Northwestern is the first 'must-win' of the season

howeda7

Reaction score
The Indiana game was a slap in the face. The MSU game was a punch in the gut. But now the Gophers are facing thier first true 'must-win' game of the season. It's the results of the last two games that have made it so. 3-4, needing to get to 11-7. 3 losses in a row. At Ohio State looming as the next game on the schedule. If we lose to Northwestern at home, there'll be no way to stop the snowball rolling down the hill. Time to get it done boys.

MSU was a must win to get in the NCAAs according to a reasonable game plan for the season. Now NWU is a must win in order for us to go on a highly difficult run for the NCAAs. 11-7 is a must.

For now, a bye at BTT should be the goal

11-7 is a "must" only in terms of being a "lock" heading into Indianapolis. By all appearances now, the Gophers will have to do it the hard way. ... needing a win or two (vs. the upper-tier of the conference) in Indy just to legitimately be in the NCAA conversation. Not desirable by any means, not what we expected at the beginning of the season, but it's where we're at. Probably what we'll be faced with if we somehow finish 10-8.

A BTT first-round bye is within reach. For now, I've downsized my primary goal for the Gophers. ... finish 5th and avoid having to play the first day. Avoid playing one of the bottom-feeders who have nothing to lose.

My Opinion (Just That)

Gophers have 4 L that woulda/shoulda/coulda been W. Miami FL, Texas A&M, IU, and Mich St.

16-3 would look a LOT better than 12-7.

Northwestern is a scary team right now. The Gophers better show up to play.

Northwestern is a scary team right now. The Gophers better show up to play.

Agree 100 %

This is not your Father's Northwestern. Lets not forget they beat Purdue.
I have a feeling they are going to come into The Barn with a lot of fight and scrap.
Overlooking them would be a HUGE mistake as they could walk out of here with a win.

Agree 100 %

This is not your Father's Northwestern. Lets not forget they beat Purdue.
I have a feeling they are going to come into The Barn with a lot of fight and scrap.
Overlooking them would be a HUGE mistake as they could walk out of here with a win.

At this point I don't think the Gopher are/should be overlooking anyone.

It will all come down to 3 pt. shooting defense. NW can't win on the road without it. They have no post offense (Kyle Rawley makes RSIII look like Tim Duncan). There are no double team in the post worries. The perimeter defense has to push out on the shooters as much as possible without falling victim to back door cuts.

It will all come down to 3 pt. shooting defense.

And rebounding. The Gophers need to pound the boards like they're playing Michigan St and since Northwestern is a three point shooting team realizing a lot of those rebounds are going to be long.

Gophers have 4 L that woulda/shoulda/coulda been W. Miami FL, Texas A&M, IU, and Mich St.

16-3 would look a LOT better than 12-7.

Add Portland to that list - they've proven to be pretenders instead of contenders - no way we shoulda lost to those mutts.

Top Bottom