Norwood Teague Hiring Press Conference Notes

GopherLady

Reaction score
These are my unedited notes. I gotta tell you, I have a feeling that this guy "gets" it. Very impressive with just a 1st impression:

Eric Kaler:
• Great pleasure to introduce you to Norwood Teague, the new AD, pending approval by Board or Regents
• He is the real deal and a true professional. Vast experience with athletics and marketing.
• Should make for a robust and
• Checklist was long, diverse and demanding. He has experience, commitment to academic excellence, fundraiser, marketing background, facilities development, commitment to gender equity, winning (he transformed VCU in this), He believes in winning and wining the right way, as do I - all of these were checked off the list with Norwood.
• Undergrad from UNC, one of the nation's top public research universities, and his degree was in Political Science.
• He has 20 years of experience, football is not new to Norwood. Most of those years were with football programs. I'm extremely confident that he is equipped.
• Facilities are a front door and window into universities.
• I want to express my sincere thanks to the 20 members of the search committee, and the 4 person search committee. I want to thank our coaches, and athletic staff. I'm excited Norwood is our leader. Thank you to Joel Maturi for his 10 years as our AD.

Norwood Teague:
• Thrilled to be part of the U of MN, and the state of Minnesota.
• I have big shoes to fill after Joel Maturi, who saw the University through some changing times. I look forward to being great friends with him. Congratulations to Joel for 10 years, and let's give him a big hand. He also tells me he runs everyday at 67 years old, I was impressed by that.
• Why was I so interested in this job? I think U of MN athletics has a lot of room for growht and the ceiling is very high. I do think that facilities will be a challenge, but I think there's a good base that has been put in place. We have outstanding coaches, that was a big interest to me.
• Most of all, I have detected a burning desire from Gopher fans for improvement to win at a higher level.
• I enjoy fundraising. We raised literally millions at VCU for a number of things.
• I wanted to get back to a football job, I have 13 years of experience with football. As I was getting ready to take my job at VCU, I was hesitant, because it was bball centric. I talked to Tim Delany about that, and he said I had been to 3 football schools, go for it, you can get to a football school after that.
• Also, another attractive part of this job, is it's part of a major metro area. It's great for fundraising.
• There's a lot of people that need to come to our games, that don't. There are a lot of people that need to financially support us, that aren't.
• I have MN connections and roots. 7 years ago, my father was widowed as my mother passed from Alzheimer's after being married 53 years. My father married a 73 year old Minnesotan, when he was 77, she was born in Dodge city, Dodge center. Her Dad played bball here at the U. His bro was a teammate of Bronco Nagurski.
• I do think sky is the limit here.
• Challenges in facilities - I know that there has been some. TCF bank is immaculate, but there are other issues. We're in the Big 10, so we need to have Big 10 facilities. Our facilities are high on our list. I'm going to evaluate that in the next 3-4 months. I'm going to start a master facility plan here, and set a vision in place for what we want, and how we want it.
• Sometimes you just have a feel, and that's what I had here. It fit my skill set as far as fundraising. I really enjoy the metro environment. This department is not broken, Joel has left a legacy to build on, be it in women's athletics or what not. I came up here on my own for a trip up here for 2 days, and I asked questions all over town about MN athletics, and it gave me a great feel of this place.
• 119% revenue increase at VCU, you have to have strong relationships with current donors, and donors you're going to cultivate. You have to be gregarious, and aggressive, put a program in place that people can feel good about.
• I think it's acknowledging that football is important, and that's 1/2 the battle. You need to market and fill seats, a lot of little things.
• Fundraising - 97% of the fundraising happened before the Final Four. It helped the basketball program in there.
• Shaka - he has some years left at VCU. This is the 1st time he has his full team there, plus, he was born in Madison WI, so there would be issues with him coming here.

I gotta tell you, I have a feeling that this guy "gets" it. Very impressive with just a 1st impression

I agree. Reminds me very much of Coach Kill's first presser. Love the anti-Badger bit.

Pretty stupid to ask about Shaka Smart with Coach Smith sitting in the Audience. Sound like the guy is the man, however. Zero Hockey references is a bit odd, though.

Will he become a member on GopherHole?

Maybe Doogie can show him how.

Teague Presser - Was anyone listening to KFAN?

KSTP 1500 left the presser after 10 minutes - obviously had more important things to cover. So I switched over to KFAN who was still covering. When Teague opened up for questions the first question was duped over with the Barbara Walters question "what are your thoughts on wearing women's underwear"? My 14 year old son was with me in the car a we looked at each other like -just you just hear what I heard? . Classless move by the FAN. I would like to see them try that with Ziggy's next presser.

Watching the conference I got a sense that he really understands how important proper B10 quality facilities are to be able to compete at the highest level. It also seemed like he really knew how to support his coaches to give them the means to be as successful as possible. I for one am hopeful for the future.

Zero Hockey references is a bit odd, though.

Well, it is the one key sport that you'd have to assume he has no experience with whatsoever. It's also the sport with the fewest (or at least, the least pressing) facilities needs.

Pretty stupid to ask about Shaka Smart with Coach Smith sitting in the Audience. Sound like the guy is the man, however. Zero Hockey references is a bit odd, though.
My guess is he has a lot to learn about hockey.

Well, it is the one key sport that you'd have to assume he has no experience with whatsoever. It's also the sport with the fewest (or at least, the least pressing) facilities needs.

My guess is he has a lot to learn about hockey.

Yeah. tDon, Robinson and Anderson have had those years of experience within the community. We have a lot of strong coaches who do a lot of things on their own.

KSTP 1500 left the presser after 10 minutes - obviously had more important things to cover. So I switched over to KFAN who was still covering. When Teague opened up for questions the first question was duped over with the Barbara Walters question "what are your thoughts on wearing women's underwear"? My 14 year old son was with me in the car a we looked at each other like -just you just hear what I heard? . Classless move by the FAN. I would like to see them try that with Ziggy's next presser.

KFAN/Barriero/Common does that with EVERY presser where you can't hear the question being asked (the mic doesn't get to the question asker fast enough, etc). It's common practice. I don't have a problem with it.

I would invite you to listen to any Chicago presser, especially ones hosted by the Boers and Bernstein Show. They make pressers fun.

Not to make a huge deal but I think football is in a better position facility-wise than hockey. Not saying at all that hockey has bad or outdated facilities (I know Lucia made some comments in the last year alluding to that) because Mariucci is one of the best in the land and Ridder is the finest women's arena (if you consider that many other programs don't have their own sheet of ice to play/practice on).

Football has the newest facility, locker room, training centers, and can generate more revenue than any other venue due to the variety of licensed seating and suites. Mariucci could use a suite facelift (though I've been in my corporate suite a few times and really have 0 complaints).

I would also say that omitting hockey from the discussion (other than to pander to a hockey-focused state) has a decent amount to do with the relative strength of the program this past year and decade compared to football and basketball.

Not to make a huge deal but I think football is in a better position facility-wise than hockey. Not saying at all that hockey has bad or outdated facilities (I know Lucia made some comments in the last year alluding to that) because Mariucci is one of the best in the land and Ridder is the finest women's arena (if you consider that many other programs don't have their own sheet of ice to play/practice on).

Football has the newest facility, locker room, training centers, and can generate more revenue than any other venue due to the variety of licensed seating and suites. Mariucci could use a suite facelift (though I've been in my corporate suite a few times and really have 0 complaints).

I would also say that omitting hockey from the discussion (other than to pander to a hockey-focused state) has a decent amount to do with the relative strength of the program this past year and decade compared to football and basketball.

I'd say they are pretty equal. But it sounds like Kill still wants to see improvements to the practice facilities for FB both in terms of quality (Rod Wallace has the leaky roof) and access (RW is also shared with other sports/groups). I'm sure there are other improvements needed at the Nagurski complex (since that's where the team spends the bulk of their time).

On the hockey side I think The Don has been asking for updates to the locker room but I'm not sure what else they really need (since they have plenty of access to ice sheets). Maybe a new training table? You'd think that a suite facelift would likely be funded via the new PSL's (after they deal with the scoreboard and add ribbon boards) but additional fundraising could def be needed.

If you have to pick, I could see FB getting the nod b/c of it's role as the primary revenue generator for the dept and the fact that the improvements would be directly related to the staff's ability to improve the team. That's a judgement call though, and I'm glad it sounds like we have an AD capable of making the plan for those decisions and the ability to fundraise them to completion.

Zero Hockey references is a bit odd, though.

This might make you feel better. :)

2nlebrl.jpg

These are my unedited notes. I gotta tell you, I have a feeling that this guy "gets" it. Very impressive with just a 1st impression:

Eric Kaler:
• Great pleasure to introduce you to Norwood Teague, the new AD, pending approval by Board or Regents
• He is the real deal and a true professional. Vast experience with athletics and marketing.
• Should make for a robust and
• Checklist was long, diverse and demanding. He has experience, commitment to academic excellence, fundraiser, marketing background, facilities development, commitment to gender equity, winning (he transformed VCU in this), He believes in winning and wining the right way, as do I - all of these were checked off the list with Norwood.
• Undergrad from UNC, one of the nation's top public research universities, and his degree was in Political Science.
• He has 20 years of experience, football is not new to Norwood. Most of those years were with football programs. I'm extremely confident that he is equipped.
• Facilities are a front door and window into universities.
• I want to express my sincere thanks to the 20 members of the search committee, and the 4 person search committee. I want to thank our coaches, and athletic staff. I'm excited Norwood is our leader. Thank you to Joel Maturi for his 10 years as our AD.

Norwood Teague:
• Thrilled to be part of the U of MN, and the state of Minnesota.
• I have big shoes to fill after Joel Maturi, who saw the University through some changing times. I look forward to being great friends with him. Congratulations to Joel for 10 years, and let's give him a big hand. He also tells me he runs everyday at 67 years old, I was impressed by that.
• Why was I so interested in this job? I think U of MN athletics has a lot of room for growht and the ceiling is very high. I do think that facilities will be a challenge, but I think there's a good base that has been put in place. We have outstanding coaches, that was a big interest to me.
• Most of all, I have detected a burning desire from Gopher fans for improvement to win at a higher level.
• I enjoy fundraising. We raised literally millions at VCU for a number of things.
• I wanted to get back to a football job, I have 13 years of experience with football. As I was getting ready to take my job at VCU, I was hesitant, because it was bball centric. I talked to Tim Delany about that, and he said I had been to 3 football schools, go for it, you can get to a football school after that.
Also, another attractive part of this job, is it's part of a major metro area. It's great for fundraising.
• There's a lot of people that need to come to our games, that don't. There are a lot of people that need to financially support us, that aren't.
• I have MN connections and roots. 7 years ago, my father was widowed as my mother passed from Alzheimer's after being married 53 years. My father married a 73 year old Minnesotan, when he was 77, she was born in Dodge city, Dodge center. Her Dad played bball here at the U. His bro was a teammate of Bronco Nagurski.
• I do think sky is the limit here.
• Challenges in facilities - I know that there has been some. TCF bank is immaculate, but there are other issues. We're in the Big 10, so we need to have Big 10 facilities. Our facilities are high on our list. I'm going to evaluate that in the next 3-4 months. I'm going to start a master facility plan here, and set a vision in place for what we want, and how we want it.
• Sometimes you just have a feel, and that's what I had here. It fit my skill set as far as fundraising. I really enjoy the metro environment. This department is not broken, Joel has left a legacy to build on, be it in women's athletics or what not. I came up here on my own for a trip up here for 2 days, and I asked questions all over town about MN athletics, and it gave me a great feel of this place.
• 119% revenue increase at VCU, you have to have strong relationships with current donors, and donors you're going to cultivate. You have to be gregarious, and aggressive, put a program in place that people can feel good about.
• I think it's acknowledging that football is important, and that's 1/2 the battle. You need to market and fill seats, a lot of little things.
• Fundraising - 97% of the fundraising happened before the Final Four. It helped the basketball program in there.
• Shaka - he has some years left at VCU. This is the 1st time he has his full team there, plus, he was born in Madison WI, so there would be issues with him coming here.

The two bold parts really stood out to me. I like this guy. Seems like a man with a plan. He knows non-revenue sports are important but revenue sports drive the machine.

Tweet from Seth Kaplan of Channel 9: "Just finished up 1-on-1 with new AD Norwood Teague airing tonight at 9 on @myfox9. Says he's a big hockey fan, watched a lot in NC."

Go Gophers!!

I was the one that asked that question. And quite honestly, it's because I get a zillion questions and tweets about it non-stop. Wanted to get the quote to put all the rumors to rest, because it's not going to happen, ever. And to bring Shaka up non-stop and coming to MN is the silly thinking in my book.

As for hockey - no one asked questions about it. And let's be honest - we need our football program to generate more revenue, that was certainly more of the focus.

I was the one that asked that question. And quite honestly, it's because I get a zillion questions and tweets about it non-stop. Wanted to get the quote to put all the rumors to rest, because it's not going to happen, ever. And to bring Shaka up non-stop and coming to MN is the silly thinking in my book.

Teague answered the question as he had to today. He has a coach in place so there was no other answer. I am in agreement with you that the Smart related questions now are of no value. I do not agree with the "it's not going to happen ever". If Tubby decided he has had enough at some point in the future (after this year, in two years), I would think that Smart would be a candidate. If Teague and Smart have a strong relationship, I wouldn't be surprised to see Teague consider Smart at some point in the future. With that being said, it's not in play at all for the immediate future.

CrocShots said:

Who's the idiot that did that?

I caught a little bit of Reusse's show between 2-2:45.

He seemed fairly dismissive of the Teague hiring. His take seemed to be that "no big-time candidates wanted the job." (my paraphrasing) As far as the Gophers, he spent some time putting down/making fun of the spring game (claimed the attendance was 1500 - compared it to attendance at the Ohio State spring game.)
He also took some shots at Gray (including mis-pronouncing his 1st name). In order words - same old, same old.

Top Bottom