Not a single running back besides Mo got a carry?

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
Someone else on here mentioned coaching malpractice. That is exactly what this is. In a game that was 35-0 at one point, we only hand the ball to one running back?

Beyond words. We can look at play design, tempo, run/pass/go for it decisions, but this is just insane.

Of the things to worry about after last night's game I don't think this one even registers anywhere close to the top of the list.

Potts was out, Wiley has been undewhelming. I guess maybe you could throw someone like Thomas or Williamson out there but my guess is that maybe those guys (Wiley might be in this as well) are not that good at pass protection.

Right or wrong, Fleck tends to stick with his starters until very late even in blow out wins and losses. If it was me I probably wouldn't have had Mo or Morgan out there in the 4th but I'm not shocked that Fleck didn't make the switch.

Of the things to worry about after last night's game I don't think this one even registers anywhere close to the top of the list.

Potts was out, Wiley has been undewhelming. I guess maybe you could throw someone like Thomas or Williamson out there but my guess is that maybe those guys (Wiley might be in this as well) are not that good at pass protection.

Right or wrong, Fleck tends to stick with his starters until very late even in blow out wins and losses. If it was me I probably wouldn't have had Mo or Morgan out there in the 4th but I'm not shocked that Fleck didn't make the switch.
Bateman out there at 35-0, and we wonder why we have no depth.

I think Cam Wiley had one decent carry but was called back with a holding call
Yes. There was was hand off not to Mo, but it evaporated from the stat sheet because of a holding call (Andries?).

Yes. There was was hand off not to Mo, but it evaporated from the stat sheet because of a holding call (Andries?).
Was a BS holding call, too. Par for the course with this game and this ref crew.

If that was holding, then every OL holds on every play (which is pretty much true).

Our refusal to play backups in mop up duty is just weird. I think it's a big issue but I can't even imagine what they are trying to accomplish. Is it really just for stats?

Was a BS holding call, too. Par for the course with this game and this ref crew.

If that was holding, then every OL holds on every play (which is pretty much true).
Mike Periera said it was a great call so clearly it was. /s

Our refusal to play backups in mop up duty is just weird. I think it's a big issue but I can't even imagine what they are trying to accomplish. Is it really just for stats?

If the Gophers had even made that one field goal in Q3 and had 3 points, I think we would have seen the backups. I don't think guys were out there for individual numbers. It was pretty clearly about not getting shut out as a team last night.

If the Gophers had even made that one field goal in Q3 and had 3 points, I think we would have seen the backups. I don't think guys were out there for individual numbers. It was pretty clearly about not getting shut out as a team last night.

That is a really weird reason to risk injury on a a guy heading into the draft and another guy averaging over 30 carries per game. To me, there is no difference between 35-0 and 35-7 (with a garbage time TD).

That is a really weird reason to risk injury on a a guy heading into the draft and another guy averaging over 30 carries per game. To me, there is no difference between 35-0 and 35-7 (with a garbage time TD).

I'm with you. I'm just trying to psycho-analyze PJ Fleck. At least there's not forever a bagel in our column on Floyd. If we ever get it back.

I'm with you. I'm just trying to psycho-analyze PJ Fleck. At least there's not forever a bagel in our column on Floyd. If we ever get it back.

I am not sure it was just about avoiding the shutout. Fleck has stuck with his starters (especially on offense) way deeper into lopsided games than most other teams would have. For whatever reason he is very hesitant to put a backup QB in or sub out key skill guys.

Look at 2019 - we had 4 wins by over 20 points and yet the backup QBs saw very limited action, even late in those games.

We run MO up the middle, on far too many plays yesterday. We need to get more creative than that.

Top Bottom