receiver (because track record, I hope this changes in 2023). I think we still would have seen mostly MBS struggling in the slot position way too long into the season and would have had the same issues with 3rd and long with a QB who struggles with throws beyond 10 yards.

I'm sure some aren't going to like that opinion, but in 2023 we'll start a highly capable QB and have a nice full set of experienced and proven receivers. So hopefully there will be no personnel excuses.
I am sure I will get roasted but I agree with this. CAB is good, but I never saw him as a #1. HE would have had the defense keyed on him for sure which may have opened things up for others but I am not sure that changes anything.

I am glad he is coming back, but if he is our #1 receiving threat all year I have a bad feeling. Then again AK is not TM so all previous season results are kind of immaterial.

But they will make it a big deal.
For a day...in 2 weeks no casual observer will remember any of this. Until they hire new people and then that is what they will care about.

Hell for most fans it wont even last a day as the Vikings will dominate the news cycle.

Top Bottom