Northwestern plans to tear down Ryan Field, build an $800M replacement

The worst stadium in the conference would be knocked down after the 2023 season, with the new one with a smaller capacity ready by 2026. It would be privately funded.

I have always enjoyed going to games there. Will definitely go again next year for our last visit. Looks like the new digs will be impressive.

Looks really nice. I wonder what exactly capacity will be? Smaller, but by how much?

I assume they just play in soldier field in the meantime

Or maybe they Move some to neutral sites

They should just host home games at their practice facility on Lake Michigan. Attendance would probably be short of fire code so no worries there.

Still a couple K bigger capacity than Washington State. But among the smallest power 5 stadiums.

They really had to shoehorn in a playing field at Wrigley, if I remember correctly.
Last year against Purdue wasn't an issue. There first one vs Illinois about 10 yrs ago was a mess, but the remodel that was completed a few years ago fixed the teams having to start all offensive posessions in the same direction issue.

A game or 2 at New Comisky also an option.

Last year against Purdue wasn't an issue. There first one vs Illinois about 10 yrs ago was a mess, but the remodel that was completed a few years ago fixed the teams having to start all offensive posessions in the same direction issue.

A game or 2 at New Comisky also an option.
The Bears played at Wrigley through about 1970 or so.

Doesn't Northwestern desperately need a new basketball arena?

I have always enjoyed going to games there. Will definitely go again next year for our last visit. Looks like the new digs will be impressive.
Always have loved the road trip to Evanston as well. They are very wise to bring a revenue producing stadium to their campus. It will be a jewel and the newest monument to the geographical center of the Big Ten Conference: Chicago. With the California additions to the conference, this will make the Chicago Big Ten trip a great trip for all who wish to make it a real event from the Eat Coast to the West Coast.

I love our 50,000 HBS that sits perfectly right where it belongs on the U of M Campus. Sometimes a smaller stadium fits the setting on a campus…especially in a major city that has an NFL franchise. The U of M forms a presence on the Big Ten’s northern exposure…a true: “…northern star…”

Good for NU! Good for the Big Ten Conference!

Last edited:

They gutted Welsh-Ryan several years ago and rebuilt it. It was a reallly small venue that they actually reduced capacity for, like they plan to do with the new football stadium. Really nice, intimate place to watch a game.
They have decreased the capacity of Williams more than once since the 70’s. I think to the betterment.

They ought to be a roof on Ryan Field at that price! Living only 20 minutes from Evanston, we will go more often. The job they did on Welsh-Ryan was impressive.

They have decreased the capacity of Williams more than once since the 70’s. I think to the betterment.

It's hard to believe Williams used to hold 18,000+. The whole seating arrangement must have been like the student section; benches with narrow-ass painted spots that were more of a suggestion than reality.

Top Bottom