Not a Dig: Just Dont Have the Players Yet

victor04

Reaction score
This is not meant to bash the team, I still plan on watching many games this year, and like the direction of the program, just a realist.

This may seem obvious to many of you, but as of right now on our team we just dont have the caliber of players needed to make some noise this year. Even more so, with Mcneial not being on the team anymore (our room for error was allready razor thin), we just dont have the bodies to even be fully competitive yet. I think we need to realize we are 2 years away, since next year we will be so young, from being a threat to the Big 10 and beyond. I like what Pitino is doing, but overhauls take some time. Lets be patient guys and enjoy the ride.

I'm fine being patient, but I completely disagree with the notion that we don't have the players yet. This team with guts should be 3-1 in the B1G

When the seniors you were counting on are making a large portion of your mental errors, it's gonna be tough to win games on the road.

I'm fine being patient, but I completely disagree with the notion that we don't have the players yet. This team with guts should be 3-1 in the B1G

Yep, 4 starters back from a 25 win team. Talent level is ok; mentally this team is horrid.

We don't have players with guts. It's been a dig on gopher teams of the past, and it's still present in Andre, mo and deandre. Andre played a fantastic game up until a couple none head turnovers down the stretch.

We do have the players. You don't get up by 8+ in the second half, on the road, against both Purdue and Michigan without having talent.

We lack the mental toughness and the strength to close teams out. The team just goes stupid and folds at the end of games.

Yep, 4 starters back from a 25 win team. Talent level is ok; mentally this team is horrid.

4 starters back from a non-NCAA qualifying team with the previous years best 2 players either gone or injured.

We do have the players. You don't get up by 8+ in the second half, on the road, against both Purdue and Michigan without having talent.

We lack the mental toughness and the strength to close teams out. The team just goes stupid and folds at the end of games.
goes stupid does sum it up

Sorry, but that's crap. This team was one or two wins away from the NCAA's and returned a senior back-court. Yes, we miss Austin Hollins, but the addition of Mason and Morris more than offsets. This team is much better than this and playing like garbage.

The team has a bunch of role players. The only guy on the roster with the ability to be the go to scorer is Hollins and he is hurt and playing poorly.
Hard to close games with a team full of roll players.

Sorry, but that's crap. This team was one or two wins away from the NCAA's and returned a senior back-court. Yes, we miss Austin Hollins, but the addition of Mason and Morris more than offsets. This team is much better than this and playing like garbage.
The reason this team made a run was because Austin Hollins stepped up and became a go to player at the end of the year. When he wasn't doing that the team couldn't close games last year either. Which is why the went NIT. Someone has to become to go to player.
Is there a guy on the team that is capable of doing that? A healthy Hollins is the only one I see

This is not meant to bash the team, I still plan on watching many games this year, and like the direction of the program, just a realist.

This may seem obvious to many of you, but as of right now on our team we just dont have the caliber of players needed to make some noise this year. Even more so, with Mcneial not being on the team anymore (our room for error was allready razor thin), we just dont have the bodies to even be fully competitive yet. I think we need to realize we are 2 years away, since next year we will be so young, from being a threat to the Big 10 and beyond. I like what Pitino is doing, but overhauls take some time. Lets be patient guys and enjoy the ride.

I couldn't disagree more with this post. There is no reason this talent couldn't win at least 9 games in the conference this year. The Big Ten is the easiest it has been in awhile.

I'm generally not someone to put the blame on one person, but I'm seriously starting to doubt Pitino and this coaching staff. I don't like the direction this program is going. We can make all the excuses we want (Pitino doesn't have his type of players, etc), but there is no reason this team should be performing like this. None.

I couldn't disagree more with this post. There is no reason this talent couldn't win at least 9 games in the conference this year. The Big Ten is the easiest it has been in awhile.

I'm generally not someone to put the blame on one person, but I'm seriously starting to doubt Pitino and this coaching staff. I don't like the direction this program is going. We can make all the excuses we want (Pitino doesn't have his type of players, etc), but there is no reason this team should be performing like this. None.

Agree 100%. If his last name was Putowski instead of Pitino people on here would have a completely different attitude. Ignore the last name and look at the product on the floor.

The reason this team made a run was because Austin Hollins stepped up and became a go to player at the end of the year. When he wasn't doing that the team couldn't close games last year either. Which is why the went NIT. Someone has to become to go to player.
Is there a guy on the team that is capable of doing that? A healthy Hollins is the only one I see

It wasn't all Austin. Little Dre is (or was) a good B1G point guard. Mo is a good B1G center. Dre is a good B1G 2 guard. This is not a bad team. Don't make excuses for them.

The loss not surprising but a senior lead team simply can't meltdown like this continuously.

Don't think this is the bottom. Expecting a loss at home to Iowa and that will be when the bottom is reached.

If only Pitino would have caught that pass down low from Mason, or completed that pass out of the trap, or made those 4 bunnies under the basket as a 7' big 10 center.

He should get those kids to shoot better than 60% from the free throw line too. Or he should get his pg to throw the ball 10 feet lower on a dribble drive.

The floow?
It's linoleum!

I disagree with the notion that you need a "go to guy" to win basketball games. Austin Hollins didn't do much of anything in the first two NIT games last year.

Was there really one particular player who carried Michigan in their comeback win today? There really isn't one guy in particular that stands out to me, yet they found a way to win.

Pretty tough to even watch this team right now. A double digit lead on the road is like kryptonite. Don't get me wrong 17 turnovers and folding again cost them more but to me pitino again took too many unneedded timeouts and we looked I'll prepared for the 1-3-1. Come on its Michigan. I think a certain percentage of mental toghness comes from the top down. Our coach is taking some lumps he got out coached once again by a guy with hundreds more wins then him. He is learning on the job and I guess that is to be expected when you hire a young coach with one season under his belt. I hope they get things turned around and can find a way to get to even 9-9. Next year looks to be a long year again. Just depressing right now.

I'm starting to think Hollins is playing worse than he was last year when he was injured. No excuses for this team, it's all mental. That's what turn overs are usually about, being mentally and physically lazy. We basically gave the game away.

If only Pitino would have caught that pass down low from Mason, or completed that pass out of the trap, or made those 4 bunnies under the basket as a 7' big 10 center.

He should get those kids to shoot better than 60% from the free throw line too. Or he should get his pg to throw the ball 10 feet lower on a dribble drive.

Every single thing you listed is the problem of the coaching staff. Their failure to prepare this team for B1G play is glaring.

It wasn't all Austin. Little Dre is (or was) a good B1G point guard. Mo is a good B1G center. Dre is a good B1G 2 guard. This is not a bad team. Don't make excuses for them.

Their record says they are a bad team. I don't think they are a bad team, but they are a painfully mediocre team.
They also may recover and become a 6-10 win big ten team. Making them a mediocre team. Which is what I would argue their roster is.

Every single thing you listed is the problem of the coaching staff. Their failure to prepare this team for B1G play is glaring.

You're right, Pitino should have all of his players doing the 75% free throw shooting drill and not the 60% one.

I am beginning to have serious doubts about player development also besides Walker has any player gotten better under Pitino? Maybe Buggs but he doesn't play him. Mathieu, Hollins, Eliason all have taken a step backwards. Joey king is Joey King he is a 10 minute player playing 30 due to stubbornness and a miss in recruiting which happens.

They've got enough talent to build second half leads against Purdue and Michigan. Just don't have the guys to finish the game. Those have been two pretty pathetic losses.

The good news is that with how hard I keep hearing it is to win on the road in the Big Ten, Iowa and Rutgers have almost no chance of beating us.

They've got enough talent to build second half leads against Purdue and Michigan. Just don't have the guys to finish the game. Those have been two pretty pathetic losses.

The good news is that with how hard I keep hearing it is to win on the road in the Big Ten, Iowa and Rutgers have almost no chance of beating us.

Maybe u missed Michigan state's drubbing AT Iowa the other day

I'm not sure what happened to Andre Hollins. Tubby's last year in the NCAA Tourney, he was a dagger. Ever since, a puppy.

Things like this happen to every team. How about the easy bunny missed at the end of regulation by that OSU center?

The point is that he fails to adjust the team to the opponent. Why do other teams continue to gain and pass us in the final five minutes? It's been three games now. Talent? Players? It's the passive coaching. Pitino doesn't know when to use his TOs effectively.

Top Bottom