Not letting them score

Reaction score
To me, this pretty much sums up the ability of the coaching staff. With 2 minutes left and 1 timeout they should have just let ISU score. The game was effectively over, yet they had no idea what the best approach to tie the game was. A TD and 2 point conversion ties it. Unlikey - yes. Impossible - no. Impossible is thinking that you can stop them with 1 timeout and get the ball back in time to score.

To me, this pretty much sums up the ability of the coaching staff. With 2 minutes left and 1 timeout they should have just let ISU score. The game was effectively over, yet they had no idea what the best approach to tie the game was. A TD and 2 point conversion ties it. Unlikey - yes. Impossible - no. Impossible is thinking that you can stop them with 1 timeout and get the ball back in time to score.

This has nothing to do with your post (which I neither agree nor disagree with), but it does regard your moniker, and I would like to point out that, while I had my doubts about Cosgrove and hated his 3rd-and-long zones, the fact of the matter was that the defense was plenty good this season to have a good chance at double-digit wins.

If any of Mason's teams after the year 2000 had had this defense, the Gophers would have made at least one Rose Bowl and played in a few New Years Day bowls. If Mason's 2006 team would have had this defense, Mason would still be the coach, and Cosgrove would likely not be here.

Big assumption

You're assuming that whoever had the ball for ISU would have actually went in for the score. For all we know, the ISU coaching staff covered that possibility with the position players, told them not to take it the distance if the Rodents let them.

Try holding them to a three and out and getting in field goal range is just as good of an option IMO.

Top Bottom