Northwestern on a Roll

WorkingMyTailOff

Reaction score
Indiana at Northwestern was a really entertaining game tonight. Jackson-Davis led IU back from down 22 to tie the game back up only to have Buie score on a late basket (where he arm cleared his defender). I sure do miss exciting B1G basketball. NW has beat four ranked teams in a row and their fans are loving it!

Watched the post game press conference. Both those coaches are very impressive.

Northwestern got blown out by Ohio State at home in early January. The trajectory of those two teams has changed dramatically since that time. Wow.

Chris Collins is runaway coach of the year in the conference barring a collapse in the last five games.

Northwestern got blown out by Ohio State at home in early January. The trajectory of those two teams has changed dramatically since that time. Wow.
It’s amazing how much locker room chemistry and age matters. NW has older guards who play well together and could sustain losing their starting frontcourt. They also were able to not fall apart after that loss.
Chris Collins is runaway coach of the year in the conference barring a collapse in the last five games.
Matt Painter says hi! He wins out it’ll be close.

They were talking on last night’s BTN broadcast about how much of a difference the addition of Chris Lowery has made to the coaching staff and the team, especially by creating an intense defensive identity. He was head coach at Southern Illinois for 8 years, and an assistant at K-State for another 10. This is the kind of experience an unproven coach like Johnson should’ve brought into his staff from Day 1, and if he’s as smart as everyone says he is, will do this off-season to create an identity, improve the team and save his own ass.

They were talking on last night’s BTN broadcast about how much of a difference the addition of Chris Lowery has made to the coaching staff and the team, especially by creating an intense defensive identity. He was head coach at Southern Illinois for 8 years, and an assistant at K-State for another 10. This is the kind of experience an unproven coach like Johnson should’ve brought into his staff from Day 1, and if he’s as smart as everyone says he is, will do this off-season to create an identity, improve the team and save his own ass.
In fairness, that's why Dave Thorson was hired. He was on Niko Medved's successful CSU staff, on Clem's staff here, and is an accomplished head coach in his own right. This is one of the things that doesn't add up this year: how is a team with Dave as their top assistant so fundamentally unsound?

We’re 8 games behind Northwestern in the conference standings. Never in my three-plus decades of Gophers hoops fandom did I ever think that could happen. But here we are.
They are also playing to capacity crowds with a charged atmosphere. Tough ticket in Evanston.

In fairness, that's why Dave Thorson was hired. He was on Niko Medved's successful CSU staff, on Clem's staff here, and is an accomplished head coach in his own right. This is one of the things that doesn't add up this year: how is a team with Dave as their top assistant so fundamentally unsound?
There's a sizable difference between adding a guy to your staff who's been a head coach for 8 years and 260 games, taking his teams to 3 NCAA tournaments, including to the Sweet 16 and round of 32, and one who was a college assistant for 4 years (although he obviously was a highly successful high school coach. EDIT: I neglected his previous stint as a Gophers assistant). Not saying Thorson is the guy who needs to be replaced, but it's clear that Ben needs high-level counsel that he's not getting from his current staff.

Last edited:

Chris Collins can coach.

Ben bungles basketball.

There's a sizable difference between adding a guy to your staff who's been a head coach for 8 years and 260 games, taking his teams to 3 NCAA tournaments, including to the Sweet 16 and round of 32, and one who was a college assistant for 4 years (although he obviously was a highly successful high school coach. EDIT: I neglected his previous stint as a Gophers assistant). Not saying Thorson is the guy who needs to be replaced, but it's clear that Ben needs high-level counsel that he's not getting from his current staff.
Interestingly, one of the reasons we were given for why we were supposed to be okay with this hire two years ago was that Ben was bringing Thorson on board with him. This was the centerpiece of builtbadgers' sales job of the Johnson hire.

It's not unusual in a situation like this for the narrative to move around a lot; I get it.

It’s amazing how much locker room chemistry and age matters. NW has older guards who play well together and could sustain losing their starting frontcourt. They also were able to not fall apart after that loss.

Matt Painter says hi! He wins out it’ll be close.

Amen to that! Those things can go a long way to makeup for overall talent deficits. Last year we had age at least. This year we have neither age nor chemistry. Collins deserves some praise but people should not forget that he had five straight overall losing seasons before this one. Improvement in the maturity, experience, and competency of personnel can do a lot to make any coach, teacher, or manager look good.

At this point, I'd guess that Collins would be the favorite for the same reason that Pitino won a conference coach of the year award in 2017.

Chris Collins can coach.

Ben bungles basketball.

Well, he is clearly a better coach at this point than Ben but remember that he had five straight overall losing seasons prior to this one. Never get too caught up in the moment when making conclusions.

Interestingly, one of the reasons we were given for why we were supposed to be okay with this hire two years ago was that Ben was bringing Thorson on board with him. This was the centerpiece of builtbadgers' sales job of the Johnson hire.

It's not unusual in a situation like this for the narrative to move around a lot; I get it.
I do wonder how much of that was Thorson being one of us and people’s familiarity with him and his accomplishments at DLS. If another coach had his resume with no connections to the program or state, would people have been enthusiastic about the possibilities? Probably not.

Yes. There should have been a mandate that Ben have someone with previous D-1 coaching experience on staff. I too thought Dave T was an acceptable substitute for that. Clearly he's not.

Well, he is clearly a better coach at this point than Ben but remember that he had five straight overall losing seasons prior to this one. Never get too caught up in the moment when making conclusions.
He doesn’t recruit well. Collins, that is. Northwestern is a tough spot for recruiting.

Somehow Duke does it with similar academic standards.

He doesn’t recruit well. Collins, that is. Northwestern is a tough spot for recruiting.

Yep, probably the toughest in the Big Ten (for basketball anyway).

I do wonder how much of that was Thorson being one of us and people’s familiarity with him and his accomplishments at DLS. If another coach had his resume with no connections to the program or state, would people have been enthusiastic about the possibilities? Probably not.
Yes. There should have been a mandate that Ben have someone with previous D-1 coaching experience on staff. I too thought Dave T was an acceptable substitute for that. Clearly he's not.
Dave has been well thought of around here for some time, going back to his tenure on Clem's staff for several years prior to leaving for the high school job. (So yes, he had previous D1 coaching experience, but maybe you're talking about head coaching experience.) I don't know if he was Medved's top assistant, but I remember some people on this board considering him a key man on the CSU staff and being giddy at the prospect of hiring him. Of course, CSU made the NCAAs the following year without skipping a beat, so...

Amen to that! Those things can go a long way to makeup for overall talent deficits. Last year we had age at least. This year we have neither age nor chemistry. Collins deserves some praise but people should not forget that he had five straight overall losing seasons before this one. Improvement in the maturity, experience, and competency of personnel can do a lot to make any coach, teacher, or manager look good.
Exactly!
At this point, I'd guess that Collins would be the favorite for the same reason that Pitino won a conference coach of the year award in 2017.
Yeah it’ll be interesting to see it play out

Dave has been well thought of around here for some time, going back to his tenure on Clem's staff for several years prior to leaving for the high school job. (So yes, he had previous D1 coaching experience, but maybe you're talking about head coaching experience.) I don't know if he was Medved's top assistant, but I remember some people on this board considering him a key man on the CSU staff and being giddy at the prospect of hiring him. Of course, CSU made the NCAAs the following year without skipping a beat, so...
He was Nikos head assistant.

William Avery says hello.

Northwestern's play this year is even more impressive when you realize that three former players are getting major minutes at Duke, North Carolina, and Indiana. Northwestern also only added one transfer this year, and he's a backup center off the bench.

Addition by subtraction.

Northwestern is definitely a sleeper tournament team.

1676689194206.png

“You pissing on my leg and telling me it’s rain again? This thread is clearly about how you want Ben Johnson fired because you don’t understand the ground up rebuild he is doing. You’re not smart enough to know it’s GROUND UP!!”

I doubt CBJ would last past year 4 with 4 losing seasons. Even in year 2 now the criticism is intense. We do need to give coach 4 years.

I doubt CBJ would last past year 4 with 4 losing seasons. Even in year 2 now the criticism is intense. We do need to give coach 4 years.

Agreed. without a mass exodus or scandal BenJo should get 4 years minimum.

Collins maybe earned a longer leash as a top assistant at a top program? Also had Covid year(s) as an excuse. Bought Pitino an extra year. He just didn’t win with it

Top Bottom