Not a Start Phil Nelson Thread but a Nelson Thread.

rivergopher

Reaction score
Was looking on gophersports.coms boxscore and looking at players participating and it lists Nelson. I am guessing that he didn't play special teams and that it just must list everyone that traveled. Any thoughts because that would be a huge mistake in my mind. That being said not counting Nelson I count 6 true Freshman who played last night.

Have to believe it is a clerical error on him playing, but at this early point in his career I trust the coaches will make the best decision on him. IMO no sense in having him and Leidner in same class. Hell one of them could still end up at a different position.

I would agree if you are going to play him then play him, but on special teams? What I mean by that is if you work him into a series here or there. Also if he his your only option as a back up but I really am hoping it is a data entry error. Kill has been coaching a long time so I guess I will trust his judgement but why would you not want this kid to have 4 years to battle for the job. Happy with a win just a little confused.

Have to believe it is a clerical error on him playing, but at this early point in his career I trust the coaches will make the best decision on him. IMO no sense in having him and Leidner in same class. Hell one of them could still end up at a different position.

theres plenty of sense in having them in the same class. they can push each other to be better for 4-5 years. its not like you want to waste one of your studs (potential) years just so that his potential backup will get to start a year.

Could they have wrong #9? James Manual shares a number with him.

It lists them both as playing, I have seen it listed in two different spots. I really hope this isn't the case.

You know, I use to give those participation reports a lot more validity, but now I'm beginning to think they aren't very reliable at all. For example, I know for a fact that Antonio Johnson (#11) played last night because the camera recorded him jogging off the field after a special teams play (kick coverage, if memory serves). The participation report does list him, but shows him as #1 for some reason (while showing Vereen as Vareen and #2 instead of #21). There's no way Nelson played last night. It's too confusing for people who don't know the players, especially when two players have the same number. There was an instance last night where they were talking about James Gillum for around 10-15 seconds and they were showing Vereen (both #21) the whole time on camera while talking about Gillum.

Top Bottom