Not So Special Teams

46Gophers

Reaction score
Some of our kicks and coverage have been terrible this year and have really cost us. Also, how can we continue to give ourselves no chance on our onside kick attempts? I thought our special teams were going to be a strength this year but unfortunately they have not been.

Gotta say I'm not a fan of the drop kick onside.
Line it up, Kick it one bounce to the has and have your mashers blow it up so you get the chance to recover.

No chance when the ball doesn't go 10yrs. Very poor execution with the onside kick attempt

On King's long kickoff return I have to wonder if they asked Santoso to kick it high instead of deep. That was a huge play as we just scored to get within 6 and then momentum was back with Iowa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Line it up, Kick it one bounce to the has and have your mashers blow it up so you get the chance to recover.

You can now call a fair catch after the ball has bounced.

The Iowa bitching has made onside kicks basically a non-starter. Need more luck than good coaching or planning.

Santoso is a good kicker but he is terrible at onside kicks. Have to find a way to at least give your team a chance. Iowa players were very smart when they knew the ball wasn't going 10 yards they got the heck out of the way and just let it go out of bounds.

Has been a strange year seeing the special teams fail us at key moments. The past few seasons Special Teams play has been very solid but this season it has been shakey at best for the bulk of the season.

Can't do that any more. Onside kicks are much harder to recover now.

I'm pretty sure the only rule change was that the kicks are reviewable to make sure the ball travels 10 yards before we hit their receivers. We can still pooch it over their line and blow them up.

The kicks have been atrocious. Even if the ball goes 10 yards there is very little chance of success the way they are doing it.

On King's long kickoff return I have to wonder if they asked Santoso to kick it high instead of deep. That was a huge play as we just scored to get within 6 and then momentum was back with Iowa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know what would be worse...Santoso screwing up and not kicking it deep or that he was told to do that?

Special teams have been bad all year. Last two years they were excellent.

Drop kicks went out with the Jim Thorp Story. The football was much more oval then. Go outside today and take a regulation football and try and drop kick it. It's not just dropping the ball. If you hit an irregular spot in the ground you're screwed.

Special Teams have been abysmal all year.

Kick off and punt coverage....dear gawd.

Top Bottom